The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Jan 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #151 of 456

Quote:
I bought them.... I hope I didn't make a mistake. :S

Heh, well it's all relative!

I hope you like them. I'd suggest listening to music more than freaking out over "fidelity". If there are annoyances about the phone that you can't get past whilst enjoying music, it's a bad headphone. So far, the 8400 have been the best overall performers for me.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #153 of 456

Hey guys, after a lot of research and debating I was just about to order some hd518's for my dad, and the salesperson at headroom suggested these may be a good alternative. My pops likes vocalists especially, such as Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel, etc and also listens to a lot of "classic" jazz like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, etc (not smooth jazz). He would be powering the headphones off of a PC.

Which of these sets of cans do you guys think would be best for him? How would you compare the presentation of vocals, and also the soundstage of the two pairs?

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #154 of 456

Quote:
Hey guys, after a lot of research and debating I was just about to order some hd518's for my dad, and the salesperson at headroom suggested these may be a good alternative. My pops likes vocalists especially, such as Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel, etc and also listens to a lot of "classic" jazz like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, etc (not smooth jazz). He would be powering the headphones off of a PC.

Which of these sets of cans do you guys think would be best for him?

I've had both, and I definitely prefer the 8400s.  They're a lot cleaner and have better instrument separation, and drums sound better.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #155 of 456
Can anyone else speak to the KNS/RE-0 comparison? I've had the -0 in the past and they were my favorite headphones before I got rid of them. I'd be interested to hear a full-size with a similar sound signature.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #156 of 456

Quote:

Which of these sets of cans do you guys think would be best for him? How would you compare the presentation of vocals, and also the soundstage of the two pairs?

I never had the hd518's but having the KRK KNS-8400 for almost a week already and using them for at least ten hours everyday i can say vocals are definitely very nice with excellent clarity like i would get from my 1970s-80s speakers. I just started listening to them for the first time today at normal to loud volume and was instantly floored with joy as i heard the buetiful separtion of instruments and the very clear dominating vocals of Ozzy Osbourne singing Miracle Man. Yes vocals are one of the strengths of the KRK KNS-8400. Also the different tonal qualities between different lyrics is very noticeable as i listen to Devil's Daughter from the same album.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #159 of 456

Quote:
How is the isolation of this headphone? Are they good for portable usage? 
I'm listening to japanese house music with female vocals..

They're great for isolation in the distant environment like say going out for a walk in the park on a quiet day or in your apartment when all alone. For nearer audio situations such as a television in the background or people talking in the same room they're not as good. At the level of volume i play them 18 to 25 on my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever they dont leak sound. They might if one really plays them ear shattering loud though.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #160 of 456
I ordered these and will be getting them soon. Anyone have these and the Ultrasone pro 900? How do these two compare? I know that pro 900 has more bass impact than these and have recessed mids but how does everything else compare between the two.  

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #161 of 456
I plan to use the 8400 as monitors for production and also for listening to music. Anyone know how these do with electronica? I know the Ultrasone pro 900 is amazing at that.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #162 of 456
So I've had the KNS8400 for about a month and my 45 day trial period will come to an end soon.  I enjoy the sound and they are super comfortable but I wish they had a touch more punch/bass impact (I'm new here so don't know they terms yet).

Is there a set of headphones that are similar to the KNS8400 with a little bit more bass?

word

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #163 of 456

Quote:
So I've had the KNS8400 for about a month and my 45 day trial period will come to an end soon.  I enjoy the sound and they are super comfortable but I wish they had a touch more punch/bass impact (I'm new here so don't know they terms yet).

Is there a set of headphones that are similar to the KNS8400 with a little bit more bass?

word

The KRK KNS-6400 has a bit more mid-bass to me, but less present sub-bass (similar extension). Based on graphs you'd think the 8400 would have more mid-bass, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
The 6400 SEEMS to have a less accurate/larger soundstage, but more forward mids and less treble. Slightly less clear, but this could be just due to signature variations. I bet one could EQ the 6400 to make it sound similar to the 8400 (without the soundstage).

The difference in bass between the two is definitely noticeable in gaming. Some people say the 8400 is more musical than the 6400, but it depends on what does it for you. I do like the more forward sounding mids of the 6400 a lot. Now, I don't mean it really has forward mids, just in comparison to the 8400.

BTW I wonder what the 6400 pads would do to the 8400? I should try it. I test both pads on the 6400 and didn't notice much difference. It's a pain to compare them!

I haven't heard any headphone similar the 8400, but with more bass other than the 6400. There is my favorite DJ100, but it's treble is more comparable to the 6400 and it's mids are MUCH more forward. Sound clarity IMO is about the same as the 6400. It makes both the KRKs seem bass light. DJ100 to me is just under being bass heavy. About 5% less bass than the M50 I'd say.

Closest headphone to the 8400 I've heard is the Q701. No joke..Feels like a closed Q701 almost.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #164 of 456

Quote:
I plan to use the 8400 as monitors for production and also for listening to music. Anyone know how these do with electronica? I know the Ultrasone pro 900 is amazing at that.

Bass heavy electronica with these will be a complete fail and make you sad. Sorry, I had to say it. All the bass will be there, but it just won't try to impress you and there will not be much bass impact. To me, it's similar to listening to bass heavy electronica on the Q701. OK, maybe not that bad, but close.

Of course it doesn't mean it's bad, but not a good match. Now for ambient, they're amazing.
biggrin.gif

I bet the 8400 and the Pro 900 are complete opposites. Doesn't the Pro 900 have as much bass as say the D1100 or DT-770 Pro?

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #165 of 456

Quote:
Bass heavy electronica with these will be a complete fail and make you sad. Sorry, I had to say it. All the bass will be there, but it just won't try to impress you and there will not be much bass impact. To me, it's similar to listening to bass heavy electronica on the Q701. OK, maybe not that bad, but close.

Of course it doesn't mean it's bad, but not a good match. Now for ambient, they're amazing.
biggrin.gif

I bet the 8400 and the Pro 900 are complete opposites. Doesn't the Pro 900 have as much bass as say the D1100 or DT-770 Pro?

Hmm, yea I figured. I am going to get the pro 900 eventually for purely listening purposes and have the 8400 primarily as monitors. Besides the bass, I wonder how the mids and highs compare between the pro 900 and 8400. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back