The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,156 of 8,352
Quote:
That is just an adapter for a mini optical to regular optical. Not what you think it is. Though that is a great idea. Nice pic Archmedisdead.

LoL, realized that after I read the product comments/ reviews. But you know what if this little adapter plugs into the 3.5mm audio jacks for mp3 players then problem solved. All you need is a male to male optical cable to the dac.  From the product reviews it seems like it plugs into 3.5mm audio jacks for PCs/ mp3s etc..... Fingers crossed.  

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-Fiber-Optic-Toslink-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347311082&sr=1-7&keywords=mini+optical+cable+male+to+male

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,157 of 8,352
Quote:

Oh man that Dragonfly is crazy looking for it's small size, but damn for ~$250?!!! I am sure it's worth it cuz it's so portable, but the Fire Phoenix is a lot more versatile and cheaper.  Thanks bobeau for the heads-up on this little beast. 

Yeah no prob.  For my use the portability is huge, even small a portable outboard DAC is clumsy.  I basically work at various cafes with an 11" MBA doing web development.  The fact that it's so performant (even for its price) is some pretty tasty icing on top.  I wouldn't put it past the Fire Phoenix to play in the same league, everything I've heard about it says its awesome.  It would be interesting to see how it goes against an ODAC/O2 combo (which also is transportable and must be plugged in).  I prefer the DF to the ODAC as a DAC but the O2 clearly is the more powerful amp and for certain cans it provides audible refinement/tightness/impact/speed, but not really much for easier to drive things.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,158 of 8,352
Not to derail, but regarding your comment kiteki ""CS4398 sounds more natural than ES9023." - I don't believe I've heard a CS4398 device, but I've heard 2 9018 devices (which I did not like at all) and another 9023 device in the ODAC.  The DF implementation, likely in part to the asyn implementation, is quite a bit smoother than the ODAC.  It's the only Sabre thing I've experienced to shake that cold vibe.

If I had the need for a transportable unit I would pick up the Fire Phoenix in a heartbeat, I'm almost inclined to do it out of curiosity just if it truly competes on the level of the ODAC/O2 and DF.  It's pretty outrageous the fidelity you can get in sub $100 components nowadays.  If anyone wants to ship me their's for evaluation... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,159 of 8,352
Quote:
LoL, realized that after I read the product comments/ reviews. But you know what if this little adapter plugs into the 3.5mm audio jacks for mp3 players then problem solved. All you need is a male to male optical cable to the dac.  From the product reviews it seems like it plugs into 3.5mm audio jacks for PCs/ mp3s etc..... Fingers crossed.  

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-Fiber-Optic-Toslink-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347311082&sr=1-7&keywords=mini+optical+cable+male+to+male

That's for devices that have mini optical out. Some laptops have optical out via the same 3.5mm port as the analog out for headphones. I have a Xonar DX sound card that does the same thing. I don't think most mp3 players have optical out via their headphone jack. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,160 of 8,352
Quote:

That's for devices that have mini optical out. Some laptops have optical out via the same 3.5mm port as the analog out for headphones. I have a Xonar DX sound card that does the same thing. I don't think most mp3 players have optical out via their headphone jack. 

Damn NM then, I give up haha.
triportsad.gif
  Was looking so promising........ "3.5mm" port thing threw me off, was thinking it was for all audio devices weakkkkk. 

Someone needs to make the adapters like the ones I had in mind tbhh.  Would be pretty neat.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,161 of 8,352
Quote:
Damn NM then, I give up haha.
triportsad.gif
  Was looking so promising........ "3.5mm" port thing threw me off, was thinking it was for all audio devices weakkkkk. 

Someone needs to make the adapters like the ones I had in mind tbhh.  Would be pretty neat.

That would require an ADC!  It would be kind of silly and fairly expensive, and totally pointless.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,162 of 8,352
Quote:
That would require an ADC!  It would be kind of silly and fairly expensive, and totally pointless.

ahahahahaha make a built-in ADC in the $1.59 adapter durrrrrr.  Didn't know audio adaptation/ conversion was so complicated, that's why I thought these cheapo things might do the trick ha.  Live and learn I guess, thanks for all the quick feedbacks you'll!

Oh if anyone of you'll have the sansa clip+ rockboxed and has the S500s, try setting your bass to 10, trebel to 2 and volume to -13, OMG it's gonna rock your socks off esp. with hip hop music. That bassline hits so hard and tight on the S500s with tons of imagery/ instrument separation even alternative music/ pop music sound sweet (minus 1 to 2 on the trebel/ bass for non hip hop genres).    

This setting for me really makes the S500 sound like a bigger/ better and more refined version of the FX40s. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,163 of 8,352
ahahahahaha make a built-in ADC in the $1.59 adapter durrrrrr.  Didn't know audio adaptation/ conversion was so complicated, that's why I thought these cheapo things might do the trick ha.  Live and learn I guess, thanks for all the quick feedbacks you'll!

Oh if anyone of you'll have the sansa clip+ rockboxed and has the S500s, try setting your bass to 10, trebel to 2 and volume to 13, OMG it's gonna rock your socks off esp. with hip hop music. That bassline hits so hard and tight on the S500s with tons of imagery/ instrument separation even alternative music/ pop music sound sweet (minus 1 to 2 on the trebel/ bass for non hip hop genres).    

This setting for me really makes the S500 sound like a bigger/ better and more refined version of the FX40s. 

Thanks. I am going to try that tomorrow.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,164 of 8,352
Just checked and my S500s are out of customs and being processed by USPS in Chicago. Do EMS speedpost packages from ace_of_bicycle then go Priority Mail after that? If so, I should probably have them tomorrow 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,165 of 8,352
I dunno but mine spent 5 days in customs at lax. And they were finally delivered today. Only problem with that is......

I left for D.C. last night! Wont see them till i get back thurs. Grrrrrrrr.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,166 of 8,352
Quote:

haha and we have confirmation Kiteki is a smoking hot Japanese girl.  I am sorry that I ever doubted. LoL

Thanks Dsnuts for the response and the pic, looks sweet and might have to get a set of these.  I wonder how they will sound just from a mp3 player as the source connected via the 2 RCA plugs to the dac? hmmmmm pretty versatile dac cuz of all them different plug options, nice!

Oh man that Dragonfly is crazy looking for it's small size, but damn for ~$250?!!! I am sure it's worth it cuz it's so portable, but the Fire Phoenix is a lot more versatile and cheaper.  Thanks bobeau for the heads-up on this little beast. 

No I still think that is just the character in his Avatar! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,167 of 8,352
Quote:
SO after some more burning (possibly 600 hours) I can comfortably say that they surpass more expensive headphones.

Feeding them off a MZ-NH800 (Hi-MD): They sound clean and punchy with Trance. They really dig out the bass and then deliver it in spades. The best part is that the rest of the spectrum is there too!

There doesn't seem to be any treble roll-off that I can hear and mids stay strong too.

Feeding them through the Objective2 with said MD in line-out mode: The biggest difference would be soundstage as everything seems to really open up and gives a very 3D effect.

To sum it up: I just ordered two more pairs, one in gunmetal and one more in black!

Glad your perseverance paid off !
biggrin.gif
   ...you have experience what the believers among us have gone thru, so, so headphone out of box, muddy sounds below 100 hrs burning, but after that ...WOW !

As DSnut has said, these JVC absolutely NEEDS aggressive burning before they'll perform.
I'll take any reviews of JVC Carbon Nano Tube iems or headphone that has less than 100 hrs of burn-in as a joke.
wink_face.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,168 of 8,352
I see lots of comparisons for in-ear, but not so many with over ear. How are these compared to full size headphones?

I'm looking for a headphone for mainly movies and singleplayer games. How do these fair against, let's say, AKG k240 and DT 990 for movies/rpg games?

I really like the price, so if these fit the bill, I would gladly buy it. Is the sound large, deep, and expansive enough for a good cinematic experience?

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,169 of 8,352
SWEET LORD JESUS! I think i nailed it!

So here i go... You all must know by now how much a like my FX40? Reasons? Sparcle.. Clarity. Etectetc.

So here i am, 10pm, using my S500 with my ipad giving them another "chance", thinking "ok, they sound good, but still i need more sparcle from this things". I am finding the mids to "dark" (sorry cant explain it with the correct words, analogdude is going to have an heart atack,so sorry)

Beat It.. Micheal Jackson,....here goes Eddie with hes solo and i am not that exited, i am not hearing the pick hit the strings and all that stuff, just when i was decided to switch to my fx40 i went to the the eq options of my ipad, was hitting a few options like Eletronica, Rock, RNB, i was at the point of deseperation and even tried salsa.. Nothing, still sounds dark, i am like..WT... :mad:

Oh man, i just was going to give up with this things,the bass is killing me, to much...then i did something i never do with headphones or iems, i choose Boost Treble (sorry, i speak spanish and my ipad is in spanish, you know what option it is)

BANG! BINGO! YEEEESSSS!!!!!!!

Sparcle, the voices are clear, the guitars sound sweet, the pianos are clear, snaping fingers are clear, i can hear those stratocasters pikcups like they should, the bass is tamed! Its not overpowering nothing (they may sound weak for must of you).... man, now i am rocking these things ..SWEET LORD JESUS!

I got a fiio e6 and e11 in my office, i will try the e11with some bass boost just for fun or no boost and report back.

I didnt tried using these option because all my other phones sound like ...... using these option, but using these option with my S500 is like MAGIC!!!!!!

pd: as always, sorry for my crappy english, but i dont care :D

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,170 of 8,352
Quote:
No I still think that is just the character in his Avatar! 
biggrin.gif

Dood don't question Kiteki's hotness, you gonna regret it. heeeeee  C'mon Kiteki people calling you out, show them wuz up!
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
SWEET LORD JESUS! I think i nailed it!
So here i go... You all must know by now how much a like my FX40? Reasons? Sparcle.. Clarity. Etectetc.
So here i am, 10pm, using my S500 with my ipad giving them another "chance", thinking "ok, they sound good, but still i need more sparcle from this things". I am finding the mids to "dark" (sorry cant explain it with the correct words, analogdude is going to have an heart atack,so sorry)
Beat It.. Micheal Jackson,....here goes Eddie with hes solo and i am not that exited, i am not hearing the pick hit the strings and all that stuff, just when i was decided to switch to my fx40 i went to the the eq options of my ipad, was hitting a few options like Eletronica, Rock, RNB, i was at the point of deseperation and even tried salsa.. Nothing, still sounds dark, i am like..WT...
mad.gif

Oh man, i just was going to give up with this things,the bass is killing me, to much...then i did something i never do with headphones or iems, i choose Boost Treble (sorry, i speak spanish and my ipad is in spanish, you know what option it is)
BANG! BINGO! YEEEESSSS!!!!!!!
Sparcle, the voices are clear, the guitars sound sweet, the pianos are clear, snaping fingers are clear, i can hear those stratocasters pikcups like they should, the bass is tamed! Its not overpowering nothing (they may sound weak for must of you).... man, now i am rocking these things ..SWEET LORD JESUS!
I got a fiio e6 and e11 in my office, i will try the e11with some bass boost just for fun or no boost and report back.
I didnt tried using these option because all my other phones sound like ...... using these option, but using these option with my S500 is like MAGIC!!!!!!
pd: as always, sorry for my crappy english, but i dont care
biggrin.gif

ahahahahaha man literally LoLs when I read that part, you're gold man!!! Like I said before my love for these FX40s are NOT WORTHY compared to yours!!! 

The S500s are ridiculous in how well the perform under EQing and Amping, I think I have hit my sweet spot with the rockboxed sansa clip+  setting and rick you seems to found your sweet spot with EQ in the ipad (so it should be the same as in your ipods no?).  Gonna give your pointer a try later tonight to see what's up. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back