The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #76 of 583
Welcome to the club psone. Do you have the 600 ohm DT880? I too have read they're an excellent pairing with the MK IV so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I brought the MK IV SE to pair with the HD 650 as my first serious setup, but I hope to invest in a few additional headphones in the future, and the 880 600 ohm is on my list.

The DAC_I (or any DAC) is a very worthwhile investment to get the best out of your headphone and amp, plus is looks great with the MK IV stacked on top of it
smily_headphones1.gif
. My MK IV SE is currently on its way back from being repaired, but as soon as it's back in my possession I'll be posting some pictures (though I'm not sure I can match tiramisu515's excellent shots) and more comprehensive impressions - and enjoying its great sound of course.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #77 of 583

Quote:
Nice photo!
psone the DTE880 and LD MKIVSE are a nice combination, you will not be disappointed for sure.

I'm sure i won't be!, it will however be the standard version of the MK IV I'll be getting, my thinking being that i should probably not go too crazy on the spending front with this being my first HP amp and well given that I'm in Ireland if i did want to upgrade to the SE i can't imagine I'd have too much trouble when it came to selling on the standard edition.

These sort of items are almost impossible to find here and tend to get snapped up pretty quick!

Quote:
Welcome to the club psone. Do you have the 600 ohm DT880? I too have read they're an excellent pairing with the MK IV so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I brought the MK IV SE to pair with the HD 650 as my first serious setup, but I hope to invest in a few additional headphones in the future, and the 880 600 ohm is on my list.

The DAC_I (or any DAC) is a very worthwhile investment to get the best out of your headphone and amp, plus is looks great with the MK IV stacked on top of it
smily_headphones1.gif
. My MK IV SE is currently on its way back from being repaired, but as soon as it's back in my possession I'll be posting some pictures (though I'm not sure I can match tiramisu515's excellent shots) and more comprehensive impressions - and enjoying its great sound of course.

thanks for the welcome jr41, I have the 250ohm version of the DT880, my thinking being that I'd have to drive them from my Bravura, i had no intention of buying a headamp at the time as well as being under the impression that the higher the ohm the harder to drive( which I've since learned isn't always the case). Either way they are a monumental step up from the XDR-400 I'd been using. oh and i picked them up on Amazon for $175 so...

As for the DAC_I again its a case of hardly anyone having a bad word to say about it, it just seems like the obvious choice...I'd considered grabbing a Hot Audio WOW mainly because from a vfm standpoint they seem hard to beat, but this was before i came across the DAC_I, and now I've got this LD stack in my mind nothing else will do! :p

And congratulations on almost having your MK IV back!, hope its all smooth sailing this time around, what i was wondering though, was what were your initial shipping times like? It should be
fairly similar to here.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #79 of 583

Quote:
@psone
That is indeed a good price on the Beyers!

yea i was pretty pleased with myself on that score
beyersmile.png

just placed my order with David so hopefully I'll be a proud MK IV owner in the next couple of weeks.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #80 of 583
Congratulations, let us know what you think of it!

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #82 of 583
Finally received my replacement MK IV SE yesterday evening. Naturally I headed straight home and hooked it up for a few hours listening.

Sonic bliss has returned!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll let the unit burn in and then I'll post some further impressions.

I'll try to take some photos this weekend also - weather (light) permitting.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #83 of 583
Good news,  are you running stock tubes?

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #84 of 583
     Quote:
Finally received my replacement MK IV SE yesterday evening. Naturally I headed straight home and hooked it up for a few hours listening.

Sonic bliss has returned!

Grats! still waiting on mine, did any of you have a problem with your DHL tracking number? David emailed mine a week ago but so far i haven't been able to track the parcel.

I tried using both methods of tracking but no joy so far :frowning2:

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #85 of 583

@rosgr63

Thanks. I'm running the stock tubes for the SE, which are the M8100/CV4010 driver tubes and the 6H30PI (Gold-Pin) power tubes at the moment. Once it's burnt in I might try some tube rolling, but one of the reasons I went for the SE was that it comes with the premium tubes out-of-the-box, as I'm not sure how much I want to get into tube rolling (I guess I'll know once I try a couple of different types).

@psone

Cheers. Yeah, I think there was a problem, as the number David provides might not be a standard tracking number. David did provide a link to use when I sent the item back to China:

http://intmail.183.com.cn/item/trace/itemTraceAction.do

Perhaps it'll also work for your parcel. It might be that you have to wait for the package to hit UK shores before the number you have works. Did you try specifying a date range on the 'track by shipper's reference' page on DHL's website? I seem to recall that had something to do with it. You could try phoning DHL with the number you have and see if they can determine the normal tracking number from it?

Regardless, I hope it arrives soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #86 of 583
jr41 what brand are your M8100/CV4010?

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #87 of 583
thanks for the link jr41, sadly that was a no go, i did try playing around with the dates for the shipper's reference but that didn't make any difference.

I dropped David an email yesterday so no doubt I'll here back from him soon enough, i guess I'm just being overly eager
beyersmile.png
There is so much snow here at the moment that even if it was in the country i couldn't see it being delivered til next week anyway :p

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #89 of 583
Most likely Mullard, excellent tubes I use them too.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #90 of 583
Hi all,

new to the forums and headphones in general. I'm considering buying an amp for my Grado Sr325is cans and I'm interested in the LD Mk III or Mk IV. Can someone tell me the difference in sound between these two models with the SR325 (low impedance)? 

Rosgr63  - you have these cans don't you? Could you give a mini review of the way they sound with the Mk IV? I play mainly rock, jazz and alt country/folk styles of music and value a strong, deep bass and general transparency. I'm wondering if they would suit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back