The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #3,286 of 8,352
thats mighty lot of posting...
i myself will get to taste the s400. hopefully will do the trick as long as i keep myself from the s500.

Interestingly, and I believe someone pointed this out before, I can increase bass, punch, and overall listening pleasure by just pushing in on the headband just above the ears (creating a greater clamping force, I suppose, something I usually don't like comfort-wise). This could be a head and/or ear size/shape issue as much as a materials/build issue...

maybe the HM5 would do the trick, get them to cup the ear instead should keep from leaking punch.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #3,287 of 8,352
JVC certainly does use Carbon Nano Tube also for marketing - proudly and justly so. Butt it is NOT just a snake oil term//buzzword  used in order to sell better - CNT used for the diahragm in HA-S500 is a genuine technological braktrough, one that would cost you dearly in the not so distant past. Let's simply be grateful JVC decided not to put an exhorbitant price tag on it ( they could have chosen to do so and still get away with it, given the SQ ) and - enjoy.

I do not see HA-S500 as competition for rivals priced 2-3 times their price, but far higher. Despite all teething troubles - just look at the earpad blues going on like forever on this thread -  that driver is simply unheard of at the price and can hold its own practically against anything, regardless of price.  Will see/hear what this driver can do in the new HA-S770s - can't wait.
+1

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3,289 of 8,352
So as it stands at the moment you guys recommend ATH pleathers over the HD25 and stock pads?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #3,290 of 8,352
which one should i get regarding to comfort issues? hd 25 velour or hd 25 blue pleather?

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hmd-25/hd25-earpads-velour-1-pair--velour--plush-knitted-fabric.html

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hd-25-originals-adidas/hd25-adidas-blue-circular-earpad-pair.html

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #3,291 of 8,352
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,293 of 8,352
Alright so, I can get the jvc s500s for around $67 and the s400s for about $27ish so which one do you think would be more worth the money... If possible can someone comare these to the ad700s and CAL! (I know they're really different headphones xD)
oh and also would they complement the m100s to anoyone who has tried them?

Thanks, Darknet

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3,294 of 8,352
Velours might be more comfy but according to some owners here they also might muffle the sound a bit as well.

They are more comfy. They do not muffle the sound at all it is quite the opposite. All of the midbass the S500 has pretty much evaporates which is nice if you are trying to lessen it but it also makes everyhing thinner overall and to my ears quite fatiguing and painful in the highs. I couldn't use the velour pads for longer than a few mins before I changed them out. There were a couple guys who liked them and they may be fine for low volume listening.

thank you geko95gek

i bought blue pleathers since they are cheaper and at least, must be more comfortable than the jvc stock pads.

They don't necessarily add to the comfort but they do tame the bass and highs and present more midrange than any of the other pads I tried on these headphones.

Alright so, I can get the jvc s500s for around $67 and the s400s for about $27ish so which one do you think would be more worth the money... If possible can someone comare these to the ad700s and CAL! (I know they're really different headphones xD)
oh and also would they complement the m100s to anoyone who has tried them?

Thanks, Dakrnet

Get the S500. It is a clear choice over the 400 unless you want a more laid back sound experience. The 400 did not sound good to me with stock pads. But once I changed them with the AT pleather pads that get talked about on here they sounded quite enjoyable. Smoother highs but less detail.

Don't have the cal but pretty much everyone on here who does say the S500 is superior in sound. Dont have ad700.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3,295 of 8,352
Quote:
Velours might be more comfy but according to some owners here they also might muffle the sound a bit as well.

The HD25 velours for me muffled the highs slightly and also lessened the bass a little bit too. Come summertime I might put them back on and correct for that with EQ, to cut down on sweaty ears.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #3,296 of 8,352
The HD25 velours for me muffled the highs slightly and also lessened the bass a little bit too. Come summertime I might put them back on and correct for that with EQ, to cut down on sweaty ears.

Damn I keep doing that... no yes I am talking about the AT velour pads. Those are the ones that are ear piercing to me. Agreed the HD25 velour does muffle. My HD25 velours were actually aftermarket ones and I attempted to stretch the inner diameter (the did stretch a bit) to deal with that issue.

Sorry all these friggin pads! Hard to keep up :D

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #3,297 of 8,352
So after being recommended these, I might as well ask a few questions about these headphones right? :)
I currently own a pair of HD205s, their common issues are the lack of bass and the lack of comfort. In fact, my ears will hurt after about 15-30 minutes of wearing them, which is annoying since I tend to wear them for 3-4 hours sometimes. People here have been talking about mediocre/bad comfort, would I be gaining on this? How bad is it? I'd prefer not to buy another set of headphones just to be facing ear-pain again.
The lack of a good bass some describe would also probably annoy me, but some seem to have modded their way out of this problem. How hard is this to do if I find it does have too little bass for me?
Do I buy the Z or the B? I'm assuming from the links posted here it is the Z I want.
Last, but not least, would there be any fakes on eBay? I saw a few $50 ones, which seem okay, but I don't want to end up with fakes (over cautious with eBay, sorry). I have tried searching, but couldn't find much. Sorry.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #3,298 of 8,352
So after being recommended these, I might as well ask a few questions about these headphones right? :)
I currently own a pair of HD205s, their common issues are the lack of bass and the lack of comfort. In fact, my ears will hurt after about 15-30 minutes of wearing them, which is annoying since I tend to wear them for 3-4 hours sometimes. People here have been talking about mediocre/bad comfort, would I be gaining on this? How bad is it? I'd prefer not to buy another set of headphones just to be facing ear-pain again.
The lack of a good bass some describe would also probably annoy me, but some seem to have modded their way out of this problem. How hard is this to do if I find it does have too little bass for me?
Do I buy the Z or the B? I'm assuming from the links posted here it is the Z I want.
Last, but not least, would there be any fakes on eBay? I saw a few $50 ones, which seem okay, but I don't want to end up with fakes (over cautious with eBay, sorry). I have tried searching, but couldn't find much. Sorry.

First of all you should have searched for the specs of both those HDs and compared the weight. That would give you a giant clue to how comfortable they would be.

Not sure about bass as I haven't received mine yet.

Z or B are simply colour variants, Z - metallic and B - black. It's your choice in the end.

There are no fakes to me knowledge, these HPs are too new to fake. Plus, whats the point of faking them exactly?? It's a $50 headphone.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #3,299 of 8,352
First of all you should have searched for the specs of both those HDs and compared the weight. That would give you a giant clue to how comfortable they would be.
Not sure about bass as I haven't received mine yet.
Z or B are simply colour variants, Z - metallic and B - black. It's your choice in the end.
There are no fakes to me knowledge, these HPs are too new to fake. Plus, whats the point of faking them exactly?? It's a $50 headphone.

Weight would've indeed been a good thing to search, forgot about that, but it's definitely not the only factor. I'm trying to hear from people how comfortable they are for a few hours of usage, an x amount of kgs can give an impression, but doesn't tell you that. Could've probably searched that more. Never noticed they were just colour variants, thanks! I know faking it sounds ridiculous, but I can admit that's just lack of confidence in eBay sellers. Thanks for your answers though!

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #3,300 of 8,352
Well, since webshops have been seling fakes of 20 dollar fiio e5/e6 amps, i'm not suprised with anything anymore. :wink:

from what i've read, clamping is not that harsh on these as on some sennheisers. As a matter of fact, i've read that some people wish they would clamp some more for better bass.. :)  Guess it also somewhat depend on the pads you're going to use.

As i stated, it's what i've read, since mine still aren't in. :p Waiting sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back