The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Sep 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #376 of 456
Quote:

I haven't listened to the K240 Studio in maybe a year or more for more than 10 minutes. I always loved them and they have very good mids. They were a bit bassy out of the box, but not so much now. They still do have a mid-bass hump which is nice sometimes.
They still get my vote as one of the best headphones under $100. They're close to being dark I think.

The KRK 8400 is very good, but some think they're too thin or analytical. What kept me from using them more than 50% of the time is just that. My DJ100 and Q701 are much fuller sounding. Mine was quite close to being bass light without a tad bit too much treble.
The mids on my 8400 were a bit laid back somewhat in comparison to the 6400.

BTW I just used a test tone generator on my 8400 and I swear I felt 3hz. Impossible right? My DJ100 was even better yet the specifications show them to be 10-25,000
On my Q701 my drivers were sounding like they were moving or something, but the bass didn't seem to kick in until 10hz.

3 Hz 
confused.gif
 --- definitely impossible. I know the drivers are much smaller so I'm taking that into account as well as the decreased efficiency of the driver with decreasing frequency - definitely impossible. Also a 7 Hz can kill you by ******* with your organs.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #377 of 456
Quote:

3 Hz 
confused.gif
 --- definitely impossible. I know the drivers are much smaller so I'm taking that into account as well as the decreased efficiency of the driver with decreasing frequency - definitely impossible. Also a 7 Hz can kill you by ******* with your organs.

Well you can buy the KRK KNS-8400 and try it if you don't believe me
biggrin.gif

I actually would have thought my amp/dac would have rolled off somewhere under 10hz or so.

They say you can't hear, but only feel super low bass, but I swear I heard it. 12hz gave my ears a nice massage. Maybe it's a crappy program. I used SineGen.

The specs are 5hz to 23khz, so it's accurate. my DJ100 is only listed as 10hz, but goes as low as the KRK, but is even more present.

On my Q701 below 10hz all I heard is this weird clicking noise from my driver! Couldn't feel a thing.

unrelated note:

I started listening to my 8400 today and it's definitely not forgiving of harsh/garbage tracks. All those weird peaks in the recordings aren't tamed or made easier on the ears. Still listenable as long as the volume isn't too high. It doesn't have Grado SR-325is like treble, but right now it's comparable to the Q701. The 8400 definitely needs very high quality tracks. My HD-600 is much much more forgiving. Even my Q701 is I think. Maybe a little more.

BTW some tracks sound as if they're very dark and warm sounding. For example, Pearl Jam's "Inside Job". The treble is perfectly smooth. Then we switch songs and if it's bad it can sound thin and harsh! Good way to fool your ears..garbage in and garbage out I guess.

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #378 of 456
I have the KRK KNS 8400 and that's why it doesn't really make sense...they go down to 20 Hz but not that low.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #379 of 456
Quote:
I have the KRK KNS 8400 and that's why it doesn't really make sense...they go down to 20 Hz but not that low.

Well, this pair has better low bass than even my HD-600 and Q701. You do know KRK lists them as 5hz to 25khz (or so) right? They aren't lying..Sure they're no bass monsters, but the extension is very good. Maybe some pairs vary.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I did have to turn them up a bit louder than normal though.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #380 of 456
Quote:

Well, this pair has better low bass than even my HD-600 and Q701. You do know KRK lists them as 5hz to 25khz (or so) right? They aren't lying..Sure they're no bass monsters, but the extension is very good. Maybe some pairs vary.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I did have to turn them up a bit louder than normal though.

I agree with that completely. They have one of the deepest extensions I've heard so far. But 10 Hz...hmm I should try connecting them to an oscillope one day, one of the vintage ones that were dead on.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #381 of 456
Maybe I don't deserve to-, or an unable to- "have it all" at the volume I enjoy.  Everyone's ears are different.

After ~100 hours of burn time (playing through iPod Touch, HRT iStreamer, iBasso Warbler P4), to my ears, I am unable to enjoy the after-effects (sorta like "after-taste for the ears) of the 8400's treble detail.  My ears feel a sharp pain, well, mostly my left ear.  I really want to enjoy percussion, snare drums, cymbals (for example, the tune "I love music.")

Maybe I just need to use these at a moderate volume, will give it a go.

Perhaps I need to research the earpad modification threads? Doc_holiday, are you out there with a good one?

Mo.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #382 of 456
Quote:
Maybe I don't deserve to-, or an unable to- "have it all" at the volume I enjoy.  Everyone's ears are different.

After ~100 hours of burn time (playing through iPod Touch, HRT iStreamer, iBasso Warbler P4), to my ears, I am unable to enjoy the after-effects (sorta like "after-taste for the ears) of the 8400's treble detail.  My ears feel a sharp pain, well, mostly my left ear.  I really want to enjoy percussion, snare drums, cymbals (for example, the tune "I love music.")

Maybe I just need to use these at a moderate volume, will give it a go.

Perhaps I need to research the earpad modification threads? Doc_holiday, are you out there with a good one?

Mo.

If you ever find yourself not using these and want to experiment...try this:

Remove the thick felt from behind the driver and replace it with a single square of Bounty brand paper towel.
Removing the felt leaves behind some adhesive on the back of the driver so that you can easily keep the paper towel in place.

This seems to make the treble much easier on the ears. It's reversible, but you just have to be careful not to pull out the wires.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #383 of 456
Quote:

If you ever find yourself not using these and want to experiment...try this:

Remove the thick felt from behind the driver and replace it with a single square of Bounty brand paper towel.
Removing the felt leaves behind some adhesive on the back of the driver so that you can easily keep the paper towel in place.

This seems to make the treble much easier on the ears. It's reversible, but you just have to be careful not to pull out the wires.

tduckweiler,
Thank you for the advice.  I am going to use them for a couple of weeks more, see how it goes... before I do a little surgery.
-Mo.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #384 of 456
I've just received my new KNS8400 today.

Guys, will some burn in help with these? Do they get better?

They do sound promising, but some things sound really strange.
Nice and crisp highs, I like the mids, bass is just enough (I'll have to check bass with monitor speakers anyways). But they somehow still lack detail and they really sound strange at some frequencies.
For instance the snare drum in a rock track, a beautiful, nice, natural snare sound (when listened to through my K240DFs) just sounds like the snare/clap from a cheap drum machine... 

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #385 of 456
Quote:
I've just received my new KNS8400 today.

They do sound promising, but some things sound really strange.
Nice and crisp highs, I like the mids, bass is just enough (I'll have to check bass with monitor speakers anyways). But they somehow still lack detail and they really sound strange at some frequencies.
For instance the snare drum in a rock track, a beautiful, nice, natural snare sound (when listened to through my K240DFs) just sounds like the snare/clap from a cheap drum machine... 

I don't think burn in will help. You will either get used to them, but if you have a clear reference for a certain performance, ie. that snare sound through K240DF, they might start to annoy even more. Both instances happen to me occasionally. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #386 of 456

I'm not generally a big believer in burn-in, but I did find that the KRK's got better after the first few hours. Let them play for 24 hours; if you don't like them after that, they're probably just not the headphone for you.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #387 of 456
Yea the KRK sounded weird out of the box, it definitely becomes more coherent after burn-in. 24 hours should be enough.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #389 of 456
these cans still sound strange ... but I like strange 
rolleyes.gif

I was looking for some new HPs just to get some new perspective when mixing... well I've got just what I was asking for.

They are definitely worth learning - and after all studio/mixing headphones are all about learning their sound.

And there is another great thing I've discovered with these:

I've got a Focusrite audio interface with VRM (a virtual room acoustic and studio monitor "modelling") running on it ... it is the same as the VRM Box but in this case the software runs on the DSP chip of the interface. 
I've always thought that VRM is just an unusable feature - mostly for the marketing purposes of the company. I have tried them before with other headphones and they really do give some sort of a roomy feel to the sound but at the cost of loosing detail and frequencies.

And it struck me that with this amazing little HP the whole VRM thing just makes sense. Though I still have to test how well they'll translate. 

I'm quite sure I will grow on these with some time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back