"The Lab"
Aug 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #18,167 of 20,136
Don't know who Shanling has doing their design work, but they deserve a raise. If they can keep the UI experience on par with their other players this should be the portable to beat. Looks like it could waay better than the M1 or X1 (sorry Fiio)

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #18,168 of 20,136
Don't know who Shanling has doing their design work, but they deserve a raise. If they can keep the UI experience on par with their other players this should be the portable to beat. Looks like it could waay better than the M1 or X1 (sorry Fiio)

+1!

On another note: I don't know how much portability you're willing to sacrifice but I got the iBasso D14 today and so far I'm very impressed.

Might be worth considering.....

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #18,170 of 20,136
peter123: Agree that iBasso D14 is quite good - especially for using Sabre DAC. Avoids Sabre glare which can creep in with DX90.

Although I've never heard any DAP using the Sabre chips I've probably heard close to ten amp/dac combos using it and I've honestly never heard any glare with either of them.

Many amp/dac using the same dac chip does not sound particularly similar to my ears. There's a lot more going on than just the chip used imo (general implementation, op amps used and not the least amplifier section used). Heck, even the HUD-DX1 and the Burson Air that uses the same dac chip and amplifier section doesn't sound more similar than any of them compared to the DACport Slim (AK4490 chip) to my ears.

I've also heard the Sabre 9018 described as bright and with strident highs many times but I've never been able to detect this myself either, probably my old ears :wink: The D14 is probably the brightest implementation I've heard with the 9018 so far and it's more neutral than bright to me.

I'm sorry about the rant, I'd guess that what I'm really trying to say is that I feel that implementation is much more important than what dac chip one uses.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #18,172 of 20,136
Rant all you want, Peter. What would headfi be without ranting?

FWIW, Shanling H3 also uses ES9018, and it has no glare :wink:

Ha ha, you're right. Thanks buddy :)

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #18,174 of 20,136

quite a nice video by @MezeTeam on the Meze 11
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #18,175 of 20,136
Hi Labsters!

It's been a long time since my last activity :frowning2:(

I am back with a review!

First review for Dawnwood in head-fi:
Dawnwood GT-36 Review

I love you all! 

Hope everything is fine in Labsterland!

Cheers,

Your photographer guy: Baycode!

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #18,177 of 20,136
  @Baycode Nice to see you back in the action buddy! Great review too 
beerchug.gif

Thanks bud
beerchug.gif

Good to see you
bigsmile_face.gif

I need to get rid off my dust...
rolleyes.gif

(A small confession: After having (and modding) the AKG K240 Sextett headphones I have nearly lost my all interest in new discoveries)

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #18,178 of 20,136

Thanks bud
beerchug.gif

Good to see you
bigsmile_face.gif

I need to get rid off my dust...
rolleyes.gif

(A small confession: After having (and modding) the AKG K240 Sextett headphones I have nearly lost my all interest in new discoveries)

Great to have you back my firend and an excellent review as ususal 
gs1000.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #18,180 of 20,136
  Speaking of reviews:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/pmv-a-01-mk2/reviews/16594

You are on fire, Peter!  And you guys used to make fun of me writing a new review every other day
tongue.gif
  Excellent job with every review!

@Baycode : welcome back, buddy!  Excellent review as well!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back