The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #3,631 of 8,352
Quote:
Ya these pads are worth the money spent.. I am trying them with my ATh velours. IT opens up the sound even more so it seems. The ATH pleathers are not bad but I think I prefer the velours. Either way I think you guys will be impressed with what these pads does. Who don't want a full over ears version.. These pads are as easy as just throwing them on over your HA-S500 cups. I know guys be stitching a bit of the back end to close the pads. There are a bit of sound variances using different internal pads..So yes it is a pad over pad mod but overall these end up making your HA-S500 sound and feel like full sized cans. Amazing. lol. Just when I thought I got every bit of sound from my HA-S500. 

$17 for these pads? Completely worth it imo.

SOLD!

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3,632 of 8,352
Quote:
 Who don't want a full over ears version.. 

Actually, I don't...lol. The way they are now, no issues with my glasses. With most over ears, the glasses get in the way. So I sit still with my HFI-780's without my glasses on, but the S500's I can walk around or do anything with them.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,633 of 8,352
So... about to order some ath pleathers.

Pad rating top list anyone?

Just so I don't order the wrong ones lol

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,634 of 8,352
Very close to buying them. I really like the sound with the ath pleathers and the vents taped. You seem to both be suggesting that by adding the hm5 pads, the sound will not be degraded (but, you will get a better soundstage). Are you guys willing to promise me that lol?

One thing that is messing with my head right now is that I am also trying the Uptowns. They sound completely different from the S500's, but they sound good. They will not supplant my S500's, that's for sure, but I am enjoying the "over the ears" comfort and the mellower sound signature (and bigger soundstage) enough that for $50, I am considering keeping them to compliment the S500's (and use one or the other depending on my mood and the music). But, if the S500's + hm5 pads are similarly comfy (and the soundstage is increased) and the SQ is not decreased, then that makes the decision to keep the Uptowns a bit tougher. Then again, if the S500's + hm5 pads don't live up to the hype, then that would just be a wasted $20.

It certainly would be worth keeping both imo. The slightly darker highs and more lush mids of the uptown do indeed just give you two completely different sigs than the s500 even with the hm5 pads on there. You are going to benefit from better bass impact as well with the uptown's superb seal. S500 has more details while the uptown has other pluses and are less fatiguing for long listening imo.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,635 of 8,352
@ Archmedisdead Aha well then for you. I would keep well enough alone. Though I have to admit. These pads are the cushy style. Nothing stiff about them what so ever. They are like them Chicago deep dish pies. The insides of the cups are deep. Probably adds to the staging. I notice the sound is more expanded.. The sound channels completely through the ATH velours and now has channeling on these HM5 pads meaning.. They sound like a full sized cans than portable ones.

They are as comfy as the MDR-1R pads maybe a bit more so as they are thicker and just as cushy.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #3,638 of 8,352
Quote:

Ds.....you don't need any other pads under these to perform best!

Cute we need pics of your S500s with these pads ASAP!!!
triportsad.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #3,639 of 8,352
Quote:
How you get the pads to stay in place?

Used these 2 5/8" O rings fit into the groove where the stock pads fit......http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FASHION-RUBBER-RING-O-RING-BRACELET-3-16-CS-/140600476909
They may be available at a local hardware store as well, but I have these on both of my S500 and my S400....works great for keeping the HM5 pads in place!

I also did a cable upgrade on one of my S500, yet another level of great sound.....will this never end, JVC S500/S400 most moddable HP yet!

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3,641 of 8,352
They fit somewhat loose on there. Obviously they aren't made for the HA-S500. But with that Ring that was just posted by cute. I can understand how that would keep the pads in place. With the stock pads on there you can just fit the HM5 pads over them and they actually fit over all of it. How one figures out to actually have them in place more securely will require some trial and error. But I do know these pads are the closest thing to making the HA-S500 into a full on over the ear headphone without doing any type of driver transplant.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3,642 of 8,352
Quote:
They fit somewhat loose on there. Obviously they aren't made for the HA-S500. But with that Ring that was just posted by cute. I can understand how that would keep the pads in place. With the stock pads on there you can just fit the HM5 pads over them and they actually fit over all of it. How one figures out to actually have them in place more securely will require some trial and error. But I do know these pads are the closest thing to making the HA-S500 into a full on over the ear headphone without doing any type of driver transplant.

I've been preachin this for weeks....the O rings work, simple as that!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3,643 of 8,352
Quote:

Very close to buying them. I really like the sound with the ath pleathers and the vents taped. You seem to both be suggesting that by adding the hm5 pads, the sound will not be degraded (but, you will get a better soundstage). Are you guys willing to promise me that lol?

I haven't spent a lot of time listening to them yet.  I'm not hearing anything degraded.  Besides the more open sound, one noticeable improvement is quieting the irritating resonance I hear in certain mid frequencies, usually in female vocals when they sing loud or high, and fiddles/violins.  This is fatiguing for me, and I've seen a few others here mention this resonance issue.

You might think the sound would be thinner with the larger pads, or that you'd have to turn the volume up higher, neither is the case. 

The comfort is night and day.  I can have them on my ears now indefinitely with no discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back