"The Lab"
Aug 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #11,716 of 20,136
@Brooko
  I had a question about the battery life in general of the Fiio DAPs, does using LO to an external amp have a beneficial effect on the DAP battery life? My cellphone battery is terrible and am thinking of picking up a DAP and I will be using it with an external amp mostly. 

I can answer that. Typically the battery will last twice as long (20 hours) when using line out to an external amp. It lasts three times as long (30 hours) when using coaxial out on the X5 and X5ii.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #11,718 of 20,136
I can answer that. Typically the battery will last twice as long (20 hours) when using line out to an external amp. It lasts three times as long (30 hours) when using coaxial out on the X5 and X5ii.

Wow, that is quite the difference between the three different outputs! Do a lot of the portable amps support coaxial input? Thanks for the info :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #11,720 of 20,136
Wow, that is quite the difference between the three different outputs! Do a lot of the portable amps support coaxial input? Thanks for the info :)

Not many. I use coaxial to my desktop DACs.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #11,721 of 20,136
OK - Fiio X5ii > fixed Line-Out > RA > Duke

First approx 3-5mm on the pot is channel imbalance which measured at up to 3 dB.

At about 7mm on the pot with the Duke, the ave volume is already around 75 dB with peaks hitting beyond 80 dB

If I go to 9 o'clock on the pot (not even quarter of the way), the ave is 90 dB with peaks around 95 dB

This is low gain

BTW - diff between low and high gain appears to be approx 3.8-4.0 dB (using the meter)

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #11,722 of 20,136

@Brooko  I had a question about the battery life in general of the Fiio DAPs, does using LO to an external amp have a beneficial effect on the DAP battery life? My cellphone battery is terrible and am thinking of picking up a DAP and I will be using it with an external amp mostly. 

Yep - takes the 10 hours out to 16-18 hours at least, maybe more.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #11,723 of 20,136
Got RA today as well.  Just did a quick test: N6 (HO) -> Dukes vs N6 (LO)-> RA (LG) -> Dukes, and difference is very subtle, hardly even noticeable.  Perhaps I need to burn in RA more, or N6 amplifier stage (similar to C5) is just that good.  Too bad RA doesn't have a bass boost, just for my personal taste Dukes surely can benefit from a warmer low end :wink:

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #11,724 of 20,136
Dude that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Welcome back btw

Feels great to be around more often. =)

[SNIP]
@Brooko  I had a question about the battery life in general of the Fiio DAPs, does using LO to an external amp have a beneficial effect on the DAP battery life? My cellphone battery is terrible and am thinking of picking up a DAP and I will be using it with an external amp mostly. 

I'm getting about double battery life out of my X3C as well when running LO into the E12. Didn't realise coax consumes even lesser power.

Hmm ifi iDSD immediately comes to mind. 
biggrin.gif
 It's a giant silver brick admittedly. A brick that sounds pretty good.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #11,725 of 20,136

I'm getting about double battery life out of my X3C as well when running HO into the E12. Didn't realise coax consumes even lesser power.

Good DAC implementations need good power, so if not using the DAC there's a big power savings. :wink_face:

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #11,726 of 20,136
I agree with you Alex.  I just compared with the Fiio E17K.  Comparable volume is ~ 20/60 (by ear - I'd put the meter away), and the Fiio (to me anyway) sounds better.  Sorry - but I'm simply not impressed by the Runabout so far.

Duke - impressive
Zen - very, very impressive
Monk - very impressive for the cost

Runabout - "meh"

I'm going to measure the Duke + RA vs Dke + E17K with Veritas when i get some free time tonight.  The more I listen, the more I suspect there might be channel imbalance at higher levels with this unit as well.  Need to measure - can't trust my ears 
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #11,728 of 20,136
I can with an SPL meter - but then I have to swap the earpieces, and there no guarantees I can repeat the results.  I have to think about how I can do it repeatedly and accurately. I was thinking about using Veritas as that would also show an imbalance, and I can tend to get more accuracy.

I'll think some more and come up with something later tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back