The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #436 of 456
I have enjoyed what I have been reading on this thread and am interested in buying a set for myself. However, I am split between using my money on the 8400's or a pair of Sennheiser HD600's. I can currently buy the 8400's at a ridiculously good price ($80), which I know is a steal. From the perspective of those that have previously listened to the HD600's, how do the 8400's compare? 

Unfortunately the HD600's and the 8400's aren't even close to the same level of sound quality. The price difference is pretty huge.

I love my 8400's, but they don't compare to the HD600's.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #437 of 456
Just dropping by. I have had the KNS 8400 for quite some time now. Over the years, I have actually started to enjoy it a lot. They still get playing time and this is after D2000, HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3. It takes some time to get used to their sound. No clue how they compare to HD 600 though. Although I'll probably take the HD600 with all the praise they have gotten over the years.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #438 of 456
Quote:
Unfortunately the HD600's and the 8400's aren't even close to the same level of sound quality. The price difference is pretty huge.

I love my 8400's, but they don't compare to the HD600's.

Thanks for the insight, delta! I definitely need it, considering I passed up my last opportunity to audition the HD600's. I guess I will just need to hold out on my next purchase and eventually take the dive for the HD600's. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #439 of 456
I did a lot a research and deliberation (but not much listening testing) before finally deciding on the KNS8400 as my choice of closed back can for music production and portable duties.

They do have some great qualities, such as detail and clean sound, but there is a certain unnaturalness to the treble that I just can't seem to see past. They do work for me s closed portables, but unfortunately (and ironically, considering their heritage) they are just not cutting it for me for serious musical duties and I may well be seeking to sell mine to try something else. Other cans on my original shortlist were Beyerdynamic DT250s, Soundmagic HP100 and German Maestro GMP 8.35.

Positives about this can include great upper treble response, neutral bass response, detachable cable, build quality and supreme comfort. I finally tracked down a shorter cable which was perfect for portability.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #440 of 456
I think every closed can has it's flaws. In the 8400 price range the agh-m50's have hyped bass which sound great for general music listening but not so great for critical listening, the srh804's have a comparable sound signature tho not had enough time with them to give a proper opinion but their fragility scares me. 

I chose the KRK's due to being well built, they sound natural they fold flat (fit into a laptop ruck sack for location recording) and they have a detachable cable and replaceable parts. Also KRK does an extra nice short cable for them, tho hard to get in the UK which means i can also use them as my general on the go cans. To me they are a great all rounder with many advantages.

Closed cans and open cans are in a different ball park, the HD 600's will generally outshine the 8400's with a good amp. The purpose of the HD600's and the 8400's are very different tho with the HD 600's being for home/studio use only and in the studio only for reference checking or to substitute speakers where room acoustics are not very good.

Correct me if i am wrong but their are at least 2 variants of the 8400. One comes in a white plastic tray in the box and one comes in the clear plastic tray in the box. The sound is apparently different with the newer ones (clear plastic tray) having an improved sound signature.

If you like their speakers you will like their cans but for pure musical pleasure with no need to worry about sound leakage the HD 600 would be my recommendations. I own both the 8400's and the HD 650's but i use both for different purposes.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #441 of 456
Hi! Maybe you can help me. I have owned the 8400 for almost two years now, and I really like them for most recordings. However, as has been noted, they can be very analytical and unforgiving on bad recordings, to the point of making me feel physically ill. I'm looking for new headphones in the $150-$200 price range to be a good addition to the 8400 and "sonically complement" them, as it were. They should be more forgiving and suitable for rock and metal music. Ideally, they would also be open and scale well with amping (I have a FiiO E17 and might buy an E09K), but those aren't requirements.
Headphones I have been considering are Sennheiser HD25-1 II (maybe sounds too similar to 8400, not open), Grado SR225i (maybe too fatiguing and unforgiving, too expensive in the EU) and Sennheiser HD600 (I could've got them in a sale, still a bit too expensive and maybe not so suitable for metal). I'm hoping you can give me some recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #442 of 456
  Hi! Maybe you can help me. I have owned the 8400 for almost two years now, and I really like them for most recordings. However, as has been noted, they can be very analytical and unforgiving on bad recordings, to the point of making me feel physically ill. I'm looking for new headphones in the $150-$200 price range to be a good addition to the 8400 and "sonically complement" them, as it were. They should be more forgiving and suitable for rock and metal music. Ideally, they would also be open and scale well with amping, but those aren't requirements.
Headphones I have been considering are Sennheiser HD25-1 II (maybe sounds too similar to 8400, not open), Grado SR225i (maybe too fatiguing and unforgiving, too expensive in the EU) and Sennheiser HD600 (I could've got them in a sale, still a bit too expensive and maybe not so suitable for metal). I'm hoping you can give me some recommendations. Thanks in advance!

I've had the KNS 8400 for around 2 years now as well. I know what you are saying. Go for something more fuller sounding. A bit more looser/wet in it's bass and decay response. I like the sound of rock on my HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3. I've heard that HE-400 is quite similar. Maybe HE-400 used could fit the bill.

BTW what are you currently amping the 8400's with?

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #443 of 456
Thanks for the quick response! I had not considered a HiFiMan yet, I will certainly look into it. I'm afraid I won't find them for anywhere near my price range though. You don't suppose the HE-300 would be a good match for me?
LCD-3, hehe awesome, that would certainly be what I would go for if I had a lot more money (necessarily living entirely off my student grant).

I currently have a FiiO E17 that I'm very satisfied with. I'd like to buy an E09K to use with it some time in the near future, but I don't think I would profit much from it with my 8400.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #444 of 456
  Thanks for the quick response! I had not considered a HiFiMan yet, I will certainly look into it. I'm afraid I won't find them for anywhere near my price range though. You don't suppose the HE-300 would be a good match for me?
LCD-3, hehe awesome, that would certainly be what I would go for if I had a lot more money (necessarily living entirely off my student grant).

I currently have a FiiO E17 that I'm very satisfied with. I'd like to buy an E09K to use with it some time in the near future, but I don't think I would profit much from it with my 8400.

Don't know about the HE-300. You'll have to dig around for that. I suggest saving up for a HE-400. It will work nicely with the Fiio E17 as well when you get them. Even if you wait a month or two, I think it's worth it. I also had to play the waiting game when I got my first planar, but it's deff worth it.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #445 of 456
anyone know how these compare to other studio phones in the price range? 
say the Fischer FA-003 or the AKG K240s? or any others you can recommend?
looking for something flat, neutral, honest... good for editing and mixing

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #446 of 456
The KRKs are great for your purposes and very detailed. There's a emphasis on mids and highs and they're a bit bright but not harsh to my ears.

The FA-003s are also pretty detailed to my ears and are more neutral and on the warmer side of things. Like a closed HD600. If you become interested in them, I have a NVX Audio XPT100 (FA-003, HM5 clone) that I'm selling for cheap. Just check in my profile or pm me.

Anyway either of those headphones should suit your purposes just fine.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #450 of 456
can anyone help me get the ear cushions/pads/cups off? I'm having the hardest time & I feel like I'm going to break them.  (kns 8400)

this is the best help I could find. It's krk's manual, but it's really terrible. 

Page 15:
http://www.krksys.com/manuals/headphones/kns_manual_eng.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back