The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Aug 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #346 of 456
FlySleep you're very good with words. I'm wondering how you would compare/contrast your 8400 with the FA-011 as I understand you did enjoy the latter as well, but they are certainly different phones. I own both and am curious to see how you'd describe them.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #347 of 456
Thanks for the compliment, bud..

I'll do my best to offer some comparisons the the FA-011.  The FA-011 is definitely the more colored phone.. not particularly suited well for monitoring purposes.  Going off of memory, I sense the FA-011 has a (comparatively) drier midrange tone & texture than the 8400.  Fischer Audio's upper-end phones have always had a uniquely satisfying, balanced midrange presentation when it comes to texture and tone, but their house sound errs on the drier side of things.

Both phones possess excellent soundstage depth.  The 011 probably has slightly thinner note weight.  The 8400's midrange is more neutral/forward sounding in comparison to the 011's midrange.  The 011's midrange isn't recessed.. but it's a bit more laid back.. the 011's slightly enhanced bass & treble make that more apparent as well.

Treble between the two phones will be interesting to compare.  The 011 has terrific shimmer, sparkle, and air while maintaining smoothness.. but I remember the 8400's treble being more articulate, multi-dimensional, and detailed.  I'll confirm (or correct) these thoughts once the 8400 arrives.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #349 of 456
Quote:
FlySleep you're very good with words. I'm wondering how you would compare/contrast your 8400 with the FA-011 as I understand you did enjoy the latter as well, but they are certainly different phones. I own both and am curious to see how you'd describe them.

Agreed. :)

After reading through this thread,
I must admit I just purchased the 8400's
for the 2nd time.

I'm very curious to know if the bass has been tweaked
since my first pair about a year ago.

Amazon had 1 pair left so I grabbed them
at 113.00 shipped which seemed very fair pricing.

My thoughts: as long as I have the Brainwavz HM5's here, which arrived yesterday,
I might as well have the 8400's here as well so I don't have to rely solely on memory
in order to compare the two.

So far, I like the HM5's overall more than I remember liking the 8400's.
But the 8400's definitely did some things better IIRC.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #350 of 456
Good for you, zazex.. glad you're giving them another shot.

Mine arrived earlier today.  There's been some speculation about different versions which I tended to agree with.. especially about the initial pairs from when they were released.. my pair (which I got late in 2011) didn't sound anywhere near as bad as the early versions seemed to measure.  If they did, I would've been hard pressed to give them another shot.  The 8400 I received today had a clear cover and a while plastic shell which housed the headphones.  I ordered from the same Amazon place/vendor zazex did (I ordered when there were three in stock).

As expected, they were less than impressive ootb: a bit shrill & fatiguing in the treble.. thin through the midrange.. and loose & flat in the bass region.  Despite that, they were still quite surprisingly still quite listenable.. and enjoyable.  After a good five to six hours of burn in, they're starting to show their true potential.  The 8400 sound every bit as lovely as I remember them from the first time I owned them.  Most all my listening with the 8400 has been with an iPhone (streaming 320Kpbs music from my MOG app) & the UHA-6S MKII & Objective 2 amp.   A few things I'm really diggin' so far:

-The soundstage is really impressive for a closed phone.  They don't feel "closed in" or claustrophobic in the least.  Impressive width & fantastic depth.  The fact these phones are very easy to listen to for extended period of time (both in tuning and comfort) gives your ears ample time to adjust to the soundstage & you'll come to appreciate the fact it's really well proportioned.

I've heard many phones that have great depth, but no width.. and vice versa.  The most enjoyable phones are ones that always have a hefty amount of depth and enough width to balance it out.  I've never felt the need to have a massively wide soundstage as imaging tends to suffer from an artificially wide stage when location queues feel excessively distant or unnatural.  I get none of that with the 8400.

-The 8400 has fantastic extension.  I was surprised by how deep the bass extended.. and how effortlessly it did so.  When amped, I was able to make out individual notes in the the sub bass region with ease.  The 8400 never lost control of or muddied those seemingly subterranean frequencies.  It was definitely some of the most impressive clarity and extension I've heard from any phone actually.  The bass also had a nice punch to it.  Certainly not basshead-satisfying.. but when looking at what this phone aims to achieve in the grand scheme of things.. the bass presentation fits in very well.

At the other end of the spectrum.. the treble shimmered, sparkled, and shined so effortlessly.. and extended with just as much as ease as it did with the bass.  I'll refrain from talking about the treble more cause there isn't much for me to add (to what's already been said by others) aside from the fact.. it's stunning, vivid, clean, clear, and showstealing.  To my ears, the -upper-midrange through treble- presentation mirrors that of the famed RE272.  I'm looking forward to doing more A/bing between the RE272 & 8400.. particularly in this frequency region, causes there's a frightening degree of similarity (especially in the all too crucial upper midrange).  In fact, I think this phone is a great match for those RE272 lovers that want to get that sound in a full sized, closed headphone.  It offers a very similar midrange-treble signature with a bit more heft and warmth through the lower midrange/bass (where the RE272 sound a little too fast and thin, at times).

-I love the midrange clarity, neutrality, and depth.  Timbre is exquisitely balanced: not too wet or dry.. thick or thin.. warm or cool.  Simply neutral, accurate, and very dynamic.  Here's where you begin to hear that delicate, 'ethereal' warmth I mentioned a few posts back.  It becomes more audible as the phones burn in.. you'll sense a faint, lovely touch of warmth which seemingly hugs the very edges of notes.  It gives everything in the mids (through the treble) a delicious touch of smoothness & liquidity.  There's an immersive, almost cinematic quality to the midrange presentation that's making it very difficult to put these phones down.  Sorry if it's tough to explain.. but once you hear it, you'll understand.  Other points..imaging is superb.  Due to the excellent space around individual instruments and balanced note weight, picking out the spatial aspects of sounds and instruments is easy and precise.  The decay of notes feels so very natural, too.  Everything simply sounds like it would in real life.  There's a rounded texture to it all that makes for a live feel.

For all the love the treble gets, I'm realizing that the midrange is the "darkhorse gem" of this phone.  It's not as apparent when you're playing less than ideally (well) recorded material.. but feed the 8400 some great classical, jazz, flamenco, bossa nova, or soul music.. and you'll be left picking your jaw off the floor marveling at the pristine vocal reproduction, swirling instrumentation, and excellent dynamics.  The Objective 2 seems to offers a lot of synergy that shows off the 8400's spectacular midrange flair.

-Amp comparison:  I'll get into this more in depth later on, perhaps, but briefly.. both the UHA & Objective 2 pair BEAUTIFULLY with the 8400.  I mean beautifully.  Both amps are quite similar in 'sound' (or lack thereof, right?) as they are both highly resolving, and transparent in nature while feature very low distortion.  These characteristics synergize with the 8400 extremely well to 'show off' the its incredible clarity, resolving ability, neutrality, and extension.  Some might want to 'jazz up' the 8400's neutrality with tubes or a more colored solid state amp.. but I want to hear that unique, KRK monitor-inspired neutral liquidity in all it's naked glory.  The UHA & O2 deliver that in spades.

I find the UHA to be the more technically proficient amp.. With the 8400, it seems to offer better control, more precise imaging, and a blacker background.  The O2 presents an absolutely epic (wide) soundstage.  It's quite something with the 8400.  Though it lacks some of the refinement as far as control and imaging accuracy the UHA seemed to excel at.  Personally, I enjoy both amps with the 8400.. but find myself preferring the O2 with the 8400 when I'm in the mood to throw technicalities out the window & just get lost in the expansive sound.  The O2 will show you just how impressive the 8400's soundstage width is, too.

-I can't stress this enough:  feed your sourced & amped 8400 rig music that's well recorded material.. it doesn't necessarily have to be very high bitrate/lossless stuff (I find 320Kbps more than enough), but more importantly.. try to ensure the music is mixed and mastered well.  You'll be floored by how these phones will sing with such material.  Most of my test tracks were from one of my favorite jazz groups, Acoustic Alchemy.. and listening to their music with the just the iPhone/O2 or UHA/8400 was immensely enjoyable.  As noted by many others, the 8400 can go to town on acoustic guitars and percussion.. and there's plenty of both from AA.  I can't recommend their music enough.. not only cause it's beautiful music.. but it's also great test material to see how your phones handle complexity, dynamics, detail, cotnrol, accuracy, and separation.

Next up.. the ODAC & then my desktop rig.  I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds with through TubeDAC-11's tube output.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #352 of 456
Quote:
Good for you, zazex.. glad you're giving them another shot.

Mine arrived earlier today.  There's been some speculation about different versions which I tended to agree with.. especially about the initial pairs from when they were released.. my pair (which I got late in 2011) didn't sound anywhere near as bad as the early versions seemed to measure.  If they did, I would've been hard pressed to give them another shot.  The 8400 I received today had a clear cover and a while plastic shell which housed the headphones.  I ordered from the same Amazon place/vendor zazex did (I ordered when there were three in stock).

As expected, they were less than impressive ootb: a bit shrill & fatiguing in the treble.. thin through the midrange.. and loose & flat in the bass region.  Despite that, they were still quite surprisingly still quite listenable.. and enjoyable.  After a good five to six hours of burn in, they're starting to show their true potential.  The 8400 sound every bit as lovely as I remember them from the first time I owned them.  Most all my listening with the 8400 has been with an iPhone (streaming 320Kpbs music from my MOG app) & the UHA-6S MKII & Objective 2 amp.   A few things I'm really diggin' so far:

-The soundstage is really impressive for a closed phone.  They don't feel "closed in" or claustrophobic in the least.  Impressive width & fantastic depth.  The fact these phones are very easy to listen to for extended period of time (both in tuning and comfort) gives your ears ample time to adjust to the soundstage & you'll come to appreciate the fact it's really well proportioned.

I've heard many phones that have great depth, but no width.. and vice versa.  The most enjoyable phones are ones that always have a hefty amount of depth and enough width to balance it out.  I've never felt the need to have a massively wide soundstage as imaging tends to suffer from an artificially wide stage when location queues feel excessively distant or unnatural.  I get none of that with the 8400.

-The 8400 has fantastic extension.  I was surprised by how deep the bass extended.. and how effortlessly it did so.  When amped, I was able to make out individual notes in the the sub bass region with ease.  The 8400 never lost control of or muddied those seemingly subterranean frequencies.  It was definitely some of the most impressive clarity and extension I've heard from any phone actually.  The bass also had a nice punch to it.  Certainly not basshead-satisfying.. but when looking at what this phone aims to achieve in the grand scheme of things.. the bass presentation fits in very well.

At the other end of the spectrum.. the treble shimmered, sparkled, and shined so effortlessly.. and extended with just as much as ease as it did with the bass.  I'll refrain from talking about the treble more cause there isn't much for me to add (to what's already been said by others) aside from the fact.. it's stunning, vivid, clean, clear, and showstealing.  To my ears, the -upper-midrange through treble- presentation mirrors that of the famed RE272.  I'm looking forward to doing more A/bing between the RE272 & 8400.. particularly in this frequency region, causes there's a frightening degree of similarity (especially in the all too crucial upper midrange).  In fact, I think this phone is a great match for those RE272 lovers that want to get that sound in a full sized, closed headphone.  It offers a very similar midrange-treble signature with a bit more heft and warmth through the lower midrange/bass (where the RE272 sound a little too fast and thin, at times).

-I love the midrange clarity, neutrality, and depth.  Timbre is exquisitely balanced: not too wet or dry.. thick or thin.. warm or cool.  Simply neutral, accurate, and very dynamic.  Here's where you begin to hear that delicate, 'ethereal' warmth I mentioned a few posts back.  It becomes more audible as the phones burn in.. you'll sense a faint, lovely touch of warmth which seemingly hugs the very edges of notes.  It gives everything in the mids (through the treble) a delicious touch of smoothness & liquidity.  There's an immersive, almost cinematic quality to the midrange presentation that's making it very difficult to put these phones down.  Sorry if it's tough to explain.. but once you hear it, you'll understand.  Other points..imaging is superb.  Due to the excellent space around individual instruments and balanced note weight, picking out the spatial aspects of sounds and instruments is easy and precise.  The decay of notes feels so very natural, too.  Everything simply sounds like it would in real life.  There's a rounded texture to it all that makes for a live feel.

For all the love the treble gets, I'm realizing that the midrange is the "darkhorse gem" of this phone.  It's not as apparent when you're playing less than ideally (well) recorded material.. but feed the 8400 some great classical, jazz, flamenco, bossa nova, or soul music.. and you'll be left picking your jaw off the floor marveling at the pristine vocal reproduction, swirling instrumentation, and excellent dynamics.  The Objective 2 seems to offers a lot of synergy that shows off the 8400's spectacular midrange flair.

-Amp comparison:  I'll get into this more in depth later on, perhaps, but briefly.. both the UHA & Objective 2 pair BEAUTIFULLY with the 8400.  I mean beautifully.  Both amps are quite similar in 'sound' (or lack thereof, right?) as they are both highly resolving, and transparent in nature while feature very low distortion.  These characteristics synergize with the 8400 extremely well to 'show off' the its incredible clarity, resolving ability, neutrality, and extension.  Some might want to 'jazz up' the 8400's neutrality with tubes or a more colored solid state amp.. but I want to hear that unique, KRK monitor-inspired neutral liquidity in all it's naked glory.  The UHA & O2 deliver that in spades.

I find the UHA to be the more technically proficient amp.. With the 8400, it seems to offer better control, more precise imaging, and a blacker background.  The O2 presents an absolutely epic (wide) soundstage.  It's quite something with the 8400.  Though it lacks some of the refinement as far as control and imaging accuracy the UHA seemed to excel at.  Personally, I enjoy both amps with the 8400.. but find myself preferring the O2 with the 8400 when I'm in the mood to throw technicalities out the window & just get lost in the expansive sound.  The O2 will show you just how impressive the 8400's soundstage width is, too.

-I can't stress this enough:  feed your sourced & amped 8400 rig music that's well recorded material.. it doesn't necessarily have to be very high bitrate/lossless stuff (I find 320Kbps more than enough), but more importantly.. try to ensure the music is mixed and mastered well.  You'll be floored by how these phones will sing with such material.  Most of my test tracks were from one of my favorite jazz groups, Acoustic Alchemy.. and listening to their music with the just the iPhone/O2 or UHA/8400 was immensely enjoyable.  As noted by many others, the 8400 can go to town on acoustic guitars and percussion.. and there's plenty of both from AA.  I can't recommend their music enough.. not only cause it's beautiful music.. but it's also great test material to see how your phones handle complexity, dynamics, detail, cotnrol, accuracy, and separation.

Next up.. the ODAC & then my desktop rig.  I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds with through TubeDAC-11's tube output.

Good grief, man. You could convince a mermaid to buy seawater with that kind of writing.

I guess I'm lucky that I prefer iems to headphones, or I'd be even more broke right now.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #353 of 456
I wish I had a pair that had all this nice mid-bass. I mean it's OK. I think the problem is that mine doesn't have much clamping force at all. That's probably why.

I'm going to try to force them to have more clamp. My Q701 even sounds more warm than these.

BTW my first pair came in a box with just a white plastic shell. The KRK sat inside (no bag) and had a piece of foam attached to the lid.

The 3rd pair had the CLEAR shell that was designed to fit around the headphone. No foam on the lid.

The 2nd came in a box similar to the first. Sounded a tad better than the first. Third is just fine.

The first pair had very, very relaxed mids. Felt almost as bad as an AD700, but with more bass.

This pair is close to a closed Q701 in many ways.

Please tell me someone has tried these with Skyrim! If not, go do it immediately!
Both are so accurate that they sounded so similar in that game. Obviously q701 has a larger soundstage.

Here's one song that sounds kind of a bit "off" on the 8400. I don't know what's going on:

On the 8400 it's quite thin (and tinny sounding) and just sounds not right. On the HD-580, K601 and Q701 it's very full and warm sounding. Just about perfect.
Maybe the 8400 is just more accurate. That whole album is good for testing some headphones. It often makes the 8400 and my DJ100 seem semi-open (on a good DAC). Note: i'm using the CD/FLAC version.

I just tested this again and the 8400 is closer to how it sounds on the K601, but the K601 is still a warmer headphone.

You know what's annoying.. comparing the 6400 to the 8400. Sometimes it's very easy and other times..not so much. With this song I can barely tell them apart.

Well my guess is that the KNS-8400 is just more accurate than my other headphones. I can switch to bassy songs and it's like they're a completely different headphone.

To my ears these have more sub-bass than mid-bass
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #354 of 456
My 8400's arrived today.

I'll write some thoughts about them after they break in a bit,
but right out of the box they sounded much more solid in the
bass than the pair I owned about a year ago. 

(And a  much better listen overall.)

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #355 of 456
I am trying to find myself the "right" entry headphone, and, after doing some research, I think KRK KNS-8400 might be the one for me! Many reviews of these make it sound perfect for my obsession with classical music. But I still want to ask you guys a bit...

So originally, I thought I wanted open headphones because bigger soundstage would match better with orchestral music (and my tastes). I was about to buy ATH-AD700... but I realized that using an open pair would not be the best idea when studying around campus so I recently switched my focus over to closed headphones. I understand closed phones have limited soundstage, which is a disappointment for me. 

After a bit of reading/researching, I have narrowed down my list to these headphones: KRK KNS-8400, KNS-6400, AKG K271. 

I basically want: clear mids/treble, clean bass (not too heavy), somewhat big soundstage. I'll be listening to lots of orchestral/symphonic music, string quartets, piano solos, piano concertos... not too much of operas or vocal classical music. Mostly instrumental. 

What do you think would best suit me? :D

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #356 of 456
Real life instruments for those genres - the KRK's are unbelievably natural and fast. The soundstage is small but precise. At this price range this is the most natural I've heard, similar to my HE-500. Instrumentals are really good on this, especially the real ones.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #360 of 456
Yep.. absolutely loving my 8400.  I've got a new tube for my TD-11 that's going to arrive next week.  I'm pretty excited about it.

As far as music, I'm really enjoying how the 8400 portays acoustic guitar.  The timbre is simply spectacular.. note weight is just right.. not too thick.. not too thin.. I hope some owners get a chance to hear the 8400 with the Objective 2.. clarity and detail out the yay.

One album I recommend is Peter White's "Here We Go."

The one thing I do wish for is a shorter cord.  Getting something custom made seems difficult due to the proprietary plug.  Might have see what can be done, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back