The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #3,617 of 8,352
For guys that are wondering about the pic for cheapo gear sweepstakes. Yes we will have our first ever clip, HA-S500, HA-S400 event. Read link here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-21st-ha-s500-pic-for-cheapo-gear-day/3510#post_8928605 

Updated OP with link so guys can read. Since then I have opened it up to any source so more than just your clip. Will announce prizes very soon.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #3,618 of 8,352
Quote:
It's a 'phablet' 
wink.gif
 It's really lovely though, you need to have it in your hands to really appreciate it. The big 5.5" screen is awesome and great for watching videos on etc. The size really becomes second nature after a few hours. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Hi Gee. I did get to play with the Note 2 last weekend. First of all, I think the sound coming out of it is really sweet! But man, it's big! I have my SGS2 in a holster on my belt, and I pretty much need to be able to keep my phone there. How the heck do you carry around the Note? I have been interested in 7" tablets for a while, so I think that I will continue on down that road (and hopefully get one with a good audio chip) now that they are coming down in price.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #3,619 of 8,352
Quote:
Guys, new classic Trance mix has been released by my DJ friend and amazing producer - Pero.
Check it out here:
https://soundcloud.com/peroharddance/pero-timeless-euphoria-001
Sounds amazing on the S500s.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sounding great on my Uptowns, er, I mean S500's lol
darthsmile.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3,622 of 8,352
Quote:
Just got these.

Surprising. Lol These sound great using the ATH pleathers. underneath. Will try out a few others.

Full range, full sized HA-S500 over ear and comfy. Nice.

Cool! What are those monster pads? And how much does it change the sound?

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3,623 of 8,352
These pads belong to these.

HM5 pads. The genius of these pads are they fit almost perfectly over the HA-S500. I had no idea just how good these fit. They actually stay in place as well with no stitching. For the sound. I am getting a wider sound. They sound like a full sized version of the HA-S500. I have to keep testing but they sound really good. I am very much surprised. Now I can understand the guys that bought these pads..These sound every bit as dynamic as my new MDr-1R or my UE6000. Maybe even better with some different internal pad combos. Will try a few and report back.

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3,624 of 8,352
Quote:
These pads belong to these.

HM5 pads. The genius of these pads are they fit almost perfectly over the HA-S500. I had no idea just how good these fit. They actually stay in place as well with no stitching. For the sound. I am getting a wider sound. They sound like a full sized version of the HA-S500. I have to keep testing but they sound really good. I am very much surprised. Now I can understand the guys that bought these pads..These sound every bit as dynamic as my new MDr-1R or my UE6000. Maybe even better with some different internal pad combos. Will try a few and report back.

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Huh! And your ears don't touch the ath pads? Meaning, they are quite comfortable?

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3,625 of 8,352
My HM5 pads just arrived, too.  Cute packaging, surprised they even made it this far.  One end of the box was literally open, covered only by one layer of packing tape with gaps in it. So you could stick your finger right into the box...  Heh. 

Yes, they fit right over the smaller pads, over the whole ear-cup.  The fit on S400's seems a little tighter, S500's looser, may need to do something long-term so they don't fall off easily.

Sound is great.  Similar to whatever pads you've got underneath (stock=more bass, pleathers=less bass), but with better soundstage, less fatiguing to my ears, and oh so comfortable.

Edited to add that the pads underneath don't touch the ear, at least I feel nothing.  The HM5 pads have the same gauzy fabric in the middle as all the pads, and it covers the pads underneath. So even if there's a little bit of contact, the ear touches the soft fabric and not the plasticy pad underneath. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #3,626 of 8,352
These pads are bigger than both my MDr-1R and my UE6000. Amazing. full over ear HA-S500. Much comfy and even better sound. The only catch. That link I threw on here. You have to buy 2. As that is the price for just one..Very comfy. This is by far the best Pad mod. The HA-S500 keep on giving.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3,627 of 8,352
Quote:

Sound is great.  Similar to whatever pads you've got underneath (stock=more bass, pleathers=less bass), but with better soundstage, less fatiguing to my ears, and oh so comfortable.

Quote:
These pads are bigger than both my MDr-1R and my UE6000. Amazing. full over ear HA-S500. Much comfy and even better sound. The only catch. That link I threw on here. You have to buy 2. As that is the price for just one..Very comfy. This is by far the best Pad mod. The HA-S500 keep on giving.

Very close to buying them. I really like the sound with the ath pleathers and the vents taped. You seem to both be suggesting that by adding the hm5 pads, the sound will not be degraded (but, you will get a better soundstage). Are you guys willing to promise me that lol?

<ramble> One thing that is messing with my head right now is that I am also trying the Uptowns. They sound completely different from the S500's, but they sound good. They will not supplant my S500's, that's for sure, but I am enjoying the "over the ears" comfort and the mellower sound signature (and bigger soundstage) enough that for $50, I am considering keeping them to compliment the S500's (and use one or the other depending on my mood and the music). But, if the S500's + hm5 pads are similarly comfy (and the soundstage is increased) and the SQ is not decreased, then that makes the decision to keep the Uptowns a bit tougher. Then again, if the S500's + hm5 pads don't live up to the hype, then that would just be a wasted $20. </ramble>

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #3,628 of 8,352
Quote:

Very close to buying them. I really like the sound with the ath pleathers and the vents taped. You are suggesting that by adding the hm5 pads, the sound will not be degraded (but, you will get a better soundstage). Are you willing to promise me that lol?

<ramble> One thing that is messing with my head right now is that I am also trying the Uptowns. They sound completely different from the S500's, but they sound good. They will not supplant my S500's, that's for sure, but I am enjoying the "over the ears" comfort and the mellower sound signature (and bigger soundstage) enough that for $50, I am considering keeping them to compliment the S500's (and use one or the other depending on my mood and the music). But, if the S500's + hm5 pads are similarly comfy (and the soundstage is increased) and the SQ is not decreased, then that makes the decision to keep the Uptowns a bit tougher. Then again, if the S500's + hm5 pads don't live up to the hype, then that would just be a wasted $20. </ramble>

We should try out the HM5 pads Wayne.  I'll do it if you do. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for the Philips.  They are doing something right these days.  I really like the L1 and find the X1 to be one of the best open headphones I've heard.  I found the Metro for cheap one day and purchased it but didn't really care for that one so I gave it to my roommate.  I think the Uptown and Downtown are suppose to be quite good.  

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3,630 of 8,352
Ya these pads are worth the money spent.. I am trying them with my ATh velours. IT opens up the sound even more so it seems. The ATH pleathers are not bad but I think I prefer the velours. Either way I think you guys will be impressed with what these pads does. Who don't want a full over ears version.. These pads are as easy as just throwing them on over your HA-S500 cups. I know guys be stitching a bit of the back end to close the pads. There are a bit of sound variances using different internal pads..So yes it is a pad over pad mod but overall these end up making your HA-S500 sound and feel like full sized cans. Amazing. lol. Just when I thought I got every bit of sound from my HA-S500. 

$17 for these pads? Completely worth it imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back