"The Lab"
Jun 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #8,673 of 20,136

Mine had a pair of silicon type hooks chucked into the shipping package along with another pair of foam eartips.

I got them from the first "official" KZ store on AE.

I guess I will be buying from there now, I got mine off ebay and they came in the same kind of plastic case the ED9s came in.

You got silver ate, they come in ed9 type of box. Clear/gray ate comes in a heart shaped clear box and slightly different accessories :wink:

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #8,674 of 20,136
So, the guy that came over last night is a sound technician and a Hifimediy fan boy. From what I gathered he listens to the HE400 for cans, and RE400 for in ears.

He said he was impressed with the Superlux HD681 EVO, and AKG K7xx.

For in ears the first pair I had him try was the ed9 (without telling him the price). First thing he said after a short listen was "these are better than my RE400s." when I told him I paid $11 for them he couldn't believe it.

He also liked the Havi, the KC06, the T1E, and LOVED the soundmagic e80.

Since we were on the subject of A73 vs Titan on many threads here, I had him A-B them and he agreed that the A73 was the better sounding IEM. His reasons were similar to mine, bigger soundstage, more extension in bass, less fatiguing treble, better separation, and just as much if not more detail. That was all his thoughts not mine.

His favorite of all of them was the A83. He said it was just flat out the most impressive to his ears.

I'm not going to say I was disappointed in the HE300 and HE400 but to be honest I was expecting more from them. I guess the HE500 is where it's at.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #8,676 of 20,136
From what I gathered when picking his brain was he liked

A83>A73>e80>Havi>KC06>T1E

I'm not sure where he would rank the ed9, I didn't ask

you threw so many iems my way I forget exactly which ones were my favorite but I do remember the a83s and I had a smile on my face the entire time I was listening.  I would love to get my hands on a pair of those (insert dirty joke here) but with a wife and two kids the budget will never allow that.  I did like the a73s a lot.  I'd like to a/b them with my hifiman re400s.  I'll bring those over next time.
Vince, do you ever sleep?  it looks like you've been posting on here since I left your house @ 11:00 last night.  You better get some rest before those guys with the funny white jackets show up at your door.
Oh, and I agree with your assessment of the he400s, I expected a better more rounded sound out of them, I'm disappointed in the upper mids, hard to listen to for long periods of time.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #8,677 of 20,136
you threw so many iems my way I forget exactly which ones were my favorite but I do remember the a83s and I had a smile on my face the entire time I was listening.  I would love to get my hands on a pair of those (insert dirty joke here) but with a wife and two kids the budget will never allow that.  I did like the a73s a lot.  I'd like to a/b them with my hifiman re400s.  I'll bring those over next time.
Vince, do you ever sleep?  it looks like you've been posting on here since I left your house @ 11:00 last night.  You better get some rest before those guys with the funny white jackets show up at your door.
Oh, and I agree with your assessment of the he400s, I expected a better more rounded sound out of them, I'm disappointed in the upper mids, hard to listen to for long periods of time.
Hey buddy, thanks for hanging out last night!

Everyone welcome Bill to "The Lab"!

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #8,680 of 20,136
Hey @bmulkshake01, was I correct in how you would rank the mentioned IEMs?

If not please share your impressions and include the ed9 in there

Cheers

you have to remember I'm getting old and I can't remember the make / model of every pair but here's what stood out to me (if my memory is correct)
The a83s I loved, a73s I really liked a lot, I liked the Titans but they had a bump in the low mids and mid highs that would make them fatiguing for me after a short amount o time.  The other two that stood out for me were the akg open back cans, loved the sound stage and clarity in the vocals and those $10 iems sounded much better than a $10 iem should (I forget the make and model were these the ed9s?) unfortunately I didn't listen to these long enough because we started talking about them and I never went back to listening.  I listened to several iems in the $50 range and they all sounded good especially when considering the price.  We'll have to set up some kind of exchange program so I can listen to some of them longer and really give you a more educated impression.
Thanks for rekindling my love of headphones and music in general.  I was starting to get discouraged because I've had no time lately to listen to any of my gear (dang kids! :) )

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #8,683 of 20,136
bmulkshake01 welcome Bill.
Hisoundfi

Looks like you guys had a great night of fun.
Are you able to differentiate the sound signature of A83 vs A73 ?

I think I read some impressions saying that A83 was more aggressive and forward whereas A73 is more laid back.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8,684 of 20,136
@bmulkshake01 welcome Bill.
@Hisoundfi

I think I read some impressions saying that A83 was more aggressive and forward whereas A73 is more laid back.

again, I'm old and trying to go off of memory but if anything I'd say the opposite, I thought the a83s were natural and sounded great across the spectrum.  They were just easy and fun to listen to.  I could listen to them for long periods of time.  Don't get me wrong, the a73s were great too but to my ears the 83s were just that much better.  My ears probably just have expensive taste.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8,685 of 20,136
bmulkshake01 welcome Bill.
Hisoundfi

The A83 is more aggressive and forward, and the A73 is more linear from what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back