The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,216 of 8,352
Quote:
I have 2 questions:
- do the earcups turn flat for storage?
- is it possible to use them in bed?  Obviously lying on one's side is impossible with headphones but lying on the back with head on pillow?
Thanks.

in bed? mmm.. PITA for me, for bed i use IEM`s

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,217 of 8,352
Quote:
I got a message from Kiteki about the 05. Not and upgrade from the 02 is the word about them. And yes all my iems and headphones sound spectacular on my 02..Not only are you saving money but it performs very well with everything I have which is a big variety I have tried so far. Rest assured the 02 is the way to go. I know the DAC has much power but when is that a bad thing..So far the DAC has performed since day one minus the sound cutting out from the crap usb cable they threw in here. So it saves you some money to upgrade your usb cable or even get yourself a new HA-S500.

Ah Thanks, that helps a lot.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,218 of 8,352
Okay, so after enjoying nanotube fever, I ordered the S400’s which came today.

Surprise #1: They sounded unusually good out of the box.

Surprise #2: Comparing the S400 with the S500, both with K81DJ ear pads---------pause for effect:

The S400’s sounded better to me than the S500! That’s right, with no burn-in. Exceptional performance. The S400's have a wonderful neutral sound. The S500’s are a little artificially bright, significantly more so than the 400's. That doesn't mean that the 500's have anymore detail, because they don't. The 400's sound more realistic to me. I used my standard acoustic reference tracks on my home gear.

Bass seemed pretty much the same. I don't really hear the size difference. Hard to believe they are 30mm drivers. I didn’t really notice the brightness before, and didn’t want to be too critical at the S500’s price point, that was until today.

Add skepticism as needed, and more importantly, try them for yourself and enjoy.

Cheers!

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,219 of 8,352
Quote:

Surprise #2: Comparing the S400 with the S500, both with K81DJ ear pads---------pause for effect:

The S400’s sounded better to me than the S500! That’s right, with no burn-in. Exceptional performance. The S400's have a wonderful neutral sound. The S500’s are a little artificially bright, significantly more so than the 400's. That doesn't mean that the 500's have anymore detail, because they don't. The 400's sound more realistic to me. I used my standard acoustic reference tracks on my home gear.

Bass seemed pretty much the same. I don't really hear the size difference. Hard to believe they are 30mm drivers. I didn’t really notice the brightness before, and didn’t want to be too critical at the S500’s price point, that was until today.

Add skepticism as needed, and more importantly, try them for yourself and enjoy.

Cheers!

JVC take my wallet!

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,220 of 8,352
Quote:

Cheers!

You've echoed my exact sentiment here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-30mm-carbon-nanotubes/15

The S400 SQ will deteriorate as you burn them in around the 50hrs point but they will come back even better at 100hrs.

I have done 100hrs on my S400 and a sneak listen last nite reveals that the great sounds I heard on open box is back and much more sweeter. From memory, they are at if not better SQ level than my S500.

But memories can be deceptive, I will do a comparision with the S500 tonight and if the S400 really does sounds better, will stop the burning process for one of the pairs I've got, the second pair will continue burning to 150 - 200 hrs to see if there's any differences.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,221 of 8,352
Finally have my s500's. Weird cuz i experienced what ive seen a few people post: Not impressed...............at first that is. I tried them against my m50s. My first thot was - is dsnuts nuts? There is no way the jvc's are better. Then after listening for just an hour i started to change my mind already. Then i tried the hd25 pads on em (pleather).

I dont know what they did (better seal?, better foam diffuser material?, smaller opening does something?) but im really enjoying these right now as i type.

Dont wanna say too much too soon but i can say i already think i like em more than the m50. They have one thing the m50 doesnt have...... Its called midrange. Ill say more later and im looking forward to trying yall's burn in advice....

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,222 of 8,352
Got the S500s in today...and I was also one of the people impressed right out of the box.  Going to do burn in for around 30 hours, playing a house/trance playlist loud enough so I can hear them from my desk chair while they are on the floor (is this too loud?).  Just from the initial impressions I think I'm giving up my TF10s and both Grados I own.

All this is making me want to buy a pair of S400s "for my girlfriend".

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,223 of 8,352
Quote:
Got the S500s in today...and I was also one of the people impressed right out of the box.  Going to do burn in for around 30 hours, playing a house/trance playlist loud enough so I can hear them from my desk chair while they are on the floor (is this too loud?).  Just from the initial impressions I think I'm giving up my TF10s and both Grados I own.

All this is making me want to buy a pair of S400s "for my girlfriend".

Don't !!!   ...you might just ended up handing her your S500 instead
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,225 of 8,352
Quote:

You've echoed my exact sentiment here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-30mm-carbon-nanotubes/15

The S400 SQ will deteriorate as you burn them in around the 50hrs point but they will come back even better at 100hrs.

I have done 100hrs on my S400 and a sneak listen last nite reveals that the great sounds I heard on open box is back and much more sweeter. From memory, they are at if not better SQ level than my S500.

But memories can be deceptive, I will do a comparision with the S500 tonight and if the S400 really does sounds better, will stop the burning process for one of the pairs I've got, the second pair will continue burning to 150 - 200 hrs to see if there's any differences.

I have been eying two versions of these JVC's. I will be ordering either S500 or S400 after hearing your comparisons. Thanks for the input :) Waiting for your final comparison!

(Can you also compare the soundstage?)

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,228 of 8,352
Very interested to see your results!

Quote:

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,229 of 8,352
Dac shmac... Amp shmamp... These babies are hella efficient. Running them nicely direct outta my itouch 3rd right now. Half volume is almost too much for me. Like em better through my e11 but still no slouch unamped which is nice to know - adds to portability of these nicely foldable phones.

Saw lots on the hd25 velour. Has anyone else tried the hd25 pleather besides me... Im loving the sound over the stock. Really cleaned up the bass imo and somehow seemed to improve separation.
I have 2 questions:
- do the earcups turn flat for storage?
- is it possible to use them in bed?  Obviously lying on one's side is impossible with headphones but lying on the back with head on pillow?
Thanks.

No one answered u bud. Yes they fold flat. U have two basic options folding them flat or folding them up where the backs of the cups face each other (i wonder if this causes scratching of the anodized metal.)

I fell asleep wearing them just last night laying on my bed. Pillow did not push them forward like circumaural phones. Partially why i got em. My dt990s arent ideal for laying in bed.

P.s. my hd25 pads r blue. Looks pretty nifty on the all black s500.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,230 of 8,352
I keep turning up the volume when favorite songs come on, and I have to consciously remember to turn the volume back down...I don't want to be deaf after all.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back