The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 11, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,171 of 8,352
HOLY MACKEREL!!! Mind blown for the 2x time by these S500s. This is nuts yo.

With the rockboxed sansa clip+  settings as mentioned previously, these S500s now has the bass extension/ body of the FX101s but with the detail/ clarity of a bigger/ better more refined sound of FX40s (almost to the FXD70s level).  There is now more weight to the sound as compared to the thin/ lean tones coming from my ipods.  The basic EQs on ipods don't do much for the S500's sound cuz it's pretty limited but on my sansa clip +, WOW it's so much more full in sound without compromising the featured traits of these carbon nanotubes.  This is crazy synergy, finally my S500s sound like how I want all my music to sound. Every genre sounds so AMAZING my god, cuz everything sounds so fun and musical, dies from audio nirvana again.  
L3000.gif

/ spazzing.  

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #1,172 of 8,352
Quote:

Glad your perseverance paid off !
biggrin.gif
   ...you have experience what the believers among us have gone thru, so, so headphone out of box, muddy sounds below 100 hrs burning, but after that ...WOW !

As DSnut has said, these JVC absolutely NEEDS aggressive burning before they'll perform.
I'll take any reviews of JVC Carbon Nano Tube iems or headphone that has less than 100 hrs of burn-in as a joke.
wink_face.gif

Both my wallet and perseverance have been paying off!

And I still have to buy the FXT90 and the FXD80!

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,173 of 8,352
Quote:
Both my wallet and perseverance have been paying off!

And I still have to buy the FXT90 and the FXD80!

LOL,   ...yeah, DSnut is killing me (wallet) with his latest Fire Phoenix DAC amp recommendation.
So if your's hurts, he's the one to blame !
biggrin.gif

The FXD80 belongs to the "must have" category if you're a fan of this new CNT technology, the FXT90 can wait I guess.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,174 of 8,352
Quote:
LOL,   ...yeah, DSnut is killing me (wallet) with his latest Fire Phoenix DAC amp recommendation.
So if your's hurts, he's the one to blame !
biggrin.gif

The FXD80 belongs to the "must have" category if you're a fan of this new CNT technology, the FXT90 can wait I guess.

Yeah forgot the Phoenix as I have to place an order for that too!

(Wallet runs away at this point)

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #1,175 of 8,352
If you purchased through ace_of_bicycle2004, did you get tracking information?  I got an email update that my headphones were marked as shipped on Sept 9, but there is still no tracking info.  And it looks like ace_of_bicycle2004 is now away on vacation.... the wait is killing me! 

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,176 of 8,352
Quote:
HOLY MACKEREL!!! Mind blown for the 2x time by these S500s. This is nuts yo.

With the rockboxed sansa clip+  settings as mentioned previously, these S500s now has the bass extension/ body of the FX101s but with the detail/ clarity of a bigger/ better more refined sound of FX40s (almost to the FXD70s level).  There is now more weight to the sound as compared to the thin/ lean tones coming from my ipods.  The basic EQs on ipods don't do much for the S500's sound cuz it's pretty limited but on my sansa clip +, WOW it's so much more full in sound without compromising the featured traits of these carbon nanotubes.  This is crazy synergy, finally my S500s sound like how I want all my music to sound. Every genre sounds so AMAZING my god, cuz everything sounds so fun and musical, dies from audio nirvana again.  
L3000.gif

/ spazzing.  

i am almost there.

Tried the Fiio e11, but iam waiting for my Lod cable to arrive, so the only function it has is boosting some bass.
As for now, my settings are:

Ipad:   Trebel Boost
Fiio e11:   Eq setting 1
No Lod Cable.

Tried the ipod shuffle, but no. its now working, not the same.

I have a problem with my sansa Clip+,   mines has version v.01.02.17A.. downloaded the Rockbox instaler but i am recieving a message that it doesnt work with my version.

But as for the moment,  the sound has improved with these setting,  i am enjoying my S500 much more,  the good thing is that they respond well to EQ,  any other headphone using treble boost would be a complete mess, but these keeps there compusture and sound great.

Details.. details..details.. clarity . clarity. the bass is there, not overwhelming, just tight , fast.

if i can get more highs it would be better.  but i am very happy right now.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #1,178 of 8,352
Quote:
If you purchased through ace_of_bicycle2004, did you get tracking information?  I got an email update that my headphones were marked as shipped on Sept 9, but there is still no tracking info.  And it looks like ace_of_bicycle2004 is now away on vacation.... the wait is killing me! 

Go to my ebay. Look for the listing for your purchase, and there should be a tracking number with the listing on the left side. Click it, and it will display the status. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,179 of 8,352
Quote:
Dsnuts, have u used the senn hd25-1 ii much? How do these compare in sound?

Sorry no Senn HD25. But I do use the velours from them on the HA-S500..Which gives off some of their sound characteristics. Bigger bass, more forward mids. Relaxed sparkle..I don't know if you read earlier but I have 2 sets of velour pads I use for these headphones. The HD25 velours and the ATH velours.. The HD25 is closer to the stock sound that is on the stock pads but the ATH velours change the sound completely.. Guys that love their forward mids with bigger bass the HD25 velours. Guys that want their mids wide and less bass and even more sparkle in the highs the ATH velours. 

Out of the 2 The ATH velours make these sound more akin to higher end semi open type sound as there is more emphasis on the highs and widens the mid section with less on the bass end.  ATH velours also give a wider sound because I noticed the sound from the driver emits completely through the velours. The HD25 velours the sound is channeled to the smaller sound opening as it has a solid bottom end. This is what I mean. Look at this pic. 2 velours yet it changes the sound completely.

So just by changing out pads you get 2 completely different sound signatures.. The HD25 velours for fun the ATH velours for more critical listening.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,180 of 8,352
Quote:

i am almost there.

Tried the Fiio e11, but iam waiting for my Lod cable to arrive, so the only function it has is boosting some bass.
As for now, my settings are:

Ipad:   Trebel Boost
Fiio e11:   Eq setting 1
No Lod Cable.

Tried the ipod shuffle, but no. its now working, not the same.

I have a problem with my sansa Clip+,   mines has version v.01.02.17A.. downloaded the Rockbox instaler but i am recieving a message that it doesnt work with my version.

But as for the moment,  the sound has improved with these setting,  i am enjoying my S500 much more,  the good thing is that they respond well to EQ,  any other headphone using treble boost would be a complete mess, but these keeps there compusture and sound great.

Details.. details..details.. clarity . clarity. the bass is there, not overwhelming, just tight , fast.

if i can get more highs it would be better.  but i am very happy right now.

Yeah the EQ setting on my ipod classic/ nano sucks, and trebel boost makes it sound thin with good details but little bass. 

If you have a clip+ it should work no matter the version, but make sure you get original Firmware from Sansa's site 1st. I remember I have to do this in order to be able to rockbox my clip+ because I did manual install or something, forgot it's been a while ha. 

"
Installing the bootloader
In order to install the bootloader, you will need to download the following files:
  1. An original firmware (OF) from http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/Sansa-Clip-Firmware-01-01-35-amp-02-01-35-Release/td-p/144965
  2. The bootloader: http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/sandisk-sansa/clip/bootloader-clip.sansa
  3. The version of mkamsboot for your operating system from http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/sandisk-sansa/mkamsboot/
"
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclip/rockbox-buildch2.html

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Sansa-Clip-Firmware-01-01-35-amp-02-01-35-Release/td-p/144965

You should be good to go if you follow these instructions for manual installation. 

You've got to try these settings man since you love your FX40s so much, the details/ vocals are so in your face that you'll want to "kiss it." LoL
No joke, this cheapo rockboxed clip+ is putting my damn ipods to shame, just too crazy nice with these S500s. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,181 of 8,352
Quote:
I see lots of comparisons for in-ear, but not so many with over ear. How are these compared to full size headphones?

I'm looking for a headphone for mainly movies and singleplayer games. How do these fair against, let's say, AKG k240 and DT 990 for movies/rpg games?

I really like the price, so if these fit the bill, I would gladly buy it. Is the sound large, deep, and expansive enough for a good cinematic experience?

Thanks!

I don't have the AKGs or the DT990 but I can tell you these HA-S500 are my preferred headphones for playing BF3..I played Skyrim with these too. Just awesome.  The precision in sound does games amazingly well. Movies are top notch on these as they have that full low end sub bass rumble you need for them explosions. In fact.. If you guys haven't yet.. Try these out with a good movie.  Excellent all around headphones. I would invest in one of the velour pads just for the long use comfort however.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #1,182 of 8,352
Quote:
I don't have the AKGs or the DT990 but I can tell you these HA-S500 are my preferred headphones for playing BF3..I played Skyrim with these too. Just awesome.  The precision in sound does games amazingly well. Movies are top notch on these as they have that full low end sub bass rumble you need for them explosions. In fact.. If you guys haven't yet.. Try these out with a good movie.  Excellent all around headphones. I would invest in one of the velour pads just for the long use comfort however.

Oh, that is very nice to hear. I read your thread of the panasonic hft600 and some recommended it for movies because of the bass and also because of the soundstage from the semi-open design.

Would you recommend HA-S500 over the hft600 for movies and singleplayer games? My biggest complaint for the DT990 was that it sounded thin and the price too expensive, so I am looking for cheap alternative. I know the DT990 have a larger soundstage, I don't mind it being reduced, as long as it's larger than the m50; the soundstage was too claustrophobic.

Thanks for answering.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,183 of 8,352
Quote:
Sorry no Senn HD25. But I do use the velours from them on the HA-S500..Which gives off some of their sound characteristics. Bigger bass, more forward mids. Relaxed sparkle..I don't know if you read earlier but I have 2 sets of velour pads I use for these headphones. The HD25 velours and the ATH velours.. The HD25 is closer to the stock sound that is on the stock pads but the ATH velours change the sound completely.. Guys that love their forward mids with bigger bass the HD25 velours. Guys that want their mids wide and less bass and even more sparkle in the highs the ATH velours. 

Out of the 2 The ATH velours make these sound more akin to higher end semi open type sound as there is more emphasis on the highs and widens the mid section with less on the bass end.  ATH velours also give a wider sound because I noticed the sound from the driver emits completely through the velours. The HD25 velours the sound is channeled to the smaller sound opening as it has a solid bottom end. This is what I mean. Look at this pic. 2 velours yet it changes the sound completely.

So just by changing out pads you get 2 completely different sound signatures.. The HD25 velours for fun the ATH velours for more critical listening.

I have a third sound sig in the leather DJ pads I linked in a post a while back.......definately the best sounding of all, and the most comforable.....I run these pads with no EQ at all, where with the original pads, the bass was too strong, and with the ATH velours i eventually had to increase the bass a few db's!

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,185 of 8,352
Quote:

I have a third sound sig in the leather DJ pads I linked in a post a while back.......definately the best sounding of all, and the most comforable.....I run these pads with no EQ at all, where with the original pads, the bass was too strong, and with the ATH velours i eventually had to increase the bass a few db's!

Couldn't find these pads....please inform!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back