The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,921 of 8,352
Quote:
I thought they were pretty good. I'm looking forward to the 400. 

I mentioned in my email to them that I thought 500 was good and they should bring it in to the US. 

We'll see. 

I would love to be able to give them a message about how they should use a new PAD for these headphones. Just from changing out 5 different pad configurations. The pads from the ATH- SJ5 ends up making these sound even better. Almost too good to believe actually. The stock pads seems to work for the HA-S400 but the HA-S500 definitely benefit from wider pads. Thanks for your work Tyll. I have enjoyed so many of your reviews..The ultrasone edition 10 being the best. Perhaps the best video review I have ever seen. Check this out guys.

Thank goodness these HA-S500 don't make you cringe like this. Lol!. Love this.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,922 of 8,352
hahahaaa.. Tyll, you simply rule man!  love you reviews!!!

Stock pads are very bad man... even my Coby pads make them sound better.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,923 of 8,352
WoW can't wait to see innerfidelity's review of these S500/ S400s. Think it's gonna be epic, especially since Tyll is gonna review the m100s this month. We can finally get an idea of how these cheapo carbon nanotubes stack up to the new heavy hitters.  Can't wait!!!
popcorn.gif

Oh forgot to mention Tyll burn these suckas in REAL GOOD 1st before you do your measurements, please? Can I get an amen???

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,924 of 8,352
Quote:
can someone please could explain us that dont know nothing about these graphs what do they mean?  what i am getting is that its starts more or less "flat" then takes a dip once the mid highs starts.. thats good or bad?  i was looking to expensive phones that are ruler flat, the V modas has some similarity with the S500.. anyone care to explain more? what does those other graphs means? 

the mids are reccesed??  very reccesed?

thanks!

I'm not sure that anyone said mids are recessed?

The frequency response shows recessed areas and those of emphasis. In this case, compared to most FR's, they are average, probably above average. 

The 30Hz square wave is best for looking at bass and midrange performance. In this case the line is sagging which indicates a slightly loose bass response (ideal is a straight line), and declines a touch quickly which indicates a little lack of bass extension (ideal is a small downward slope).

The 300Hz square wave is best for looking at highs and mids. In this case it looks mostly nice (ideal is a straight horizontal line) it lacks any initial spike which would indicate somewhat lacking treble response. The hump towards the end would indicate midrange emphasis.

%THD+noise (harmonic distortion) looks pretty good, outstanding performers usually stick about to the .1% line, so the 1% low frequency distortion is undesirable.

More info on Square Wave Response at Innerfidelity.
Criticism of my interpretation is welcome!
Amen

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,925 of 8,352
Quote:
WoW can't wait to see innerfidelity's review of these S500/ S400s. Think it's gonna be epic, especially since Tyll is gonna review the m100s this month. We can finally get an idea of how these cheapo carbon nanotubes stack up to the new heavy hitters.  Can't wait!!!
popcorn.gif

Oh forgot to mention Tyll burn these suckas in REAL GOOD 1st before you do your measurements, please? Can I get an amen???

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,926 of 8,352
Quote:

because most of us are not using stock pads no more.  the bass is to much for must of us with stock pads.

Quote:

Stock pads are very bad man... even my Coby pads make them sound better.
bigsmile_face.gif

I had no problems whatsoever with the sound of the stock pads. My only issue was sweaty ears if I wore them for very long.......and that problem is solved by the lovely HD25 velours. 
L3000.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,930 of 8,352
I think it's gunna be fun to start the pad experiments all over again when we all get our 400's in... Who knows which one is gunna be most popular on those.....

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #1,932 of 8,352
I'm not sure that anyone said mids are recessed?

The frequency response shows recessed areas and those of emphasis. In this case, compared to most FR's, they are average, probably above average. 

The 30Hz square wave is best for looking at bass and midrange performance. In this case the line is sagging which indicates a slightly loose bass response (ideal is a straight line), and declines a touch quickly which indicates a little lack of bass extension (ideal is a small downward slope).

The 300Hz square wave is best for looking at highs and mids. In this case it looks mostly nice (ideal is a straight horizontal line) it lacks any initial spike which would indicate somewhat lacking treble response. The hump towards the end would indicate midrange emphasis.

%THD+noise (harmonic distortion) looks pretty good, outstanding performers usually stick about to the .1% line, so the 1% low frequency distortion is undesirable.

More info on Square Wave Response at Innerfidelity.
Criticism of my interpretation is welcome!
Amen

Thanks for the info man, two thumb ups:cool:

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #1,933 of 8,352

Will do the headband to the blue tonight and take some proper photos, but so far initial impressions are that these are ****ing amazing! I have Beyer Dynamic DT770 and UE triple.fi 10s too, and these seem to be bit tighter and more neutral around mids and highs as the dt770, but dont extend quite as low. Mid bass is damn impressive though for small headphones :) :) Very happy for £45, and they've only got ~10 hours on them so far too! The sennheiser adidas pleathers improved the sound nicely too :)

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #1,934 of 8,352
Man.. i am BUYING one of those addidas pads!!!

Come on Tom... stop overhyping these cheap phones you know, there are to many sensitive people on this board that cant handle the overhype.

Anyway,   Welcome to the SharkSquad.

Tom the Shark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back