The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,261 of 8,352
i should quit reading this thread....
its a threat to my retirementfund.

ok, just give it to me straight, s500 or s400...
i cant be reading 80 pages for 50bucks...:p

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,263 of 8,352
Quote:
Why not both?

Don't encourage him! 
beyersmile.png

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,264 of 8,352
ok, just give it to me straight, s500 or s400...
i cant be reading 80 pages for 50bucks...:p

Okay look. I have to say s500 with the PLEATHER (not velour) hd25 pads are just absolutely amazing.

Here I am trying not to believe in burn in but had to burn for about 35-40 hours anyway. I technically should be burning right now but I am listening to them as I type instead of my DT990s.

The crazy thing? Im running right out of my ipod... no amp... no eq setting... just cant take them off.

Now listen here dsnuts... I am not giong to shut up about these pleather pads unless you buy a pair yourself and try them. The difference is night and day in SQ, I can't think of a better combination. My velours aren't even here yet and Im pretty sure they are gunna just stay in a drawer.

So DS.... here... pull it :gun::gun: http://www.amazon.com/pads-SENNHEISER-HD25-1-Earpad-Cushions/dp/B008JEU3RE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347854436&sr=1-1&keywords=hd25+pads

If ya wanna be cool like doc...:cool: get the blue (I did a best offer and he accepted at 32 bucks) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-Official-HD25-1-ii-Adidas-Originals-Blue-Earpads-and-Headband-Pads-/251084581758?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item3a75ceab7e

Someone do it. you gotta hear this...

These things are just crazy. Im done burning for the moment..... loving these right now.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,265 of 8,352
Quote:

In a nutshell:

The S500 has a big but rather colored sound, the S400 is more neutral.
If I may use an analogy, the S500 is like listening to a multi speakers THX surround sound system and the S400 is like listening to a 2 speakers audiophile system.

The S500 has a bigger soundstage but the S400 has better tone separation.

I love the S500 for gaming/movies and the S400 for music.

Thank you Ghostfit. I am about to pull the trigger for S400's. But have some more questions.

I will mainly use JVC's for listening to music. But I really like wide soundstage and depth.

My main portable open headphones are recabled, 75ohm added and kramer moded KSC-35's (same driver as PortaPro's). I love their sound signature and soundstage.

Did you hear any KSC-35's or PortaPro's? Are one of these JVC's sound signature and soundstage any close to KSC-35's (or portapros)?

(BTW I have a pair of K81DJ pleather earpads resting inside their box which I may use with JVC's)

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #1,266 of 8,352
Howdy yall. So couple of things that could be helpful to someone.

1. My "zomo" brand velour HD25 pads came in this morning. See pic below. The holes are smaller even than the HD25 pleather. My immediate response when playing a track with lots of acoustic guitar is how great they sounded and how much the soundstage had expanded just as has been described on here. The volume difference was considerable to the HD25 pleather due to the velour absorbing more sound -- had to crank em up a bit more.

Then i was waiting to compare the bass... and waiting... and it never quite came. These really killed the full yet controlled bass that I had going with the HD 25 pads. The more i listened there was also a drop off in the mids.

The highs sounded detailed and nice at first but after listening for a while my ears were quite fatigued which is something i wasn't experiencing before. I realzied this was because some of the higher freq's were penetrating straight through and my having to turn up the volume to get more out of the low mids and lows due to the absorbtion of the velour caused strain from the highs on my ears.

So ive switched back to authentic HD25 Pleathers and I think Im gunna stay there although I still have the ATH velours to try out recommended by dsnuts when they come in the mail.

2. Another mod I am going to do, probably when I recable these, is switch the right and left. I want someone else to try this too and tell me how it affects sound for you, but I noticed that the stopper that prevents the cups from swiveling too far, actually causes a strange fit on my ears with more pressure on the back of my ear and a gap in the front. I have to put the headband behind the crown of my head (toward the back of my head) to get a proper seal which obviously makes them less secure on my head.

If you wear them backwards (left on right ear and right on left ear), the cups can rotate with the angle of your ears. Instead of putting all of the pressure toward the back of your ears they put pressure evenly on your cheek and ear creating a) a much better seal and b) better comfort. To my ears this better seal sounds better.

So I am pretty certain I am going to switch it or open it and remove the stop so they can swivel further.

Im bummed the HD25 velours didn't work for my ears cuz they are super comfy in comparrison.

56d0edde0c4097805bea3dc0c23f8ef2.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,267 of 8,352
Looking at that pic. The sound hole is way too small. My HD25 black velours are just like your original pads. They are official sennheiser replacement velours so they are just like your stock ones. I thought that is what you ended up getting but it looks like those are just dupes of the original velours with even a smaller sound hole. Let me ask you. Underneath the velours is it covered with pleather material? If not than those are definitely just knock offs. On closer inspection the sponge material that covers the drivers look like a different material. So it looks like what you are hearing from your particular HD25 velours is not what I am hearing from my set. Not the same pads actually.

This is what I mean The bottom pic is my HD25 velours. The bottom side is covered and not velour. I can only guess that those velours you got will distort the sounds more than anything. It isn't wide enough to let the full sound out while it has a thick velour material that cover and muffle some of the sounds and not others?

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,269 of 8,352
Looking at that pic. The sound hole is way too small. My HD25 black velours are just like your original pads. They are official sennheiser replacement velours so they are just like your stock ones. I thought that is what you ended up getting but it looks like those are just dupes of the original velours with even a smaller sound hole. Let me ask you. Underneath the velours is it covered with pleather material? If not than those are definitely just knock offs. On closer inspection the sponge material that covers the drivers look like a different material. So it looks like what you are hearing from your particular HD25 velours is not what I am hearing from my set. Not the same pads actually.

This is what I mean The bottom pic is my HD25 velours. The bottom side is covered and not velour. I can only guess that those velours you got will distort the sounds more than anything. It isn't wide enough to let the full sound out while it has a thick velour material that cover and muffle some of the sounds and not others?

Yes these are aftermarket and wow thats great the authentic sennheiser's have the pleather inside. That won't absorb all the sound like these ones. I had to have blue so tried these aftermarkets....didn't even come in the right blue color.

Well i ended up with a nice velour headband out of it I guess...
fef5298e21eb69ef22321dce81b057db.jpg

Ok I guess I'll have to order those authentic ones.. I wish they came in adidas blue but I could only find the pleather in adidas blue...

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,270 of 8,352
Quote:

While the holes in his pads do look strangely small, the sound holes of genuine Senn velours are indeed slightly smaller than the sound holes of the pleathers.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,271 of 8,352
While the holes in his pads do look strangely small, the sound holes of genuine Senn velours are indeed slightly smaller than the sound holes of the pleathers.

Weird on the size, but I just double checked and these aftermarkets actually DO have pleather on the insides of them. I just couldn't tell because the sound diffuser material is sewn in unlike the authentic ones so u cant see it but I can feel it with my finger. I wonder if I cut that out and used the authentic thicker diffuser if it would make any diff... hmmmmm....

Also might try streatching that hole size a bit too. we'll see.

BTW I did a mod to switch left and right for a better fit (without having to solder anything). I'll post it in a bit.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,272 of 8,352
tell me if you know this headphone is better than my Bose QC2?

is any difference between the jvc ha-s500-b and jvc ha-s500-z ?

thx !!!

Hey guys this dude is in brazil and I tried to convince him yesterday on another thread that the JVC is better than the bose he's asking about... He seems not to trust me :D

Can someone 'sides me tell this gentelman the score on the S500?

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,273 of 8,352
glunteer:

tell me if you know this headphone is better than my Bose QC2?

is any difference between the jvc ha-s500-b and jvc ha-s500-z ?

thx !!!

I would assume that these are better than the Bose QC2's but i can't be for sure because i haven't heard them. And no, the only difference between JVC HA-S500-B and JVC HA-S500-Z is the color of the earcups. B is black shiny ear cups and Z is Gunmetal Silver ear cups. I personally like the look of the gunmetal silver better.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,274 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey guys this dude is in brazil and I tried to convince him yesterday on another thread that the JVC is better than the bose he's asking about... He seems not to trust me
biggrin.gif

Can someone 'sides me tell this gentelman the score on the S500?

bose is nowhere in the same league. And I'm not just saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back