The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
Dec 26, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #316 of 731
My ESP/9 (probably an early version) does not have any foam on the inside of the CUP - back side of the element - only about 1/2" foam on the front side of the element. The side cut out view from the ESP/9 manual I obtained indicates that none was originally installed on that back side of the element (inside of the cup). And from what I can tell, no foam was ever installed/glued on the inside of the cup of my ESP/9 - This is in contrast to the ESP/6 which contains foam on both front and rear of element. I've thought about installing some foam there anyway to determine of the extra damping might have an effect. As mentioned, I've never seen a closed system not dampen on the back side of the driver.

Best,

Juanito

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #317 of 731
Hello, I am considering buying a pair of ESP950s but have worries about both my wallet and the problems people have with the E90 amplifier. My max budget is £500 and can get the ESP950 for around £340 with my max budget being £500...I assume it is not possible to get a better amplifier for up to £160? The headphones I am looking at already have a Stax cable.

EDIT: Scratch considering, I have one of these swinging my way shortly
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #318 of 731
niko-time, share your thoughts with us once you get them.

I am getting mine tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #319 of 731
Well I finally got my pair. I have tried them like 2 hours so far. I could not hear any squeal when using the e/90 amp. When using the Stax amp I can hear a very faint sound when the drivers charge, and only on the right driver. No big deal.

I will try and make some kind of comparison can the Sr-202, one if my favorites.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #320 of 731
Shall post my thoughts when on them when I return home from skiing. Glad you don't have the dreaded squeal.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #321 of 731
Well, I have to say the Koss ESP-950 are quite nice. So far I think this headphones are really great for studio monitoring. The STAX sr-202 seem to be funnier, more rockable, if you understand what I mean.

Will keep my impressions coming.

EDIT: Well now I have both headphones connected to the same amp. It is a shame that the koss sounds lower and I don't have a SPL meter with me, so my impressions don't come from volume matching. Even so I can say that the koss is a very neutral pair. The sr-202 has a lot more of punch on the bass, and it is fun for metal.

To explain the difference I hear I am going to use some images so it is easier for the readers to understand it.
If the song is a book the headphones represent the angle the book opens. The best is to be able to <<read>> the entire book. As I am only comparing two headphones, one of them opens the book entirely whilst the other not. So in this case and with my ears the ESP-950 would be entirely opened (180º) allowing you to pick the nuances and read the entire page, whilst the SR-202 is slightly less opened (160º; I am making up all the percentages here). The nuances are still there, but you have to change your perspective (focus) in order to hear them.

I am literally hearing things I have not heard before, very easily. When putting the SR-202 I can also hear them, but I have to search more. Even so, the STAX really make me tap my toes, whilst the ESP-950 makes me stay focused on the music, listening for stuff and looking around my room, to see what has fallen to the ground or who is calling
biggrin.gif

I feel I am gonna like them a lot because they somehow remind me of the Phonak PFE. (With more bass and quite controlled again).

However I am certain depending on my mood I can change my opinion, so take everything with a grain of salt.
beerchug.gif

Regarding comfort, ESP-950 is very lightweight, comfortable but the pads are not that good and they scratch with my beard when I move a little. Can be a bit distracting, but not a deal breaker. The 202 pads are excellent quality. And the headband on the latter is more comfortable than the former.Later this night, when everything is silent I will try and listen again for any squeal or annoying sound this HPs might have. However so far and when playing music I can't hear anything annoying.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #323 of 731
Thanks for the feedback Bullseye. The comparison with the PFEs caught my attention... are you using them with black filters? Because even the Novas sound a bit brighter than the PFEs to my ears, and i wouldn't mind a bit more darkness.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #324 of 731
No, I am using PFE with grey filters.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #326 of 731
These 'phones are beautiful, really enjoying them and that is just with the stock amplifier. I haven't experienced anything this high end before so can't quite picture how the sound could be improved, thus making it difficult for me to give an objective view on them. Will be interesting to see the upgrade in quality once I upgrade the amp.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #327 of 731
You most probably won't really notice any difference, if correctly compared.

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #329 of 731
I can't really say they sound the same nor different. As I have mentioned, I have not been able to volume match the headphones when plugged to both amplifiers. I am also quite occupied at the moment and a bit stressed and I know that influences my thoughts on a certain headphone

However due to the all the data regarding amplification over dynamic headphones I wouldn't think it would be too wrong to think that amplification on electrostatic headphones affect the sound in a similar way.

Finally when using my memory for a comparison I thought the ESP-950 gave it more bass impact than the 252, but volume was different, and I might have put it louder on the E/90. Plus on the latter I get some HUM I don't get with the 252.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back