The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Mar 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #5,118 of 8,352
Heyo

Just signed up and about to do the duty and get my first set of cans, these JVC HA-S500's. I've got a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11 so we'll see how they sound on that on the tube out and I'll roll some tubes around.

I'm in western Canada. Should I buy it from Amazon where it's 42 CAD + 17 shipping or go the Amazon + Tenso route? Seems that the cost would be similar. I also have a friend in Japan so I could just do the amazon.jp to my buddy's house then have him send it over and then I wouldn't have to worry about duty charges.

Ya'll still enjoying these?

EE

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #5,119 of 8,352
Quote:
Heyo

Just signed up and about to do the duty and get my first set of cans, these JVC HA-S500's. I've got a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11 so we'll see how they sound on that on the tube out and I'll roll some tubes around.

I'm in western Canada. Should I buy it from Amazon where it's 42 CAD + 17 shipping or go the Amazon + Tenso route? Seems that the cost would be similar. I also have a friend in Japan so I could just do the amazon.jp to my buddy's house then have him send it over and then I wouldn't have to worry about duty charges.

Ya'll still enjoying these?

EE

I use mine more than any of my others.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #5,120 of 8,352
Just checked out some prices on Kakaku, looks cheaper than amazon.jp. Anyone gone this route with Tenso Forwarding? At those prices I thought I might get the JVC HA-S500 and the ATH CKN70 in ears for stealth phones.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #5,121 of 8,352
Quote:
Just checked out some prices on Kakaku, looks cheaper than amazon.jp. Anyone gone this route with Tenso Forwarding? At those prices I thought I might get the JVC HA-S500 and the ATH CKN70 in ears for stealth phones.

bear in mind those cheaper than Amazon Jp need shipping fees, while Amazon Jp is free. I did get mine from e-earphone through Tenso. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #5,122 of 8,352
Finally found a mod to increase the comfort of those S500
Warning, once done can't be undone!

Right side, remove two screws

scews removed...

with cutter remove 1mm from part shown (top arrow), right arrow shows 1mm piece cut off

Before mod

After mod.
Do the left side and you are done....
10 minutes mod.

I can finally wear the S500 for more than 15 minutes without my ears burning. Your milage may vary.

btw...these pads are ebay HD25 pads replacements, not originals.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #5,125 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey fanheads 
ksc75smile.gif

Anyone directly compared the bass on S500/S600 to XB500s? Is it comparable on flat EQ?

andreamang, add a bit of a salt to the answers, they are one-sided (you know where you are asking this, look again at the title...), but the thing is, CAL is not good at sound isolation and background noise (outdoors) basically kills the bass.

S500 vs XB500

Bass: 

..........Quantity = Winner XB500
..........Quality = S500

Mids:   S500 Winner
Highs:  S500 Winner

Overall SQ:  S500 winner

The XB500 is a very fun sounding HP, that bass is big and crazy,  if you need and want bass and something that will ratle shake your head, go for the XB500 (if you can still find them)
But other than that, there is nothing more in the XB500 than bass, the Mids are way to recesed, the highs almost non existent,  its like having a thick veil over a speaker, almost no detail in music,  only hard pounding  bass on your head.

S500 has less bass, but its more than enough for a lot of people, the bass is faster and has better quality, you can hear all of the instruments, and still can be a fun HP.

Personal Score:

XB500 = 6.5 points
S500:  8 points

I Sold my XB500 but bought a pair again, its such a guilty pleasure.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #5,127 of 8,352
I bought them on ebay and had no problems with customs, although I'm not sure how it is where you live

From this person http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-JVC-HA-S500-B-Black-Carbon-Nanotube-Stereo-Headphones-/360607979691?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item53f5e918ab

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #5,128 of 8,352
Quote:
Unfortunately I only saw now that all models are from Japan.
I'm afraid to pay customs ... probably not buy it.
There is a worthy replacement?

I don't think that you'll have to pay customs for 40$ headphone.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #5,129 of 8,352
Finally found a mod to increase the comfort of those S500
Warning, once done can't be undone!

Right side, remove two screws

scews removed...

with cutter remove 1mm from part shown (top arrow), right arrow shows 1mm piece cut off

Before mod

After mod.
Do the left side and you are done....
10 minutes mod.

I can finally wear the S500 for more than 15 minutes without my ears burning. Your milage may vary.

btw...these pads are ebay HD25 pads replacements, not originals.
What does this do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back