The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #3,601 of 8,352
Quote:
Well, just pulled the trigger myself on a pair of these s500's, after weeks of reading the thread.  Hard to purchase due to the looks the person-who-wears-the-pants-in-the-family gave me.  Had to sell some gear before I could purchase. 
I also have a pair of Brainwavz hm5's, and they came with an extra set of pads.  Now, if only Cute could explain HOW they got these on, I would be a happy man.  While I still have not received them in the mail, I find it hard to believe that the hm5 pads can fit on the s500's......

There you go dood, Ds OP page with all the mod links etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/2115#post_8763449

Not sure if this is what cute did since he hasn't given us any pics of his godly mod yet. But it should be similar. C'mon cute don't pull a mochill on us and say no camera all the time. LMAO Pics or it didn't happen!!!

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,602 of 8,352
You guys want to see what I have on order? It is my opinion but I think everyone should have at least one open can. I have recently discovered just how much I like an open airy sound. For the price of these cans I could have gotten the new 53mm Solid bass  WS99. Which I still might later on. But instead I opted for these.

Audio Technica masters of their craft offer headphones that don't cost as much as so many others yet bring a sound that rises way above their price points. The A900X if you guys don't know is simply one of my all time favorite closed cans. To my surprise when checking out Amazon Japan. What did I see that had me throwing it in my check out box.? This little headphone here. The price on this thing was so great I had to get it to try out. These are the new AD900X. Basically the open version of my beloved A900X closed headphones..I know you guys are all fans of the HA-S500 for good reason. The way I feel they deserve the praise of every single person that wrote on this thread..But there will always be other headphones.. I never understood how guys would sell off their former favorites for a newer headphone. Unless it is that much of an upgrade of course. But for me I keep the stuff I enjoy. My enjoyment on a phone does not change after I get others. I may not use it as much but enjoyment in the sound is always the same no matter what. As many cans and earphones as I own. The HA-S500 always will find a place in the rotation for me. I think something as versatile as the HA-S500 belongs in everyone's collection.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #3,603 of 8,352
Quote:
You guys want to see what I have on order? It is my opinion but I think everyone should have at least one open can. I have recently discovered just how much I like an open airy sound. For the price of these cans I could have gotten the new 53mm Solid bass  WS99. Which I still might later on. But instead I opted for these.

Audio Technica masters of their craft offer headphones that don't cost as much as so many others yet bring a sound that rises way above their price points. The A900X if you guys don't know is simply one of my all time favorite closed cans. To my surprise when checking out Amazon Japan. What did I see that had me throwing it in my check out box.? This little headphone here. The price on this thing was so great I had to get it to try out. These are the new AD900X. Basically the open version of my beloved A900X closed headphones..I know you guys are all fans of the HA-S500 for good reason. The way I feel they deserve the praise of every single person that wrote on this thread..But there will always be other headphones.. I never understood how guys would sell off their former favorites for a newer headphone. Unless it is that much of an upgrade of course. But for me I keep the stuff I enjoy. My enjoyment on a phone does not change after I get others. I may not use it as much but enjoyment in the sound is always the same no matter what. As many cans and earphones as I own. The HA-S500 always will find a place in the rotation for me. I think something as versatile as the HA-S500 belongs in everyone's collection.

I am guud, already got my cheapo semi open superluxes.  LoL Still need to get rid of them, not a big fan of big old headphones at all, but they were my 1st purchase of a serious headphone for music listening so.......  Sadly there was no WOW factor to them, despite all the positive reviews online that praises them. But they did teach me what bigger soundstage sounded like and what a more balanced sound was like, despite the sometimes harsh treble.
biggrin.gif
Then the FX40s destroyed/ ruined them for me, even in the HARSH treble department. LMAO Not to mention the S500s/ S400s/ FXD70/ MH1Cs i have now.
triportsad.gif
IT"S A SICKNESS!!! 
L3000.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3,604 of 8,352
Well, just pulled the trigger myself on a pair of these s500's, after weeks of reading the thread.  Hard to purchase due to the looks the person-who-wears-the-pants-in-the-family gave me.  Had to sell some gear before I could purchase. 
I also have a pair of Brainwavz hm5's, and they came with an extra set of pads.  Now, if only Cute could explain HOW they got these on, I would be a happy man.  While I still have not received them in the mail, I find it hard to believe that the hm5 pads can fit on the s500's......

My HM5 pads should be coming in a few days. Hopefully, I can get the mod to work since I haven't sewn anything since grade 9 home ec.
Really hoping for the best here.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #3,605 of 8,352
One of the more unique aspects of this hobby is just how we all figure out what we like and dislike about a sound. For me I have so many bass cans. I almost forgot about what it is like to have a balanced detailed sound. My recent Op amp rolling on my Dac Amps also played a part in my recent love of the open sound. A more detailed source and a closed phone does not do that level of sound justice. But then I will throw on my D2000 and love that deep sub bass again..Much like how there is a difference in a great bassy sound vs a cheap bassy sound. Open cans are the same way. I know how superluxs sound.. Those lack refinement in so many ways. One of these days you will have to hear a higher end open can just to hear the differences. I am one of those guys that enjoy the best aspects of sound in general. If it is bassy it better have quality to it. If it is open it better be airy and detailed with a big wide 3D stage..

Believe me I am a bass head. A bit too much. My cans tell me I am a bass head. If its got no bass it won't get play with me. So why an open can? It is nice to have a different sound once in a while. I do hope these AD900X have bass. Unlike the AD700 which I hated because of the almost no bass those have.. Call it a feeling I have but something about this one I had to try out. Of course just to counter it I ordered the CKS1000 at the same time. Lol. Can't stray too far from my roots.

Will announce all the prizes for the pic day soon so stay tuned.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3,606 of 8,352
Hmph...I sold my ad700 to get these.  Not sure if it was a wise decision, but they just did not have the right bass response for me.  And they were not as portable as I would have liked (although I have seen people wearing worse outside).  I hear great things about the ad900 series.  Much better bass response, but here in Australia they are twice the price of the ad700's. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3,607 of 8,352
Well in general the AD900 series are about double of the AD700s. Now if your talking about the HA-S500. Ya completely worth getting and much more proper to wear outdoors. I don't know about having that AD700 purple alien head huger on your head. I mean this thing is embarrassing to wear in doors let alone out.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #3,608 of 8,352
Quote:
One of the more unique aspects of this hobby is just how we all figure out what we like and dislike about a sound. For me I have so many bass cans. I almost forgot about what it is like to have a balanced detailed sound. My recent Op amp rolling on my Dac Amps also played a part in my recent love of the open sound. A more detailed source and a closed phone does not do that level of sound justice. But then I will throw on my D2000 and love that deep sub bass again..Much like how there is a difference in a great bassy sound vs a cheap bassy sound. Open cans are the same way. I know how superluxs sound.. Those lack refinement in so many ways. One of these days you will have to hear a higher end open can just to hear the differences. I am one of those guys that enjoy the best aspects of sound in general. If it is bassy it better have quality to it. If it is open it better be airy and detailed with a big wide 3D stage..

Believe me I am a bass head. A bit too much. My cans tell me I am a bass head. If its got no bass it won't get play with me. So why an open can? It is nice to have a different sound once in a while. I do hope these AD900X have bass. Unlike the AD700 which I hated because of the almost no bass those have.. Call it a feeling I have but something about this one I had to try out. Of course just to counter it I ordered the CKS1000 at the same time. Lol. Can't stray too far from my roots.

Will announce all the prizes for the pic day soon so stay tuned.

That's what I want to hear, loves my bass as well.  Totally understand to have a wider range of gear to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting but those $$$ open back cans takes a lot of other gear to just drive them properly and i am not trying to mess with all that. Just want to keep it simple and have the best sound i can get on the cheap. LoL Plus most of my music is hip hop anyways, maybe when i have a bigger collection of other genres of music that demand other forms of headphones, I will go the more "audiophile" route. but for now MY GOD THESE S500s kills.
beerchug.gif

HYPED!!!

The 21st can't come fast enough!

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #3,609 of 8,352
Well in general the AD900 series are about double of the AD700s. Now if your talking about the HA-S500. Ya completely worth getting and much more proper to wear outdoors. I don't know about having that AD700 purple alien head huger on your head. I mean this thing is embarrassing to wear in doors let alone out.

Gawd! Those are ugly lol

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #3,610 of 8,352
Quote:

Jokes aside, I've been splitting my time evenly between my S500 and my HFI-780. But after all, the 780 costs 3 or 4 times what the S500 costs....and I am keeping both of them.

Cheap hard carrying case for the S500.....Tupperware!

Normally when I go work I toss a Clip Zip and my Sennheiser PX90's in here....(they don't fold up like the PX100 so I wanted to protect them and their flimsy cables).
But today I thought to try putting the S500's in there, and sure enough they fit.
smile.gif
 So you guys might have something around the house already that will work as travel protection for the S500's. 

+1
happy_face1.gif
 ! 

It is small expenses like earpads and carying cases, etc, ...., ----,   etc ( ad nuseuam ) that are killing my walllet, much like the old post saying :

Take care of the ounces, pounds will take care of themselves !

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3,611 of 8,352
Guys, new classic Trance mix has been released by my DJ friend and amazing producer - Pero.

Check it out here:
https://soundcloud.com/peroharddance/pero-timeless-euphoria-001

Sounds amazing on the S500s. :D :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #3,615 of 8,352
Also, I've uploaded a guest mix I did for my friend's radio show couple of months ago. You can find it here:

https://soundcloud.com/liftedandreas

Enjoy blasting it through your S500s. :D

Regards.
Your resident Trance DJ. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back