The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Oct 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #46 of 456
Well, it was good, but I've decided to sell my 8400s.  I just prefer the FA-003s.  They're in the FS forum:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/576081/krk-kns-8400-like-new-with-modified-headband

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #47 of 456
Interesting. With good luck, I'll have the FA-003's in my hands this week. 

Will compare these two. The 8400 are quite wonderful from anything else in this price class, so it will be interesting. Mid-range performance of the 8400 is simply amazing, still. Every bit of musical information is transcribed, so to speak. If the FA-003 are anything like a HD600, they have no chance... Maybe a more acceptable tonal characteristic, but if it's just that, I don't think I'll keep them. 

Will have my girlfriend tab some notes to songs she's never heard and see which headphone qualifies as the better choice for this purpose. Again, the 8400 have been second to none in this regard. I call this musicality 
regular_smile .gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #48 of 456
I just thought I would add something--

I was looking for a headphone as a gift for someone for some time in the sub 200, closed and portable category.  I demoed some stuff in the trek to find the right one (HD280, HD380, SRH440, HFI680, HD-25 I-II, SRH840 and the previously owned PX 360 as well as currently owned HD448) and none of them had just the right sound for their tastes.  I couldn't settle for any of the options as a well rounder... it seemed like each headphone had some really nice strengths but just weren't versatile enough for me.  I was leaning to the SRH440 when I stumbled upon these KNS-8400.  Honestly, not only are they very portable, easy to drive, very lightweight, closed (and ACTUALLY isolate decently), and extremely comfortable, they sounded great for what I was looking for.  Of the options I listed earlier, these did the best at not emphasizing any particular part of the spectrum, but just laying out the sound.  Somehow, while doing this their sound had energy!  I'm not going to say they are ruler flat or anything like that, but the extension is good, the separation is solid (for a closed set), and they do actually sound neutral to my ears... but not in an unnatural way.  I found my winner-- these are certainly a "sleeper".

If I wasn't so partial to my HD448, the KNS8400 might have replaced it as my "plug and play" headphone.  I just prefer the warmer, darker sound of the HD448 for extremely laid back listening sessions when the music shouldn't grab my attention as much-- like when studying.

The KRK KNS-8400 gets my endorsement, for whatever that means.  I'll have them for some time before I gift them off (for Christmas), might spend some time with them and write up a review.  She won't mind
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #49 of 456

Quote:

I was looking for a headphone as a gift for someone for some time in the sub 200, closed and portable category.  I demoed some stuff in the trek to find the right one (HD280, HD380, SRH440, HFI680, HD-25 I-II, SRH840 and the previously owned PX 360 as well as currently owned HD448) and none of them had just the right sound for their tastes.  I couldn't settle for any of the options as a well rounder... it seemed like each headphone had some really nice strengths but just weren't versatile enough for me.  I was leaning to the SRH440 when I stumbled upon these KNS-8400.  Honestly, not only are they very portable, easy to drive, very lightweight, closed (and ACTUALLY isolate decently), and extremely comfortable, they sounded great for what I was looking for.  Of the options I listed earlier, these did the best at not emphasizing any particular part of the spectrum, but just laying out the sound.  Somehow, while doing this their sound had energy!  I'm not going to say they are ruler flat or anything like that, but the extension is good, the separation is solid (for a closed set), and they do actually sound neutral to my ears... but not in an unnatural way.  I found my winner-- these are certainly a "sleeper".

If I wasn't so partial to my HD448, the KNS8400 might have replaced it as my "plug and play" headphone.  I just prefer the warmer, darker sound of the HD448 for extremely laid back listening sessions when the music shouldn't grab my attention as much-- like when studying.

The KRK KNS-8400 gets my endorsement, for whatever that means.  I'll have them for some time before I gift them off (for Christmas), might spend some time with them and write up a review.  She won't mind
wink_face.gif

Thanks for the impressions. They're still a bit under-appreciated here along with the DJ100. I still have my KRK KNS-6400 and use it all the time.

I'd definitely be interested in a review of the 8400 if you ever do one. I actually prefer the KRKs to even the Shure SRH-940 and SRH-840.

What's interesting is that today I heard someone say the 8400 is warmer sounding than the 6400. Never realized this before, but maybe that's true. I may pick up another 8400 if I ever find a really, really good deal on them used or something.

The KRKs have also dropped in price a lot. The 6400 is still $70 at B&H down from $100. I might sell my like new M50 and get another 8400.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #50 of 456
What's interesting is that today I heard someone say the 8400 is warmer sounding than the 6400. Never realized this before, but maybe that's true. I may pick up another 8400 if I ever find a really, really good deal on them used or something.

Despite not having heard the 6400 (but feeling like I've got a good beat on their sound thanks to your indepth impressions), I would not be surprised.  The treble has smoothed out considerably (but still has a ton of sparkle, crispness, detail) since I bought the 8400.  I absolutely love how they sound now, btw.  Tons of detail but no fatigue to speak of.  There's definitely a refined warmth that envelopes the whole sound... it took a good 50 hours to get it though.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #51 of 456

Quote:

wink_face.gif

Glad you like them!

Do fare them against your 940's, if she really doesn't mind... 
wink.gif
 I've been looking at the 940's used in Finland actually, just to try out..

To add to the aforementioned comments: I believe the treble has smoothed out a bit. It's not as fatiguing as it used to be. Burn in or something to which I've gotten used?

Been listening with the FA-003 quite a lot recently, but I prefer these. Somewhat relaxing to always switch back to the 8400. Don't exactly know why..

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #52 of 456

Quote:

I'd definitely be interested in a review of the 8400 if you ever do one. I actually prefer the KRKs to even the Shure SRH-940 and SRH-840.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought to do a comparison between the 940 and 8400 given their price tier differences (not suggesting price is always related to performance), but when I have both on the table I might look into this.  Most people compare headphones within a similar price bracket when considering a purchase, but I agree that is a flaw in itself.  Out of familiarity with the 940 and not yet A/Bing the two, my initial impression from memory is that the KNS-8400 is indeed more natural sounding.  I think the 940 might capture a little more of the music though (detail), but I need to make sure this isn't just because of the treble emphasis of the 940, because it could be.  I'd need to A/B them and look for specifics to tell... and either way, even if the seemingly enhanced detail is only a result of the treble empasis, some credit should be given if the detail is easier to pick up, regardless of the reason.

I don't understand why some people are calling the 940 "thin" sounding.  I honestly think it is quite the opposite.  If anything, I find the treble almost cold sounding, yet still thick, which is unusual.  The 840 sounded thinner to my ears except for that meaty midbass.  I even preferred  the SRH440 to the 840, although I can see why people appreciate the 840 (definitely not advertising the 840 as a bad headphone).  The 940 is certainly colored though, and I always thought it would be kind of a poor monitor from the start.  I think it is more fun than analytical, but I seem to be a minority with that opinion.  It has its strengths for sure, but not as anything resembling a flat monitor.  I'd think the KNS-8400 would be much better for this, and also a much better "well-rounder".

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #53 of 456

Quote:
Glad you like them!

Do fare them against your 940's, if she really doesn't mind... 
wink.gif
 I've been looking at the 940's used in Finland actually, just to try out..

To add to the aforementioned comments: I believe the treble has smoothed out a bit. It's not as fatiguing as it used to be. Burn in or something to which I've gotten used?

Been listening with the FA-003 quite a lot recently, but I prefer these. Somewhat relaxing to always switch back to the 8400. Don't exactly know why..

I should be posting impressions of the KNS-8400 in a week or two. I want to spend a little more time with them before hitting any sort of concrete conclusion.

Short initial impressions (Now that I have my hands on them and am NOT testing in a store): The bass texture is very good, level of detail is fine and the balance is likely the most impressive aspect of the headphone.  Seem pretty neutral to me... more so than a lot of cans people call neutral, at least.

So far they live up to their monitor status.

I say all this loosely.  We'll see if anything changes.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #54 of 456

Quote:
I should be posting impressions of the KNS-8400 in a week or two. I want to spend a little more time with them before hitting any sort of concrete conclusion.

Short initial impressions (Now that I have my hands on them and am NOT testing in a store): The bass texture is very good, level of detail is fine and the balance is likely the most impressive aspect of the headphone.  Seem pretty neutral to me... more so than a lot of cans people call neutral, at least.

So far they live up to their monitor status.

I say all this loosely.  We'll see if anything changes.

Looking forward to the impressions, especially any comparisons to your SRH-940. I do like the SRH-940 a lot, but prefer the KRKs. If I ever found an SRH-940 for around $150, I'd probably buy it.

BTW I saw your old comments on the SRH-940 and how some people call them thin sounding. I can't figure that out, since to me they're not even remotely thin sounding. Maybe to someone who's used an HD-650 for 5 years or doesn't have them amped well.

I found them rather full sounding and it's mids reminded me of the HD-600?! Huh?! Reminds me of a mix of a bright and energetic headphone and an HD-600. Pretty strange. Instruments had a lot of body to them, which is not really something I expected.
It could be my amp helping, but who knows.

To me it's hard to compare the SRH-940 to the KRK KNS-8400 since they have a lot of differences. SRH-940 is more musical to probably 75% of people, but I could care less!

I don't know if the SRH-940 is more detailed than the KRKs. I wasn't able to find anything I couldn't hear on the KRK KNS-6400, but I'm sure it's possible.

Kind of miss the KNS-8400, but the 6400 will have to do for now. What's nice though is that I upgraded my DAC and now my 6400 sounds even better! Seems the HRT Music Streamer II is good for the AKG and KRK headphones.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #55 of 456

Quote:

Looking forward to the impressions, especially any comparisons to your SRH-940. I do like the SRH-940 a lot, but prefer the KRKs. If I ever found an SRH-940 for around $150, I'd probably buy it.

BTW I saw your old comments on the SRH-940 and how some people call them thin sounding. I can't figure that out, since to me they're not even remotely thin sounding. Maybe to someone who's used an HD-650 for 5 years or doesn't have them amped well.

I found them rather full sounding and it's mids reminded me of the HD-600?! Huh?! Reminds me of a mix of a bright and energetic headphone and an HD-600. Pretty strange. Instruments had a lot of body to them, which is not really something I expected.
It could be my amp helping, but who knows.

To me it's hard to compare the SRH-940 to the KRK KNS-8400 since they have a lot of differences. SRH-940 is more musical to probably 75% of people, but I could care less!

Which old comments were you referring to?

I don't find the 940 thin (I think you were agreeing with my old comments?)  I won't reiterate my impressions if you've read them.
bigsmile_face.gif

The impressions between the two should be interesting, and I agree it won't be that easy because their signatures are different.  I might throw my other cans into the comparison as well.  Probably a standalone impression with some comparisons and then a comparison between all my gear.

We'll see where it goes

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #56 of 456
I posted impressions of my gear on this thread using one track.  I hope to build on it and add more in the future.  The KNS-8400 is included so I thought you might find it interesting.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #58 of 456

Quote:
Review made.

Feel free to comment/criticize/compliment

Just read the entire review. Very well done. Thanks!
Kind of missing these a bit lately, but the KNS-6400 are doing just fine and I won't ever sell those.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #59 of 456
What do you guys mean by the "monitor" sounding bass? Does this mean it's bass light? That it's bass light relative to consumer cans (that is; lower fidelity cans). Is the bass quantity and quality neutral and high fidelity? 

I am asking because I am a fidelity freak. I want cans that are 100% fidelity (or at least as close to it) in every way (frequency response, sound staging, instrument separation, etc). 

One more thing! How is the sound stage compared to say... the Pro 900 (which I am stuck with right now. I have grown to hate this thing - but I find the sound stage to be good... bear in mind the Pro 900 is my first pair of headphones)? Or the Sony MDR-V6? I was listening to my buddy's V6 today and I found the sound stage to be absolutely awful! 

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #60 of 456
Fidelity is a rather subjective issue. Some like soundstage and being able to locate instruments at their physical positions, some like ear deafening bass and define that as fidelity... To me it's all about the musical integrity. Every note must be heard true to its designated pitch. Whether the bass is light or strong is not a factor necessarily, but I've noticed that headphones on the lighter side do this better. Some prefer a punchy club bass that you're able to feel vs. hearing the musical message that the instrument plays, for instance. I've given up on the hope that headphones can come even close to proper speaker presentation, so my priority has for a while been accuracy in the previously mentioned way. Musicality, tunefulness, pitch accuracy... Whatever rocks your boat. 

I don't listen to soundstage at all, but if it has something to do with instrument separation, the 8400's are quite good. A brass orchestra is distinguished to the player, even though they're playing the same notes in the same key. This is something not many headphones can do properly... If you share the same interests or premises for musical reproduction from headphones, I can't think of a better headphone in this price class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back