The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #7,218 of 8,352
Quote:
Actually, it wasn't the pads that hurt with the S400s.  It was the firm foam on the head band at the very top (i.e. center line).  From what I have seen and have been told, the S500 has a different (softer) padding in this area.  So, I think it will work fine.

Yeah, the headband is WAY better. I find the pads to be a little more stiff though, so hopefully that won't be a problem for you. Some people seem to have a lot of comfort issues with the stock pads.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #7,219 of 8,352
I think this case will fit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-hard-quadrate-case-for-Sony-mdr-NC6-NC7-ZX100-ZX300-ZX600-Headphones-/181022589146?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&hash=item2a25c980da

I just ordered it. Will let you guys know if it fit, when I have it
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #7,220 of 8,352
Aug 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #7,224 of 8,352
Quote:
Received mine from Japan today.  Superfast shipment from Japan to Sweden it toke only 6 days.
I choosed SAL, but he actually used registrated airmail. What a service. $51 with free shipping.
I highly recommend this seller on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170969883075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I found the sound directly from the box very good. I love the bass and the clarity is excellent.
Maybe my ears are kind of small, only the lower part of my ears sticks out and gets the very little pressure from the headphone. I actually think they are very
comfortable. I can agree that the ears feels a bit warm, but I guess every on-ear or over-ear would be like that.

By the look on all the photos on internet, I thought the gunmetal part  would look very platic and cheap. But in real there is actually a very thick clear coat on it
and looks like pretty much like the gunmetal chromed parts on cars. The black plastic is sturdy and  look good, doesn´t feel cheap at all.
No way you can tell that these headphone only cost $51 shipped. It feels like I just bought a pair of high-end and expensive headphone.

Thanks for recommend these, Dsnuts. I´m very satisfied and happy with it.

If someone find a good cheap case on ebay who fit these headphone, please post the link here. Thanks.

By the way, I must say the engineer who designed the package is a genius, so easy to open. Without using any scissors or knife.
Actually you can seal it back without problem too. I hate when the headphones are in blisterpack and you have to struggle to cut it open.

^ You obviously hasn't purchased any budget JVC iems, you need to literally man handle those things with a pair of scissors or a knife. Good luck trying to not stab yourself with it though.
triportsad.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #7,227 of 8,352
I read several pages back where the S500s were a "slight" upgrade to the Creative Aurvana Live.  What about some of the other <$100 headphones that are frequently suggested on head-fi such as the Koss DJ100, Shure SRH440, Philips Uptown, KRK KNS 6400, or Senn HD280 Pro?  Does the S500 beat these in overall SQ or does it become a matter of "personal preference" by music genre?

Thanks. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #7,229 of 8,352
Quote:
I read several pages back where the S500s were a "slight" upgrade to the Creative Aurvana Live.  What about some of the other <$100 headphones that are frequently suggested on head-fi such as the Koss DJ100, Shure SRH440, Philips Uptown, KRK KNS 6400, or Senn HD280 Pro?  Does the S500 beat these in overall SQ or does it become a matter of "personal preference" by music genre?

Thanks. 

I don't know about the headphones you listed, but the SQ is definitely on par with my ATH-M50's. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #7,230 of 8,352
Quote:
The S500 has a lot more sub bass power/texture than the CAL, which is essential for EDM. For Acoustic i don't know if the S500 is that much of an upgrade, it has been a while since i had them though.

Thanks.  The M-Audio Q40 is another one I'm thinking about saving up for (I see it in your signature).  I assume you must not have liked it that much because you no longer have it.  

I have the CAL! and plan on keeping it primarily for comfort, secondarily for sound quality.  I'll just have to work through the S500 comfort issues if I end up getting them (which I'm planning on doing when funds become available).

@xkonfuzed

I don't know about the headphones you listed, but the SQ is definitely on par with my ATH-M50's. 

Never tried the M50's.  From what I have read though (for the most part), your comment is a very good endorsement for the S500. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back