The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2,836 of 8,352
Quote:
The only thing the HTF600 has on these are sound stage and perhaps the bass end but these have the better quality bass end. These are in a different class altogether in sound quality. These would be a nice upgrade for you for certain. Much higher end resolution on the sounds. Worth the jump in price.

I see, but do these JVC's still have a good soundstage (even though they are smaller than the HTF-600's) or are they intimate, in your head?

And these have better clarity than the Pana's?

I actually just got the Pana's, less than a week, but i'm already researching head fi threads for my next headphone. I was looking at the HD-598, Beyer DT770, ATH-M50 and today I saw this thread. These JVC's are obviously  around 4 times cheaper, but sometimes it's more fun to get bang for buck headphones.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #2,837 of 8,352
They aren't stage monsters but they do a good job with sound stage. Much better than the M50 for example.. These can pick off details the HTF600 can't..Using the right pads these can transform to different sound signatures too which is amazing given the fact that it is all from one can. Carbon Nanotube is something new on cans and I can tell you these will punch way above their price point. I am sure the others you mentioned will sound fine to great for your needs but. I am also willing to bet you these will impress..

This thread has daily posts of guys throwing different pad configurations to change their sound characteristics,  but for me I use an ATH pleather pads that come with ATH portable headphones and it balanced the sound perfectly.. These will be fun for you in the best way possible. The sheer enjoyment I get out of this headphone is nothing short of amazing.  Many guys that end up trying one. End up being huge fans. If not all the guys. I have not heard one negative impression yet. Well the fact that they are on ears but minus that it is pretty much unanimous..Which is a first for a headphone I believe.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #2,839 of 8,352
Quote:
They aren't stage monsters but they do a good job with sound stage. Much better than the M50 for example.. These can pick off details the HTF600 can't..Using the right pads these can transform to different sound signatures too which is amazing given the fact that it is all from one can. Carbon Nanotube is something new on cans and I can tell you these will punch way above their price point. I am sure the others you mentioned will sound fine to great for your needs but. I am also willing to bet you these will impress..

This thread has daily posts of guys throwing different pad configurations to change their sound characteristics,  but for me I use an ATH pleather pads that come with ATH portable headphones and it balanced the sound perfectly.. These will be fun for you in the best way possible. The sheer enjoyment I get out of this headphone is nothing short of amazing.  Many guys that end up trying one. End up being huge fans. If not all the guys. I have not heard one negative impression yet. Well the fact that they are on ears but minus that it is pretty much unanimous..Which is a first for a headphone I believe.

Except the soundstage, they sound good. Well, they are closed headphones, right? So it makes sense they can't beat the HTF-600 in that department, but if the bass and clarity is better than that's already amazing. I'll keep researching the different headphones, but I definitely have these on my radar. Thanks.

Edit: These also have better build quality from the sounds of it compared to the Pana's, while good looking they are quite flimsy. Just saw a red version of the JVC's  (red ring, not entirely red), damn, they look so nice, but unfortunately, no Ebay sellers are selling them :frowning2:

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,840 of 8,352
Quote:
Could someone help me out here? *Bit of a newb * Was a about to pull the trigger on the S500s.... and then I stumbled on the S400s and saw all the rave about them too. Can anyone help advise me on which to get? I'll be using them just for music, and would prefer a fairly balanced sound. I'm also willing to do pad swaps etc to get the desired sound.
Help much appreciated.

I am in the same situation. The dealer in my country only carries S400 and if I jump on S500 would have to source them from Japan.
Anyone care to elaborate on how the two compares ?

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #2,841 of 8,352
I have both and I honestly dont know which I like better. The 400s are more balanced while the 500s are more dynamic. I often think the 500 has too much treble for me after I did the recommended pad change. I certainly love the dynamics of the 500s for movies more though. Music I might prefer the 400s its pretty close.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #2,843 of 8,352
Here's something you JVC HA-S500 fans might like to try. It's actually quite fun.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633360/test-your-ability-to-hear-pitch

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2,844 of 8,352
going to order these tomorrow!
all my audiophile equipment was stolen 
frown.gif

so im going to be using these temporarily until next year

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #2,845 of 8,352
going to order these tomorrow!
all my audiophile equipment was stolen :frowning2:
so im going to be using these temporarily until next year

Oh my gosh, that is horrible, hope you like your HA-S500's though :)

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2,846 of 8,352
I'm fairly new to these headphones, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.

In the big "headphone recommendation" thread, I was recommended these headphones for a future purchase (they will be for my brother as a Christmas gift).

How would these headphones fare for:
(in order of preference from what I've heard him play)
  1. J-pop (especially female vocals)
  1. Anime soundtrack (J-pop?)
  1. piano/instrumental
  2. some non-mainstream hip hop (Shing02 or Nujabes)
  3. some J-rock (The Pillows)

And these will be driven through an iPod Touch 2G and/or MacBook with some "meh" quality files (< 320 kbps).

Lastly, I've heard that the earpads are removable. In the case my brother doesn't like the stock earpads, where could I purchase a different set of earpads?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide! :)

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #2,847 of 8,352
Hmm, I'm not sure if you can get the fairly balanced sound signature of the S400 by modding the S500 since they both have very different driver diameters. (1cm is quite large when it comes to headphones)
What I can recommend you is, though I haven't experienced it, is to get the S500 and buy the Brainwavs HM5 pads. Both cyloh and cute loved the results, and cyloh described them as "ATH A2000X, some crazy space aged flagship. The HM5 S500 is 85%~90% there." this is through pm between me and him. With the pads you get the same sound signature but enhanced to a full sized can.

The ATH Pleathers also help tame down the bass if you don't like it to be too bassy. If all else fails and you cannot buy pads, just eq.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to think about which approach to take.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #2,848 of 8,352
My HA-S500 and HA-S400 finally arrived today :)

I am burning S500 first.

First impressions: No wow factor. Generally good headphones with good and effective bass response. I hope they gain some more clarity and separation by the time.

Bass is too much for my tastes... Although its not fair to compare, but I will prefer my Vsonic GR07 over them for now...

Will inform after burn-in...

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #2,849 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm fairly new to these headphones, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.

In the big "headphone recommendation" thread, I was recommended these headphones for a future purchase (they will be for my brother as a Christmas gift).

How would these headphones fare for:
(in order of preference from what I've heard him play)
  1. J-pop (especially female vocals)
  1. Anime soundtrack (J-pop?)
  1. piano/instrumental
  2. some non-mainstream hip hop (Shing02 or Nujabes)
  3. some J-rock (The Pillows)

And these will be driven through an iPod Touch 2G and/or MacBook with some "meh" quality files (< 320 kbps).

Lastly, I've heard that the earpads are removable. In the case my brother doesn't like the stock earpads, where could I purchase a different set of earpads?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide! :)

From my previous reply to a similar question:

Quote:
I just got these in the mail today. I ordered them exactly 2 weeks ago from an ebay seller called "buyfromjapan" i believe. As I've never had good headphones (never had any headphones to be more specific), I can't really compare them to much except my audio system at home which cost significantly more than these, but generally I really like the sound. The bass is nice and deep with a little help from my phone's bass booster, and even without it its not bad at all. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like its lacking something...it might just be that when I'm used to listening bassier songs that the ground vibrates under me because of my sub....wish I could could get that from headphones lol

I think my only real complaint is that they do get uncomfortable for me after about an 30 minutes or so of use, but then again I've literally never owned headphones before so maybe its just a getting used to kind of thing.

No it's not just you or just getting used to kind of thing, the stock pads are not so great to say the least, comfort AND sound wise. But there are lots of pad mods/ replacements that would make these sound a million times better.  The ATH Pleather/ AKG pads I believe makes these S500s as well as the S400s sound the best.  Links if you need it, the ATH Pleathers are the most comfy besides velours..........

ATH Pleathers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261120868931?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3123184649684698189%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251141456324%26

AKG DJs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3123209210757302410%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D261079367853%26

AND Doc's fav HD25's:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357361-REG/Sennheiser_075527_H_75527_Ear_Cushions.html

All 3 above sound the best it seems, although I have yet to try the ATH or the HD25.....

Oh bavman, go burn those new S500s of yours real good, a good 24hours makes a HUGE different in sound from open box, well for me at least it did...... cuz after some burn in, everything you felt lacking now is gonna come together, and esp if you get those ATH or AKG pads man these things sound amazing.

/quote.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the genres of music and source material, these S500s are not picky about the quality of the recording at all. It is not revealing, therefore all genres sound great on them, even old mixtapes of low quality sound really decent on them, as in older hip hop albums that are mastered poorly. I listen to a lot of the musical genres you listed but it is of the Korean variant, and these S500s make all of them shine. These are truly the jack-of-all-trades but it does it all beautifully.

Hey I have read some of your reviews and impressions on the V Moda M100 thread, and you seem like a pretty cool/ nice dood. One of the more level headed ones on that thread that's for sure. LMAO Maybe you can give as an A/B on these S500s vs. your V Moda M100s if you don't mind. That is after you give them some good burn-in and get a good set of pads on these S500s. Or stuff the stock pads with some paper towels, cuz this does wonders for the sound of the stock pads just a heads up. But I already know you'll been having a stuffing party over there at the m100 thread as well.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #2,850 of 8,352
Quote:

Except the soundstage, they sound good. Well, they are closed headphones, right? So it makes sense they can't beat the HTF-600 in that department, but if the bass and clarity is better than that's already amazing. I'll keep researching the different headphones, but I definitely have these on my radar. Thanks.

Edit: These also have better build quality from the sounds of it compared to the Pana's, while good looking they are quite flimsy. Just saw a red version of the JVC's  (red ring, not entirely red), damn, they look so nice, but unfortunately, no Ebay sellers are selling them :frowning2:

Hi there Tiger... i had the 600 a few days ago, sold them cause they where only ocupying (sp) space on my desk.  The S500 is much better, IMHO the Panas are like 7.5 points, the S500 8.5 points, easy.. they that much better.  Even the $30 bucks S400 is better than the Panas.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back