The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #31 of 583

Quote:
if your operational system is either Vista or Windows 7 then your music will sound bright, that's why I don't use PC as the transport any more. Windows Xp has a much more neutral sound, you should try it if you haven't already.

Really? I don't recall noticing a difference in this regard when switching from XP to 7. Perhaps my system wasn't resolving enough at the time (and it was a long time ago!). As I understand it, if you use something like WASAPI with Foobar2000, you bypass any OS specific sound processing, so this may be something to try if the OS really has that much of a bearing on sound signature. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #32 of 583
Proud MKIVSE owner for 2+ years....
beerchug.gif

In reference to the jumpers, a while back they were selling some extended jumpers on ebay for the MKIV that were very easy to change.  I did a quick search, however atm nothing came up.  Maybe an email to David.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #33 of 583

Quote:
Hi kwang411, I'm not sure what could be causing your problem. What gain setting do you have you amplifier on? From previous reading I believe it's recommended to have the HD 650 on gain 10. Since the HD 800 is also 300 ohm, it may be that 10 is also the best setting for the HD 800. I recall comments were made that adjusting the gain affected sound (particularly bass), but whether it will address an overly bright sound I'm not sure.

Have you got another source you could use to determine whether the Xonar is the cause?

My gain setting is on 4, because 5 and 10 are just way too loud for me. Even at 4, i only need to turn my LD to 3 or at most 4 for normal listening sessions.
I've tried different gains, but didn't really find much difference in sound, especially won't help the brightness at all.
I don't have any other proper source other than my STX..

Maybe the HD800 sounded warm when i tried it downstairs is because the DVD player has really cheap DAC chip, creating the rolled off treble and fat bass :p

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #34 of 583

Quote:
if your operational system is either Vista or Windows 7 then your music will sound bright, that's why I don't use PC as the transport any more. Windows Xp has a much more neutral sound, you should try it if you haven't already.

Thanks for the PDF lescanard 
beerchug.gif

Hmm, interesting, I've never heard this before. But I definitely won't be going back to XP though, I like Win7 much better
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #35 of 583
fat bass lol. I was thinking that it could be a driver issue, you know the brightness in Win7 and Vista. I did try Asio4all and it didn't change anything, the brightness was still there. with 4 different PCs all using the same Microsoft usb audio driver. I also tried some driver (I forgot its name) that you have to purchase, I tried the trial, and while it did sound different, not necessarily better, it was still overly bright. Media players used were Winamp and Foobar.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 583

Quote:
Proud MKIVSE owner for 2+ years....
beerchug.gif

In reference to the jumpers, a while back they were selling some extended jumpers on ebay for the MKIV that were very easy to change.  I did a quick search, however atm nothing came up.  Maybe an email to David.

Thanks HeatFan - I emailed David and basically he said tweezers were the recommended tool. The hole is so deep I'm afraid if I screw up I'll drop the jumper inside the unit. I'm going to look out for extended jumpers cause I'll be changing frequently - esp. to get my beloved Mullard EF91s on this beast.

That being said - I've been running the WE 403Bs and they sound truly glorious with my DT990s. The gorgeous tones are so fine - the mids and especially the low end are so incredibly refined - I wasn't hearing this on my M-Stage with the Beyers. I tried the K701s last night for a short while and they sounded ok but a bit thin compared to when they are paired w/ my M-Stage - but I really bought the amp for the 990s. The K701s have beautiful detail IMO - I'm not sure that they really shine with tube amps vs a nice SS choice.

What a great amp - I can't wait to spend more time with it. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #37 of 583
les you might want to try the Mullard M8100, they are great.
The K701 shine with the more powerful amps be it tube or SS.
Grado and HD650 are very good with the LD MKIVSE.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #38 of 583

Quote:
les you might want to try the Mullard M8100, they are great.
The K701 shine with the more powerful amps be it tube or SS.
Grado and HD650 are very good with the LD MKIVSE.

Thanks rosgr63 - I have a couple of pairs of the 8100s and used to run them quite a bit in my MKIII. I thought they were great with my old Grado 325s - I'll certainly try them in my MKIVs - I'm really enjoying the Beyers with my NOS WE403Bs right now.

For those who are interested in rolling tubes - it took me quite a while to figure out the numbers and equivalents of all of the various family of tubes. Another Head-Fier posted this (I think on the MKIII website) and it was incredibly helpful when I was scouring eBay for tubes - so here it is for anyone who wants it:

EF91 = 6AM6 = Z77 = 6F12 = 8D3 = N79 = CV138 = 6064 = M8083 = CV4014

EF92 = 6CQ6 = W77 = 6F21 = 9D6 = CV131 = 6065 = M8161 = CV4015

EF95 = 6AK5 = 6j1p = 6069 = 6F32V = 6F32 = 5654 = 6ZH1P = M8100= 403A [=408a {heads up, higher heater voltages}]

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #39 of 583
So I thought I would list some of my favorite tubes I've accumulated over the past couple of years in case anyone is inclined to pick some up and try them. Most of these were purchased via eBay when I owned my MKIII - I'm looking forward to trying them in my new MKIV when I get the time.

VOSHOD - Russians (6ZHIP-EV) - EF95 - can be found really cheap online - huge favorites with MKIII owners - everyone should have a set or 2.

Mullard 8083/CV4014 - EF91 - great tubes with my AKGs - both k701s and k271s - I found these to be natural and not too overly warm - stellar with acoustic music (guitars) - really detailed IMO

Mullard 8161 - EF92 - I thought these were particularly good with my old Grado 325is - they seem SMOOOOTH and helped to tame the natural brightness in these phones.

Mullard 8100/CV4010 - EF95 - rosgr63 mentioned these earlier.

Mullard EF91/6AM6 - Blue Glass - simply my favorite - currently in my LDI+ - soon to be tried in my MKIV - awesome and they look sexy! Tons of detail - really smooth in the lows - just are stellar with my k701s

GE-5-Stars (EF95) - many people rave about these tubes - you can find them pretty readily - but they can be over-priced so you have to shop around.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #40 of 583
Nice work les.
I also enjoy my SR325is a lot.
The only cans I didn't like with the LD MKIVSE are the Maestro GMP400.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #41 of 583
Acknowledging individual preferences in sound, is it possible for tube rollers here to work toward a reference for tube recommendation with the Mk IV/se using a couple of widely appreciated headphones such as HD 650, HD 600, DT-990, DT-880, AKG 701 etc or even HD 800 and T1. Of course, with an explanation for the recomendation.

eg if it is a HD 650, what would be the best combination of driver and power tubes in MK IV/se.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #42 of 583
Mullard M8100 + Stock Power Tubes + HD650 or Grado SR325is or DT880

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #43 of 583
Sep 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #45 of 583

Quote:
I have completed my balanced to unbalanced interconnect
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sups_photos/5030589945/lightbox/

sounds amazing through my LD and its still burning in!

" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="1" />

Hi . Sup

Neat work there! I am assuming you are using this to hook up a dac with a balance output to the mk IV? I have always been curious, how does it improve the sound? cheers mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back