"The Lab"
Nov 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #19,021 of 20,136
There you go, straight from the dungeon. No need for all these fancy new products and flashy pictures.

Who needs em...

I could like with that and be entirely happy. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #19,022 of 20,136
  We haven't done this in a while. @r2muchstuff inspired this with his awesome recent pics.

Share a pic of what gear you're listening to today. This often times strikes up fun conversation about gear. 

If you show me yours, I'll show you mine...

giphy.gif

Sorry bro but when I see a dudes photo - I just want to do this! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #19,025 of 20,136

Nearing the close of my part, Tour Group #4; i5, A3 and the Nova. A wonderful combination.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #19,027 of 20,136
My morning rig:

Toshiba Chromebook streaming Google Music

Generic shortened Micro USB cable

Fiio E17K used as a DAC (16/48k)

VE interconnect

Modified VE Runabout amplifier, boosted with 16V wall wart (Powerful AF)

Another VE interconnect

LineP signal splitter (works great when reviewing)

ZMF Eikon

The Eikon is a dark spin on neutral. Vocals forward and with that added flavor of ZMF color.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #19,028 of 20,136
I read the ZMF review, did you keep the ZOTL? (that's my main headphone amp, and I'm expecting the new ZMF cans for review at some point). Just curious...

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #19,029 of 20,136
@ngoshawk

If you were to compare the Nova to another one or two of your IEMs what would you say they are similar to?

Also, what is your final verdict of the i5? I know you will be reviewing it, just curious if you feel it's worthy of the asking price.

The Novas are my TOTL IEM's at the moment, so any comparison would be downhill so to speak. That said, I have settled on three phones as my final reviewing unit (until later this week when I try the P1's again). The Novas, of course, which pair really well to me since the i5 shares a "warmer" sound. I agree with PinkyPowers that the unit is slightly warm sounding. I have come to appreciate a warmer, dark sound as my preference. Kind of a "Stout-type" sound.

Second, my $21 Tennmak Pros sound incredibly good with any combination I have thrown at them during this test. More bass (but not necessarily better) than the Novas, I just really like the sound. Surprising that a relatively cheap IEM can sound that close to my favorites. They have an overall pleasing sound which fits my listening habits.

Last, my unmodded T40RP mk3's. Running these amped/unamped it does not matter. Of course an amp allows me to drop the unit volume quite a bit. Running straight from the i5, I need the volume pot at about 55-65 for a decent volume. With my Fiio, I run that volume at 4/9. The Fiio must be run as lineout, which doesn't make me the happiest. I lose all control from the i5. Coincidentally, my little e06 can be run from the headphone port, so I'm not sure what is going on. And the Schiit Magni2 is also run through the headphone port. Not sure why the discrepancy....But the Fostex's just sound really nice. At first listen through just the i5/T40RP combo, I was very surprised with the overall tonality. It still had that planar-sound of being slightly recessed (slightly background to me) but I initially liked it better than my Novas. I don't want to give all away, though! Just a nice combo.

As for recommending the Cayin, I will unabashedly state, YES!, I recommend the i5. There are some caveats which I will discuss in my review; but as a dedicated DAP, this is a stunning unit. Just a beautiful unit with which to look and use.

Not sure I answered your Q's very well, but I hope I did.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #19,030 of 20,136
I read the ZMF review, did you keep the ZOTL? (that's my main headphone amp, and I'm expecting the new ZMF cans for review at some point). Just curious...

I still have it in my lab, but it's a loaner. I'm going to be shipping everything back (including the cans) upon the conclusion of the Eikon review. 

Is it just me, or does the ZOTL seem to have characteristics more along the lines of a linear solid state amplifier? I'm sure a tube change from stock would alter things, but as it sits on my desk, the ZOTL is sounding really lean for a tube amp.

As much as I loved the Atticus with the ZOTL, I love other amps with the Eikon. The Eikon sounds really good with the ZOTL don't get me wrong, I just seem to enjoy them more with a source that puts a little more color and girth in the lower registers of the Eikon. Maybe it's an impedance thing? 

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #19,031 of 20,136

I still have it in my lab, but it's a loaner. I'm going to be shipping everything back (including the cans) upon the conclusion of the Eikon review. 

Is it just me, or does the ZOTL seem to have characteristics more along the lines of a linear solid state amplifier? I'm sure a tube change from stock would alter things, but as it sits on my desk, the ZOTL is sounding really lean for a tube amp.

As much as I loved the Atticus with the ZOTL, I love other amps with the Eikon. The Eikon sounds really good with the ZOTL don't get me wrong, I just seem to enjoy them more with a source that puts a little more color and girth in the lower registers of the Eikon. Maybe it's an impedance thing? 

You are on to something with the sound of the ZOTL, it isn't your dad's tube amp, it is very neutral (I think of it as solid state sound without the solid state haze/glare). It does change some with tube rolling, can get more of the mids in, more smooth, liquid sound (But not to the extent of standard tube amps), the power supply also makes a difference (don't know if you got the one with the switching supply, or the upgraded LPS-better LPS units improve the sound even more). There is lots of discussion on the ZOTL thread about tube rolling and other mods. Haven't heard either the Eikon or the Atticus, but from the description, sounds like I'll like both, but lean more in the direction of the EIkon. But I use the HE-1000 v1 out of my ZOTL most of the time. I don't think anyone would call it euphonic or rich, but I love how it sounds out of the ZOTL. Don't have other tube units in the house, do have the Liquid Carbon, which is solid state that SOUNDS like tubes (the anti-ZOTL, if you will). It's a nice little transportable amp, but don't like it as much as the ZOTL (at half the price, though, it is a good value product).

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #19,034 of 20,136

I got a thing in the mail today. Pretty stoked to get listening!

Well all I can say is they are the ShizNit (barring you have no QC issues) but sound wise I an stoked on them myself and the dampened gold seems to be my personal fave so far on the filters
wink_face.gif

So now everybody knows the Pod is a direct descendant of the Woolly Mammoth
blink.gif
LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back