The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
Dec 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #302 of 731
esp8s, that's pretty interesting. i have the 9s, if you look at my older posts theres a tear down/rebuild on the koss foam should you find a ground problem. you'll know when you touch the hp frame and they hum. i keep mine on a hp stand right next to the stax and still enjoy them on occasion. i often consider using them to fund a new purchase then think i'd miss them.
nice find! i'd like to hear/read your impressions.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #304 of 731
Just received it: it's really an ESP8 - manual shows a 1869 © (and in it you can find a measurement of each can — slighlty différent from each other)

Just plug it on my main amplifier: you have to turn it high to have something but it doesn't sound bad (maybe right canal a little weak?)

I'll try it asap

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #306 of 731
Koss Electrostatic Line Overview - Wikiphonia

here's an article you might find interesting dub. i assume this phone can leach (draw) power form the amplifier as well as has some power of it's own. my 9's sound very different when run in the ac mode. i'm not sure if the eight has an ac mode, i saw in your pictures that there is a light on your energiser. i'm sure the author of the wiki would be interested; probally a member here.
hope you are enjoying them, closed stats are pretty rare!

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #307 of 731
Thanks for this article — in fact I'm pretty shure this ESP8 is not running well:

I can hear some little "scratch" from times to times and the right canal is to low from at least 4db — I can use it but after having corrected the levels and with the amp turned at half: this way it sounds pretty well (except some pretty scratchs), something close to my AKG K340 I think

I'll have to send it to the headphone's doctor (I'll try to find one in january…)

Maybe I'll decide to get some ESP950 since the taste of the 8 seems to be good

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #308 of 731
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax has one model like that too, the SR-2. Officially it never existed but I have at least one review of it.

Did you ever find an SR-2? Did Bob buy the SR-1?

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #310 of 731
Question:

With heavier hitting kick drums or electronic kicks at higher volume - the drivers make a noise that I would call "leaves rustling in the wind"... Is this a fault of the amplifier control at this volume or is the membrane rubbing on something internally or going beyond its limit?

If an amplifier upgrade or modification on the headphone itself cannot cure it, I don't see any reason to keeps these if I can't "rock" with them.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #311 of 731
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
esp8s, that's pretty interesting. i have the 9s, if you look at my older posts theres a tear down/rebuild on the koss foam should you find a ground problem. you'll know when you touch the hp frame and they hum. i keep mine on a hp stand right next to the stax and still enjoy them on occasion. i often consider using them to fund a new purchase then think i'd miss them.
nice find! i'd like to hear/read your impressions.

Yes I agree here. I hung onto my ESP9's and ESP6's even though I sold the ESP950. The closed cup design makes them useful from time to time. For a while I have been thinking that I preferred the sound of the ESP6 versus the ESP9 but after a recent upgrade of DAC's the 9 seems to have scaled up well and I appreciate it more.

One day I will get back to trying to run the 9's from a Stax amp.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #313 of 731
Trying to restore an ESP9 & don't have access to a soft copy of the ESP9 Service Manual showing a side cut out like the original ESP6 service manual does. Need to replace the foam. But does anyone know if the stock ESP 9s originally contained foam on the back side - against the cup like the ESP6s did?

Thanks,

Juanitosan

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #314 of 731
FYI: just found a softcopy of the ESP/9 maint manual and looks like there never was foam installed on the backside of the driver (inside edge of the CUP). First time I've seen this on any closed can (Stat or Dynamic).

Best,

Juanitosan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back