Sep 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #1,201 of 8,352
Quote:
Legion of DOOM!!!!

Or one of these?

beyersmile.png

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,205 of 8,352
Quote:
Thanks dsnuts and yes i did read earlier on that. Was looking for a direct sound comparrison cuz the hd25 was the on-ear i was looking at earlier but thanx to this thread it changed to the s500. Everything i have is either over ear or iem and hope i made a good choice for my only on-ear set.

Well here are my brief impressions with a moderately (<50hrs) burnt in S500:

Sub bass is more prominent in the S500 than the HD25.
Bass is slightly more prominent in the HD25, and is noticeably more refined.
Mids are slightly more balanced and slightly more prominent in the S500, with detail equal to (perhaps greater than) the HD25.
Treble in the S500 is more polite, with detail equal to (perhaps greater than) the HD25.
The HD25 isolates more effectively than the S500, if you're into that sort of thing.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,206 of 8,352
Lol. I miss the days when one can imagine there are brutes beating each other silly in the arena. Cus we all know it was real. Who needs MMA. When you got real fighting in WWE! These guys know nothing about roids. Nothing at all. You youngins know nothing about this. Yup those were the days. Lol! Back on topic.

I look forward to hear from some of you guys that ended up getting the Fire Phoenix. Wait till you guys hear your HA-S500 using the DAC. I am sure you guys will tell it like you hear it. I look forward to you guys impressions of just how it sounds to you. My DAC has gotten a good 40 hours of use and I swear they sound even better now. But it could just be in my head. It sounded amazing on open box. There is nothing that I play on this combo that is nothing short of ear candy in the truest form I am using the DAC to burn in my HA-S500 more so and my HA-S500 to burn in my DAC. Burn in is for real..

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,207 of 8,352
Legion of Doom now that brings back memories LOL. Best tag team of all time I think :) WHAAAAAT A RUUSSHHHH :)

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,208 of 8,352
Picked up my S500s from the post office today (they came in yesterday). I'm impressed! I got a pair of the Philips Downtowns a week ago when they were on clearance at Target for $30. After only a couple hours of burn in, the S500s sound much better than the Downtowns, and definitely beat them on build quality (the Downtowns are more comfortable though).

I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare in SQ with my Sony MDR-V6s once they break in. I think I might have a new contender here for my portable set 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,209 of 8,352
Do you think the Fire Phoenix 05 would be safe to buy? It seems to be an upgrade to the 02 in that it can drive 600 ohm headphones?

BTW, Dsnuts,

have you tried your Fire Phoenix 02 with your IEMs? How do they fair? Since the Fire Phoenix doesn't seem to have impediance switches, I'm worried that they might have too much power for IEMs at 300 and 600 ohms.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,210 of 8,352
Okay, so this thread is right on the money.

S500's out of the box are mediocre, run of the mill headphones. Definitely not special.

So like a good head-fier, I burned them in for about a week and they do transform completely like coming out of a cocoon or something. IMO, throw the stock ear pads in the garbage. They're terrible. Got the AT velours, an improvement, but also makes'em sound a little weird. My HD25 velours and the DJ pads Cute reco'd are in transit.

Surprise: Swapped in pads from the K81DJ's and they sound great! I bet they give the others a run for the money. The stock pads congest / muddy things up. The K81 pads are moderately loose fitting, allowing the S500's to breathe a little and open up. Nice balance. These phones are easily the best bang for the buck cans that I know of.

Comparisons on the iPhone with the E11 vs. the B&W P5: Unsurprisingly, the S500 is better overall. What was surprising was that when both were hooked up to my home amp, the P5 fell flat on its face and the S500 just took off. Definitely loves a good source and good clean power. After hearing the potential, I immediately ordered a new higher quality portable amp that hopefully will be here by Saturday. Will follow up then.

Compared with the ATH-M50 on portable and home rigs: I prefer the bass on the M50, but the rest of spectrum is more neutral and less fatiguing on the S500. Advantage S500.

Thanks people. More to come when I get the other pads and amp.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,211 of 8,352
Quote:
Okay, so this thread is right on the money.

S500's out of the box are mediocre, run of the mill headphones. Definitely not special.

So like a good head-fier, I burned them in for about a week and they do transform completely like coming out of a cocoon or something. IMO, throw the stock ear pads in the garbage. They're terrible. Got the AT velours, an improvement, but also makes'em sound a little weird. My HD25 velours and the DJ pads Cute reco'd are in transit.

Surprise: Swapped in pads from the K81DJ's and they sound great! I bet they give the others a run for the money. The stock pads congest / muddy things up. The K81 pads are moderately loose fitting, allowing the S500's to breathe a little and open up. Nice balance. These phones are easily the best bang for the buck cans that I know of.

Comparisons on the iPhone with the E11 vs. the B&W P5: Unsurprisingly, the S500 is better overall. What was surprising was that when both were hooked up to my home amp, the P5 fell flat on its face and the S500 just took off. Definitely loves a good source and good clean power. After hearing the potential, I immediately ordered a new higher quality portable amp that hopefully will be here by Saturday. Will follow up then.

Compared with the ATH-M50 on portable and home rigs: I prefer the bass on the M50, but the rest of spectrum is more neutral and less fatiguing on the S500. Advantage S500.

Thanks people. More to come when I get the other pads and amp.

geez.. i tought i was crazy for liking more the S500 than the M50... seems that i am not the only one.

A few things i am not liking at the moment:

1. i would like a little more of treble, but that it is a personal preference thing.
2. Outside cups, plastic cover (where the JVC logo is) is to fragile, they scratch easly and i am under the impresion that its gonna peel off.  i will try to use something to protect them from scratches.
3. i Need my Pads soon.. (everything is soo darn slow down here).  the stock pads are a PITA.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #1,212 of 8,352
Quote:
Picked up my S500s from the post office today (they came in yesterday). I'm impressed! I got a pair of the Philips Downtowns a week ago when they were on clearance at Target for $30. After only a couple hours of burn in, the S500s sound much better than the Downtowns, and definitely beat them on build quality (the Downtowns are more comfortable though).

I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare in SQ with my Sony MDR-V6s once they break in. I think I might have a new contender here for my portable set 
biggrin.gif

I actually found the Downtowns less comfortable. The foam was nice but they pressed on a different part of my ear, and it hurt after not very long. Even without the velours the S500s worked better for me, and in sound it was no contest.

Now the Uptowns, which I scored for that $40 deal, are definitely more comfortable! I'd like a set like that with the S500 sound!

BTW Dsnuts, it looks like my Fire Phoenix is traveling most of the way around the globe to get to me. Even though I'm close to LA, it went from Hong Kong to New York first. I hope I'm lucky and it comes by Saturday.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,214 of 8,352
Quote:
Do you think the Fire Phoenix 05 would be safe to buy? It seems to be an upgrade to the 02 in that it can drive 600 ohm headphones?

BTW, Dsnuts,

have you tried your Fire Phoenix 02 with your IEMs? How do they fair? Since the Fire Phoenix doesn't seem to have impediance switches, I'm worried that they might have too much power for IEMs at 300 and 600 ohms.

I got a message from Kiteki about the 05. Not and upgrade from the 02 is the word about them. And yes all my iems and headphones sound spectacular on my 02..Not only are you saving money but it performs very well with everything I have which is a big variety I have tried so far. Rest assured the 02 is the way to go. I know the DAC has much power but when is that a bad thing..So far the DAC has performed since day one minus the sound cutting out from the crap usb cable they threw in here. So it saves you some money to upgrade your usb cable or even get yourself a new HA-S500.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #1,215 of 8,352
I have 2 questions:
- do the earcups turn flat for storage?
- is it possible to use them in bed?  Obviously lying on one's side is impossible with headphones but lying on the back with head on pillow?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back