I still have my S400, I'm still in the nanotube club

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #3,437 of 8,352
I'm NOT Doc!
I'll prove it...... [COLOR=FF0000]GO HEAT!!![/COLOR]

I still have my S400, I'm still in the nanotube club
Haha, okay, you're good, just can't be too careful 'round these parts. :p

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #3,439 of 8,352
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,441 of 8,352
I finally got my S500's after a total mess up with my package being delivered (Ordered on Oct 11 and I just got the package today...) And WOW these things sound amazing. I listen to EDM and all of the songs explode on these things. It's pretty unbelievable. I have two cons though: 1) After short use, my ears get warm/sweaty though they are not uncomfortable on the head. But, this seems to be the case with all headphones i've used 2) the cord length is a tad bit too short

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,442 of 8,352
Quote:
1) After short use, my ears get warm/sweaty though they are not uncomfortable on the head. But, this seems to be the case with all headphones i've used 2) the cord length is a tad bit too short

1) It took me a little over a week to get used to them (with the stock pads I still use.)

2) The cable was too short for me, so I bought a short extension cable. My other headphones have 3m cables which are too long.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,443 of 8,352

1) It took me a little over a week to get used to them (with the stock pads I still use.)

2) The cable was too short for me, so I bought a short extension cable. My other headphones have 3m cables which are too long.

I'm not sure if I actually need an extension cable yet. I'll experiment a little bit first. But, good idea. This may be a stupid question, but you don't lose any sound performance by adding an extension cable do you? ie. if I bought a cheapo one off ebay will this suffice or should I get a higher end extension cable? Yeah, I should give it some times to adjust to them.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #3,444 of 8,352
BTW, in case anyone was curious about the isolation of the headphones. They aren't very good, at least in regards to EDM music. I have them plugged into my laptop and on only one volume bar you can hear very subtle noise leak.

I would not feel comfortable listening to music in the library with these headphones as I know I get super annoyed when people play their music too loud on their headphones and you can hear it. I'm sure if you went to a normal library where people are just casually reading and checking out books it will be fine. But, in post-secondary area's where students are studying and it is relatively quiet, I can see people getting annoyed.

Still great headphones though.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3,445 of 8,352
Just returned from Tokyo where I was able to back-to-back compare the S400 and the S500 at www.e-earphone.jp.  There is simply no contest - the S500 has better treble sparkle, better bass impact, and (slightly) better soundstage.  In-store, the price difference between the two was small, about $32US vs. $40US, so it was easy to go with the S500.  If you know anyone going to Tokyo, the HA-S500 has my pick as a the answer to "Want anything from Tokyo?".

Compared to other portables and IEMs discussed, I rate them pretty high as portables, not besting an MDR-ZX700 or -V6, especially in dynamic range, comfort, and soundstage, but certainly more enjoyable than the popular budget HD668b.  On the IEM side, they carry a similar signature to the HA-FX40s, but with slightly better soundstage, a bit more balance and clarity.  Again, not up to Sony's MH1C or XBA-3s, but very good indeed, especially for $40.  At the more like $60-$80 they are going for on amazon, there's some other competition.  I'm looking forward to comparing them with the CAL! some day since they're both in about the same class (compact street-looking closed cans).

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #3,446 of 8,352
Disclaimer: Shouldn't be posting this yet, cause i'm still in the so called honeymoon phase with these phones. Also; i'm kinda new to all of this, but i'm trying to share my experiences so far to see if they match some of yours. Learning experience, u know.. :)

From what I feel, they have decent instrumental separation, even with the stock pads, also, soundstage ain't that bad. Off course, it isn't an open phone, but soundstage is better than i.e. my aiaiai TMA-1 closed phone, that's for sure.   

My overal experience so far with these cans (few hours listening): I seem to have trouble putting these cans down. They sound fun, real sparkly. I have the ATH pleathers lying around aswell, but haven't even used them yet. Granted, the cans are probably still burning in, but they amazed me out of the box. Def. value for money.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #3,447 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm not sure if I actually need an extension cable yet. I'll experiment a little bit first. But, good idea. This may be a stupid question, but you don't lose any sound performance by adding an extension cable do you? ie. if I bought a cheapo one off ebay will this suffice or should I get a higher end extension cable? Yeah, I should give it some times to adjust to them.

I read many years ago, in an audiophile magazine, that you'll lose about 1.5dB of volume with each mechanical connection, a very small amount.

I only buy inexpensive cables and connectors, some generic and some discounted name brands, mostly from Amazon. The advantage of Amazon is the user reviews. Some of the generics for sale there are unreliable junk. I never spend a penny more than I need to spend: no silver cables, no braiding, no nothing. Reliability, convenience, and suitability are the only things that matter.

I use or have used these with the Beyerdynamic DT 990, Beyerdynamic T70, Sennheiser HD-650, and the JVC S500 with no perceptible degradation in sound quality.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #3,449 of 8,352
Hey guys, just been a/bing with the sony mh1c and I must say the sonys sound awesome compared to the s500 with stock pads. I havent listened to the sonys in a while as Ive been listening to the s500's. The sony's have much clearer, cleaner detail and now i notice the sony's are very bass heavy but have a nicer bass quantity and quality over the s500's. I have about 40 hours on the s500's so they are not near the 200 hour burn in period recommended. Do the ath pleather pads change the sound dramatically compared to the stock s500's? 

The AKG pads completely opened up the mids and highs. More details up and down. A surprising difference. But like the ATH pads a loss of bass. Taping the ports PLUS padding the pads put these cans beyond bass head levels while still remaining balanced. my modded S500s put every hp I own into early retirement. The CKS77s are no match for the sheer power of the S500s. I'm surprised to see so many people so wishy washy over these. For just $50 you can have a HP that will sound as awesome as a set costing up to 10x more. You couldn't find performance like this before these came out at this price point. Period.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #3,450 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey guys, just been a/bing with the sony mh1c and I must say the sonys sound awesome compared to the s500 with stock pads. I havent listened to the sonys in a while as Ive been listening to the s500's. The sony's have much clearer, cleaner detail and now i notice the sony's are very bass heavy but have a nicer bass quantity and quality over the s500's. I have about 40 hours on the s500's so they are not near the 200 hour burn in period recommended. Do the ath pleather pads change the sound dramatically compared to the stock s500's? 

Sorry for my noob-ness, but what do you mean with a/bing? I see that term more often on the forums, but have no idea what's meant by it.. Could be because English isn't my native language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back