The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Jun 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #421 of 456
Quote:
Interesting frequency response comparison.

Sounds nothing like that graph in the bass frequencies. If so i'd hate it. This totally give the wrong impression of this headphone. The KRK KNS-8400 probably does have more low-bass than the SRH-840 but less mid-bass. SRH-840 is also a lot warmer.
Some even call the KRKs bass light. I'm actually impressed with the low bass of the KRKs. KNS-8400 does seem to have more bass overall than the 6400. There's low bass on the KRKs that my Q701 and HD-650 can barely pick up.

Based on that graph you'd think it would have bass like a DT-770 Pro 80 or something.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #422 of 456
I laugh every time I see the Headroom's FR graph of KNS 8400. Definitely off by quite a margin. If it's using the 1 KHz as a reference for 0 dB, there is no way in hell the bass is 10 dB stronger. These can go low, but lack the impact. Good control I might add. Not enough mid bass or sub bass for my tastes though. Only keep them for watching shows. Good midrange and well portrayal of timbre - winning point in my book of this headphone.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #423 of 456
The headroom graph shows exactly what I heard when I auditioned krk8400.It's an example why I trust now headroom graphs more than I used to.

A heavily coloured/fat headphone at lower frequensies,which sounded unnatural because of that.I guess the isolation of it's earpads plays it's role.The timpre was very odd due to this emphasis at the lower spectrum.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #424 of 456
I have yet to hear the M50's or the Shure 840's but the KRK's don't seem to add much in the lower frequencies compared to the HD 650's. (Using Skrillex Breakin' a sweat as a test track) the bass tone in the background of the song through both cans seems similar to my ears in terms of volume.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #425 of 456
I just got these headphones and I agree, the headroom graph doesn't seem to really represent the bass of these headphones. The bass is pretty flat. It's not weak nor is it emphasized like the graph shows. I love 'em!

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #426 of 456
My 8400 arrived on Friday.
Out of the box, I really didn't like what I was hearing. Lifeless, dry, thin. Horrible. I did expect something like that, but not that bad. Plus, they had a channel imbalance which drived me crazy. Furthermore, I found the headband pads pretty weird. Oh... and for some reason they are way harder to drive that I thought (I would say similar to my K 240 Studio). Well... the whole package was pretty annoying and I was like "What the...? Should I send them back?").

Nope, I sent them straight to the break-in doctor, and after the first 25 hours (5x5 hours), the improvement was huge, and the imbalance had gone! (btw, it wasn't the first time a short break-in solved a channel imbalance, and imo this proves that break-in is effective since an imbalance is something objective).
Anyway, those HPs are unique. The CIA should use those to monitor secret conversations. As many others have already said, the separation and the details level are... wow! So revealing, real high resolution.
But I've never experienced such accuracy, separation and clarity in the BASS departement. Good bass is often described as punchy, clean, etc. vs boomy. But here, we are beyond the «punchy vs boomy» thing. The 8400's bass is neither of them, and its no fun, its dead serious. In fact, the low bass is almost silent. You will hear it with your stomach rather than with your ears. Its a vibration.
The mid and upper bass are insane too. Really organic, articulated, everything is at the right place, no intermodulation distortion, every single frequency is served on its own silver plate, but with no onions, tomatoes, lettuce or sauce.
Really uncommon and impressive. No doubt that with the soundstage of my Q701, those KNS would be HPs of the highest calibre.
"Honeymoon" or "childish initial enthusiasm"? Probably. It wouldn't be the first time. Time will tell.
But for now, back to the break-in station.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #427 of 456
I've owned them twice, and I intend to purchase them again for my upcoming job, which requires the use of good quality, highly detailed headphones.  IMO, they're not the best for straight music listening (I prefer my HP100s), which is why I've sold them in the past, but as far as critical listening/analysis goes, I think they're tops.  I also like how they're quite comfortable and most of the parts are user replaceable.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #428 of 456
I thought I had an imbalanced driver as well. I thought about swapping and spinning around the earpads and... WALAH!! Perfect stereo balance! For the first time I'm hearing soundstage I've never heard before!! Damn these are good 'phones!!!

Quote:
I've owned them twice, and I intend to purchase them again for my upcoming job, which requires the use of good quality, highly detailed headphones.  IMO, they're not the best for straight music listening (I prefer my HP100s), which is why I've sold them in the past, but as far as critical listening/analyzation goes, I think they're tops.  I also like how they're quite comfortable and most of the parts are user replaceable.

Just keep them this time, dammit!

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #429 of 456
The KRK KNS8400's are what I use for FOH monitoring. May not be the most accurate or flat pair, but I can push them all day long without worrying about the drivers too much. They isolate well, especially compared to my 7506's. I've treated them pretty badly since day one, (mostly because they live in my workbox) but they have been through their fair share of shows and keep coming back! These are without a doubt my go-to cans for closed-back FOH monitoring headphones. 

I'll get a picture tomorrow with my KRK's and my console. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #430 of 456
I'm still enjoying my 8400's for late night mixing when i want to use a closed back headphone. Interested to see how they translate on my monitors when i'm finished.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #431 of 456
If anyone in the UK is looking, 've been using the 1.5m straight cable with mine for a while now and it certainly makes the 8400's more portable, so i'm using them as my portables at the moment. Anyone got any portable amp recommendations for them? I'm currently running mine out of an iPhone 4.

In the UK you can get them from cimplespares, tho the website is currently down for a stock take. Due to them having to be imported their a little bit more expensive than the Shure straight cable which is also a 2.5m cable which isn't really portable.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #432 of 456
Quote:
If anyone in the UK is looking, 've been using the 1.5m straight cable with mine for a while now and it certainly makes the 8400's more portable, so i'm using them as my portables at the moment. Anyone got any portable amp recommendations for them? I'm currently running mine out of an iPhone 4.

In the UK you can get them from cimplespares, tho the website is currently down for a stock take. Due to them having to be imported their a little bit more expensive than the Shure straight cable which is also a 2.5m cable which isn't really portable.

You might want to look into the fiio e11

EDIT: Formatting went terrible on IPad

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #433 of 456
I have been looking at the fiio range, am i right in saying their is no way of bypassing the internal DAC of the iPhone 4? in that case i would just need an amp? was thinking along the lines of a DIY cMoy amp.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #434 of 456
I have been looking at the fiio range, am i right in saying their is no way of bypassing the internal DAC of the iPhone 4? in that case i would just need an amp? was thinking along the lines of a DIY cMoy amp.

Well.. You can bypass the internal DAC by going external with something like a Fostex hp-p1, but it gets pretty expensive. Apple regulates the digital output on all their portable devices in order to license third party DAC's. that's one of the reasons they cost as much as they do.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #435 of 456
I have enjoyed what I have been reading on this thread and am interested in buying a set for myself. However, I am split between using my money on the 8400's or a pair of Sennheiser HD600's. I can currently buy the 8400's at a ridiculously good price ($80), which I know is a steal. From the perspective of those that have previously listened to the HD600's, how do the 8400's compare? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back