The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Apr 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #6,076 of 8,352
Quote:
About the size of any other over the ear pad. And depending on how big your ears are (depth) they may touch the edge of the stock pads slightly.

Quote:
Can't compare them to DT770, but HM5 are as big as they get. They are also more elliptic, resulting in a better fit.
You can't feel the stock pads underneath.You can't feel HM5 pads either
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, conflicting opinions it seems. Well, if they're the same diameter / depth as the DT770 pads I'd be fine.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #6,077 of 8,352
Ok this may seem strage posting this question in a fan thread, but here goes.

I am looking for a portable pair of headphones.

I have narrowed my search down to the DT 235 and the s500's.

The DT235 can be had about £20 cheaper than the s500.

What do?

I like the sound of my HD600 so bass is not a deal breaker.

HELP! HELP! HELP! lol

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #6,080 of 8,352
No the SR500 are not the S500's. These are not sold in North America order from Japan only through eBay or Amazon.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #6,082 of 8,352
Yes they are big head friendly. Mine are out 5 clicks.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #6,084 of 8,352
Quote:
I see there's a lot of talk about swapping pads but I can't afford both headphones and different pads at the same time

Are the stock pads that bad?

^ tbh the stocks pads are really not that bad, it's like any on-ears which means they are not the best in comfort when worn for long periods. The stock pads for sound and comfort is perfectly acceptable like most portable sets, and a lot of people seems to have went back to them after pad rolling for so long, kinda funny really.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #6,085 of 8,352
Would grado pads fit?

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #6,086 of 8,352
Apr 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #6,088 of 8,352
I see there's a lot of talk about swapping pads but I can't afford both headphones and different pads at the same time

Are the stock pads that bad?

As Sf has said, the stock pads are totally fine and I actually ended up preferring them in the end. I tried the ATH pleathers but they reduced the bass too much for me so yeah stock pads are good.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #6,089 of 8,352
Just wanted to say (finally)... "I've joined the HA-S500 club"

They arrived at the office today, and I can't wait to finish work to give them a first listen. 

Thanks to all the posters here who helped me find these beauties.

One interesting note- when colleagues spot them on my desk I find myself saying "Yes they are JVC, but they're special ones! Carbon Nanotubes from Japan." It seems JVC still have somewhat of an non-audiophile brand problem among the general public, or is that not the case elsewhere?

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #6,090 of 8,352
Quote:
Just wanted to say (finally)... "I've joined the HA-S500 club"

They arrived at the office today, and I can't wait to finish work to give them a first listen. 

Thanks to all the posters here who helped me find these beauties.

One interesting note- when colleagues spot them on my desk I find myself saying "Yes they are JVC, but they're special ones! Carbon Nanotubes from Japan." It seems JVC still have somewhat of an non-audiophile brand problem among the general public, or is that not the case elsewhere?

JVC was the last Japanese manufacturer that was still selling all "made in Japan" stuff when all the others already moved production into China. So their quality was always great, but they just didn't advertise much, so they ended up with an inferior image.
They also didn't have much presence in the mid- to hi-fi audio scene, were more into video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back