The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Feb 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #166 of 456

Quote:
The KRK KNS-6400 has a bit more mid-bass to me, but less present sub-bass (similar extension). Based on graphs you'd think the 8400 would have more mid-bass, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
The 6400 SEEMS to have a less accurate/larger soundstage, but more forward mids and less treble. Slightly less clear, but this could be just due to signature variations. I bet one could EQ the 6400 to make it sound similar to the 8400 (without the soundstage).

The difference in bass between the two is definitely noticeable in gaming. Some people say the 8400 is more musical than the 6400, but it depends on what does it for you. I do like the more forward sounding mids of the 6400 a lot. Now, I don't mean it really has forward mids, just in comparison to the 8400.

BTW I wonder what the 6400 pads would do to the 8400? I should try it. I test both pads on the 6400 and didn't notice much difference. It's a pain to compare them!

I haven't heard any headphone similar the 8400, but with more bass other than the 6400. There is my favorite DJ100, but it's treble is more comparable to the 6400 and it's mids are MUCH more forward. Sound clarity IMO is about the same as the 6400. It makes both the KRKs seem bass light. DJ100 to me is just under being bass heavy. About 5% less bass than the M50 I'd say.

Closest headphone to the 8400 I've heard is the Q701. No joke..Feels like a closed Q701 almost.

I was thinking of maybe later on getting Q701/K701/K702 for mixing, but if you say the 8400 are actually that close than I guess I won't have to get those. For final mixing, I always prefer speakers but can't usually disturb other people especially late at night.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #167 of 456
sorry wrong post

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #171 of 456
Sorry for the wrong posts above :frowning2:

I tried the KRK 8400 out of my ipod nano 5g and didn't like it as much as the 6400.

The earpads are nicer but the way they covered my ears and isolated,made some lower frequences have more presence than normal,and the sound was a bit unnatural and "heavy".

But when I reduced the presure of the earcups a little bit using my hands,I actually liked the sound signature,so I guess it has something to do with the way these pads fit my ears.They are comfortable,I felt that the pads covered my ears well,but they had a bad result to the sound,at least for me.Anybody else experienced it?

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #172 of 456
My first post!! I have been stalking this website for many years and it has helped me out through a lot of decisions. But I need a very specific answer about these headphones before i buy.

Will the 8400 be good for Producing Techno/Tech-House tracks? I have reference monitors but i like produce do work mostly at night. Will I be able to make same atleast a "decent" mix on these hearing audio changes such as compression, eq, panning? Things like bass, drums, and percussion levels are very important

Thanks alot guys!

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #173 of 456

Quote:
My first post!! I have been stalking this website for many years and it has helped me out through a lot of decisions. But I need a very specific answer about these headphones before i buy.

Will the 8400 be good for Producing Techno/Tech-House tracks? I have reference monitors but i like produce do work mostly at night. Will I be able to make same atleast a "decent" mix on these hearing audio changes such as compression, eq, panning? Things like bass, drums, and percussion levels are very important

Thanks alot guys!

lol in the same boat as me. Btw, welcome to headfi and sorry about your wallet...but you've probably heard that before :) 

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #175 of 456

Quote:
Correct me if Im wrong....ive seen a few people say that the bass is not quite there for "listening " purposes, but for producing / mixing shouldnt it be fine with its accurate/flat response and non colored frequencies?

To my ears, it's ALL there, but just not as present or as forward sounding as on other headphones. Just not much bass impact at all too. It's really surprising how low these go though. I was testing them and came out impressed. No match for my DJ100 in the bass area, but not too bad.

It seems like a balancing act and if KRK added any more bass, the mids and treble just would not be the same.

Maybe I'm wrong, but with most headphones it's too hard to have perfect everything. Something always has to suffer something. There's lots of people who think you can have lots of bass and treble and forward mids. I don't think so
biggrin.gif
Is there a dynamic headphone driver in a headphone that has a PERFECTLY flat graph down to the low bass? I haven't seen it yet and I'm curious. I think the flatest graph I've ever seen was an old K601 graph from Headroom. Don't know how accurate it is.

Basically the bass on the 8400 is similar to the AKGs. It's there, but just sounds a bit different than most headphone. Strangely enough lately the bass on my 8400 seems to have gotten better. Must be my imagination. If you watch lots of bass heavy stuff on Youtube, it's really amazing the bass you can get from the KRKs.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #176 of 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Basically the bass on the 8400 is similar to the AKGs. It's there, but just sounds a bit different than most headphone. Strangely enough lately the bass on my 8400 seems to have gotten better. Must be my imagination. If you watch lots of bass heavy stuff on Youtube, it's really amazing the bass you can get from the KRKs.

How long have you had them? Think burn in improved the bass?

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #178 of 456
For me the bass is present but not as deep as headphones such as the ATH-M50s, which I find allows other frequencies to be heard easier. Also I think they do have some slightly boosted mids and highs. Not sure if neutral is better for mixes, or just preference. The speed for these is very good; the sound plays and then fades away quickly. To me it sounds quite clear and clean; it's somewhat like the AKG Q701/K701 like tdockweiler was saying. It has a pretty light sound, sometimes almost to the point of being thin, but I think this makes it easier to analyze more of what's happening in the music. But then I don't mix music, so I can't tell for sure 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #179 of 456
Thanks for the info guys, im about a step away from pulling the trigger on these 
smily_headphones1.gif

But one more quick question....durabilty / life span? I know these have not been out as long as some very mentioned headphones but has anyone had these long enough to vouch on durabilty / life span....i know some ppl have had the same pair of AKG,Senn, etc for 5+ years...this is big for me as i only want to add to my gear in the future not replace 

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #180 of 456

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys, im about a step away from pulling the trigger on these 
smily_headphones1.gif

But one more quick question....durabilty / life span? I know these have not been out as long as some very mentioned headphones but has anyone had these long enough to vouch on durabilty / life span....i know some ppl have had the same pair of AKG,Senn, etc for 5+ years...this is big for me as i only want to add to my gear in the future not replace 

Indeed, QC and durability seem to be an issue. Other than that tdockweiler had to try 3 pairs of 8400, each of which sound somewhat different, before finally settling down, the right channel of my first pair just went away within 2 months of purchase, while my Sony MDR 7506 has served me for years without a problem.

That said, if you managed to get a good pair then these are strong contenders at this price point. My another studio monitor, the Sony CD 900ST with the Beyerdynamic DT250 pads replacement, certainly surpass the KRK in terms of resolution of details and preserve timbre and tonality very well - provided the upstream equipment is up to it.  If we use fine art of picture as analogue, the picture with the Sony was painted with finer pigment. The KRK is more coarse and tonally bleached in comparison.  The Sony simply is technically in a higher caliber but the fun factor is not evident, some may even find it boring with some genre. For the going price of around $100 the KRK has better pitch definition and prat and is better suited for more diverse kind of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back