"The Lab"
May 26, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #7,174 of 20,136

MSR7 goes nice with the X3ii in Dignis, too.

Yes it does
bigsmile_face.gif

May 26, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #7,175 of 20,136
  Hi guys

I want to give this a plug (kudos to @hakushondaimao for getting me involved with this)

This thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/764953/worlds-first-portable-hybrid-valve-headphone-amplifier-with-a-footprint-smaller-than-most-cellphones
This KS project - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/970055861/hybrid-valve-headphone-amplifier

Approx US135.00 (+ freight) gets you one of these

327f04d441a8f58b75d171f56ba991b0_original.JPG

Here's what I do know so far.

Battery life is min 10 hours - and could be as high as 12-14
One of the best builds I've seen (machined aluminium)
Average output (measured ) at the headphone out of 0.265 ohms
Frequency test was run using using a signal generator and measuring the peak to peak output voltage over many different frequencies. The output was dead flat from 60 Hz to 17 kHz not even a millivolt of change. There is a slow fall off under about 50 HZ and also over 17600 Hz.
He also ran run a series of sine waves through the amp and took measurements with an oscilloscope to see how they looked. Clean waveforms all the way from 10Hz up to over 20kHz with no sign at all of any clipping or distortion - just text book looking sine waves.
Pocketable - generates virtually no heat

Unfortunately I only got to play with the initial prototype for a day (see pics below).  He's adding a volume pot, and variable gain switching - and then I should get an updated model to review. Over the next day or so I should receive max output measurements under load.

KS has less than 12 days to run.  He's currently 63% funded. If you know of anyone interested - can you please pass the word.

Hey Paul, did you ever get this in to review? Just asking as I've gotten a Kickstarter that Martin was adding a volume pot and now a $65K stretch goal to add a couple digikey switches for hi/lo gain and bass boost. Did not know if you were going to review the initial model or the updated one. THX 

May 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #7,176 of 20,136
  Hey Paul, did you ever get this in to review? Just asking as I've gotten a Kickstarter that Martin was adding a volume pot and now a $65K stretch goal to add a couple digikey switches for hi/lo gain and bass boost. Did not know if you were going to review the initial model or the updated one. THX 

@Podster: I believe Paul will have an updated copy tomorrow/today (international date line is such a pain), and will post initial impressions a little before the campaign ends. Check this thread for details; there's been quite a bit of Q&A there.

May 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #7,177 of 20,136
Yes, I forgot about the amp thread itself and just let him know in that thread that I posted here! What a newbie I am sometime!

May 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #7,179 of 20,136
If i did have a dingas it wouldn't get used alot lol.

You mean if you would have X3ii wearing Dignis case you would still reach out for your AK100ii
tongue.gif

Btw, you gonna love KZ stuff.  IMHO, ATE steps all over IM50.  Yeah, that good!

May 26, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #7,180 of 20,136
You mean if you would have X3ii wearing Dignis case you would still reach out for your AK100ii :p

I have been thinking aboutthe ED9 tuning filters, I have a pair of each Knowles acoustic filtere ranging from 330-4.7K ohms. I am going to try to diy some of my own filters for optional tuning. If anyone wants to try this the filters are really cheap from Mouser Elecrronics, there under $2 and there the same ones used in CIEM's

May 26, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7,181 of 20,136

You mean if you would have X3ii wearing Dignis case you would still reach out for your AK100ii
tongue.gif

What's the official place to get the ATE now? My link for the official KZ stores seems to show nothing now. Seems too that other sellers are jacking up their prices.

May 26, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #7,183 of 20,136

tongue.gif

What's the official place to get the ATE now? My link for the official KZ stores seems to show nothing now. Seems too that other sellers are jacking up their prices.

My review sample came from Zhengnan store on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y0F6IBG/  his price is $18 plus $3 shipping which is obviously higher than anybody else because of the sale fees he has to pay to amazon.  He has ED9 on amazon for the same price as well.

May 26, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #7,184 of 20,136

Got mine from this guy when they were still $10:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-ATE-Copper-Driver-Ear-Hook-HiFi-In-Ear-Earphone-Sport-Headphones-For-Running-With-Foam/32337313320.html

May 26, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #7,185 of 20,136

tongue.gif

I have been thinking aboutthe ED9 tuning filters, I have a pair of each Knowles acoustic filtere ranging from 330-4.7K ohms. I am going to try to diy some of my own filters for optional tuning. If anyone wants to try this the filters are really cheap from Mouser Elecrronics, there under $2 and there the same ones used in CIEM's

Do you mean like a little dampers (filters) you put on the nozzle of BA drivers?  That's the only thing I found on Mouser searching for it.  Would be interesting if it has some kind of an effect, cool science project!!!  ED9 has a filter in a form of a nozzle you unscrew (like K3003 or SE846) with a specific geometry that shapes a sound.  Both included with ED9 are significantly different in how they look and how they affect a sound.  Wonder if you can somehow stick that Knowles damper inside to see how it will affect a sound remotely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back