"The Lab"
Aug 6, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #11,056 of 20,136
holy schiit is that what the case looks like? like a pelican case almost. Mind posting a pic of the accessories it comes with? :) I haven't seen how the tip selections are

You know, it comes with a cute little case and a few pairs of tips...

Will the new Chinese in-ear take down the current budget champ?

Well, I'd have to try those KZs now, wouldn't I :wink_face:

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #11,058 of 20,136
Aug 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #11,059 of 20,136
Yes it would be a big boon. Win for the customer and win for third party manufacturers and win for FiiO.

Triple Win!
biggrin.gif

Yes most definitely! Imagine the customizability options :)  Also, I have had the Oppo PM3 on for several hours now and while the sound is slowly growing on me, despite my initial disappointment, the one thing I like is how they feel on my head. Like pillows. Most comfortable over ear I have have ever used. 

I was looking into the Mr Speakers gear but since they are being discontinued, would like to avoid that, issues of future support etc. Plus I don't necessarily want to pay that much for a t50rp mod :p (despite me lusting after the ZMF Vibro and Blackwood lol). 

Now I am gonna be looking for this comfort for my over ear purchase. That kind of rules out the EL8 close back right? Heavy as heck I would imagine. I still want to have a listen to it however. 

I can't get over how comfy the PM3 is :D

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #11,062 of 20,136
Yes most definitely! Imagine the customizability options :)  Also, I have had the Oppo PM3 on for several hours now and while the sound is slowly growing on me, despite my initial disappointment, the one thing I like is how they feel on my head. Like pillows. Most comfortable over ear I have have ever used. 

I was looking into the Mr Speakers gear but since they are being discontinued, would like to avoid that, issues of future support etc. Plus I don't necessarily want to pay that much for a t50rp mod :p (despite me lusting after the ZMF Vibro and Blackwood lol). 

Now I am gonna be looking for this comfort for my over ear purchase. That kind of rules out the EL8 close back right? Heavy as heck I would imagine. I still want to have a listen to it however. 

I can't get over how comfy the PM3 is :D

Some have reported the el-8C is more comfortable than the PM-3. I haven't tried the PM-3 but the el-8 distributes the weight quite well and you don't really notice them. Well, compared to the XC you would think everything else is light as a feather! :wink:

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #11,063 of 20,136
Just read last 4-5 pages, and thought I'd drop by with a couple of thoughts ......

• X7
    Surprised by a few of the comments.  So it looks like a smartphone ..... ?!  It has good hardware, touch screen for those who've always wanted it, bluetooth and wifi so you can stream, and the UI will be as polished as the android based apps that are included, or that you can use. The comments on Fiios past fw release schedule and past UI implementation shouldn't really apply in this case, because we're talking about android - aren't we?  Also the comments on the buttons is a bit strange.  Because of the actual shape, you should always know which is front and which is back, simply by feel.

Personally I think it is very sleek, has great hardware, and if it is implemented as well as it currently looks - then it'll be one heck of a DAP that'll take on the big-boys at around 1/3 of their price. Plus it's modular.  I mean really - what's not to like??

• Re the Oppo - admittedly I only spent a day with the one I had for a short time, and the one I auditioned had noticeable channel imbalance (had to return it and now have to wait for a tour unit to make it's rounds).  In the brief time I had it, it really did start to grow on me (enough to want to spend decent time with it).  Mid-range was it's strong point - and also the linear bass.  Also very comfortable. For the guys who don't like it:

* how long did you spend with it before making your decision?
    * did you spend solitary time (ie 1-2 days) listening to it and only it so that you could acclimatise your brain to the different sound? I personally find this is often hugely important, as there have been some gear I was very luke-warm with at first, but over time grew to really like the overall sound sig.

I sometimes think we make judgement calls on gear because of quick auditions, or constant comparisons (early) against known signatures - and never give ourselves a chance to actually get to know the signature of the new gear.  I know this might be a big call - but virtually all the reviewers whose opinions I rely on and trust take their time with gear before making calls on it. It's one of the reasons I now have pretty much stopped trying to jam out reviews in short time periods, and also why I don't review multiple new signatures (ie 2-3 pieces of new gear) at the same time. When I've broken either of these personal rules in the past, it almost always comes back to bite me.

I totally respect that we all have different tastes, and I know mine are very different to others on the forum.

Food for thought anyway.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #11,064 of 20,136
Wifi can it stream Spotify and surf the web, if it does just about everything a phone does and had a good sound to it I am in.

I just downloaded Windows 10 and hate it, it's so confusing compared to anything I have every used.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #11,066 of 20,136
Wifi can it stream Spotify and surf the web, if it does just about everything a phone does and had a good sound to it I am in.

I just downloaded Windows 10 and hate it, it's so confusing compared to anything I have every used.

Tried win 8.1 for a while. Didn't care much for it either. I'll stick with Win 7 until I get a new machine

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #11,068 of 20,136
Some have reported the el-8C is more comfortable than the PM-3. I haven't tried the PM-3 but the el-8 distributes the weight quite well and you don't really notice them. Well, compared to the XC you would think everything else is light as a feather! :wink:

PM-3 is comfy if you've got small ears. Mine are fairly small, and they felt cramped in those ear cups!

Give me bigger (easily removable) ear cups, better bass impact, and larger soundstage, please!

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #11,069 of 20,136
PM-3 is comfy if you've got small ears. Mine are fairly small, and they felt cramped in those ear cups!

Give me bigger (easily removable) ear cups, better bass impact, and larger soundstage, please!

So go try el-8!! :wink_face:

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #11,070 of 20,136

LOL - given they are closed, I'd have though bigger bass impact and larger soundstage are mutually exclusive - at least in my experience.  If you want the bigger bass impact, the last thing you'll get is increased sound stage.  They can't do both with a closed headphone ...... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back