The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #4,501 of 8,352
Quote:
Holy crap just got my HM5 pads and the o-rings in, the S500's feel so plush and lightweight now!  Easily one of the most comfy setups I've ever listened to, especially with how painful the stock pads were... Noise isolation is also slightly improved.  Also helps improve its narrow soundstage, which was what IMO was the S500's biggest weakness.
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the elite S500 HM5 club!!! You're officially V.I.P. now. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #4,502 of 8,352
ok, i have to make some corrections to my yesterday`s comments:

as i said my configuration right now is, papertowel stuffed stock pads and k518 foam layer on top of the grill. that has calmed the highs quite a bit, so far, i can tolerate them now. so i gave them another brief listening this morning and i still miss soundstage depth and layering. there is simply no difference between a songs fore- and background. width and imaging would be borderline ok, but the lack of depth is really annoying.

but:

the bass is sooo addicting. i cannot stop listening to it. never heard such a fundamental but controlled bass from any headphone. the rest of the spectrum is nothing special but not bad either, isolation is quite good, as is comfort. so maybe we two will become friends. 
the bass might be good enough to tolerate the downsides, although i am a serious soundstage lover. we will see, what happens, when the m100 arrive today. 

i will keep you updated.

edit: i have some hm5 pads on the way, what diameter should the  rings have?

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #4,505 of 8,352
So I'm still considering buying these as they seem to be a pretty well lasting hype, and I need a new pair. However, how much of the praise they get is actually based on the sound of them with mods like new pads etc? I'd prefer to just buy the headphones and not bother with any new pads that need to be bought, although I'd be open to the free mods I've read about.
I would be listening to music with generally quite a bit of bass, which seems to be the main focus of the mods done.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #4,506 of 8,352
Quote:Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can see that the connection on the back would be better.  Also, using a USB DAC connected to a USB hub might mean that it will not function correctly either.  The signal / power that's preset at a hub is usually greatly reduced to a tiny trickle.  Even my secure Sandisk USB thumb drive can't be properly activated / accessed as there isn't enough juice flowing to the hub to allow it to be fully recognized.

Hi wje, what if it's a AC powered usb hub. Will it give a better result if it's supplying a full 5V? Thanks in advance and look forward to your opinion or anyone who have experience with this as I'm a total noob with these IT stuff.

I've also finally received my S500 today and it's burning in right now.  Next up will be the ELE Dac and O-rings which is on the way to me and should be placing the order for the HM5 pads. Cheers.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4,507 of 8,352
Quote:

as i said my configuration right now is, papertowel stuffed stock pads and k518 foam layer on top of the grill. that has calmed the highs quite a bit, so far, i can tolerate them now. so i gave them another brief listening this morning and i still miss soundstage depth and layering. there is simply no difference between a songs fore- and background. width and imaging would be borderline ok, but the lack of depth is really annoying.

but:

the bass is sooo addicting. i cannot stop listening to it. never heard such a fundamental but controlled bass from any headphone. the rest of the spectrum is nothing special but not bad either, isolation is quite good, as is comfort. so maybe we two will become friends. 
the bass might be good enough to tolerate the downsides, although i am a serious soundstage lover. we will see, what happens, when the m100 arrive today. 

i will keep you updated.

Hm5 pads should help,   waiting for impressions.
in my case, when i got my S500 i came from using Fx40's .. you wont stand those things not for a minute!    hahaha.  talk about treble!!

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #4,508 of 8,352
Quote:
Front and or top mounted USB ports are notorious for having issues because they're not a direct connection to the motherboard but rather a header that connects to the motherboard via a cable.  The cable can cause issues with the signal and power quality. It's always best to use try the rear USB ports when an issue arises from a case mounted USB port.

"Front ports require extra cabling - from the mainboard to the connector in the case. Thus those cabling and additional connectors have impact on the signal quality (480 MBits/s require high frequency!) and power (every cable is like a resistor - some 0.1 Volts will left on the cable)"

Edit: I see wje beat me to the explanation :)

thanks guys, i use a desktop for work and had always used the front usb ports!

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #4,509 of 8,352
Any mod ideas for the headband? I tried putting on the Dt770 headband padding and it did make them more comfortable. The DT headband however is about 2 cm too short on each side so it doesn't look that great. Any other clip on headbands out there that could work? 

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #4,510 of 8,352
Jan 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #4,511 of 8,352
Nope, I've had the ELE plugged into the back from the start (I destroyed my front USB ports in a drunken Hulk Smash moment). I WILL say, however, that I did indeed find it exceptionally loud. Like, couldn't go past "10" on the volume slider loud. I wonder if there's something funky about my USB ports.

I do have it running into an old JVC (ha) cd player that I use to power my speakers and has a convenient headphone port and a volume knob.. Yeah, I recently went on an old-and-broken gear recycling spree. The cd player is from... '98, I believe. Anyway, I may well be double DAC-ing or double amping, but it sounds good to me, especially since the cd player has a bass boost function.

My issues with the sound is actually at 4hz, I checked my EQ today. To be honest, it's not just with the ELE, it just managed to enhance it to lobotomy levels. But I always find the highs of the S500 troublesome regardless of what I'm using. I have yet to try putting some felt between the pads and drivers, although I did, uh, cut up a sponge (jury-rigging for the win) to try tame it and it wasn't enough for me.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #4,512 of 8,352
Just an update.
I ended up getting the HM5 pads and the O rubber ring from ebay.

The HM5 pads are probably the most comfortable pads I have ever worn. They are so soft and comfy on the ears. I also find that my ears do not get sweaty. I can wear them for quite a long time and not get fatigue or pain.

The bad...
Since they are bigger than the stock pads and they aren't a perfect fit, the headphones don't look as good anymore because you can tell the pads aren't original. The O-ring keeps them in place now, but the O-ring is still too thin. If you are planning on getting the HM5s with the Oring from ebay, I would look for a thicker Oring. The one the members suggested is too thin imo.
The HM5 pad still can come off the Oring. It doesn't happen often and it's not like it comes off easily, but if the Oring was thicker by 2-3mm I think it would be better as well as reduce the excess. (Hard to explain, i'll try and post pics)

I might end up getting the ATH pleathers and trying those out. The headphones don't look as good with the HM5s on. That's just my opinion though. I have a feeling the ATH pleathers won't be as comfortable since the HM5 pads are so amazingly so. I'll probably make a decision in the next couple weeks.

I'll post pictures of the HM5 set so you can see what I mean. 

As you can see, even with the Oring, the HM5 pads are still pretty loose. Don't get me wrong, they are super comfy and the sound is amazing, but the look isn't very premium =/
Without the Orings, the HM5 pads will fall off for sure. The Oring keeps them on quite well, it's just they're too thin. So try to find a thicker one if you can, but the size diameter size is perfect, just the thickness should be increased.

Setup is stock pads with HM5's on top. No added padding or modding or stuffing.

So I might consider the ATH pleathers, not sure yet though.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #4,513 of 8,352
You'll probably find them more grippy if you stuff them a bit to make up for the bagginess of the pads. I personally sewed mine tighter. It doesn't look great, but as you astutely noted, the HM5s look pretty terrible on them anyway. I don't really mind because I'm not wearing mine in public, but I can understand the concern of wearing them around others.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4,514 of 8,352
after comparing them the whole day with the m100 i have to say, that the m100 might do some small things better (little more detail, better soundstage depth) i really started liking these little cheapos more and more and maybe i wil stay with them and send the m100s back. they do better in the sub bass area than the vmodas. not only in quantity but bass seems more realistic some how. last word not said yet, but... another thing is that the m100s are the most uncomfrtable cans i have ever worn. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4,515 of 8,352
Quote:

but:

i will keep you updated.

I think the correct size for the o-rings is 2 5/8" diameter 3/16" thickness but it sound like thicker than 3/16th" would be even better. Rumor has it that Napa Auto Parts carries tons of o-rings, I'm heading down there as soon as I get my HM5 pads and will let everyone know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back