The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 28, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #8,251 of 8,352
  I'm about to buy a pair of these headphones, and they're a lot cheaper to buy on eBay from Japan than through Amazon. Are there a lot of fakes on the market? I was planning on buying from this link/seller, 100% positive feedback.. I'd love any input before I drop cash on them!

I think no one is going to imitate a budget headphone.. I would get it from amazon JP then use tenso to ship. Most probably would be cheaper this way. The link you provided is SZ2000. Completely different beast. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #8,252 of 8,352
  I think no one is going to imitate a budget headphone.. I would get it from amazon JP then use tenso to ship. Most probably would be cheaper this way. The link you provided is SZ2000. Completely different beast. 

Yeah, I had too many tabs open and posted in the wrong thread. I'm just going to log out and pretend it never happened.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #8,253 of 8,352
I'am just gonna post something on topic here:

I was simply blown away for the second time by these headphones and their amazing price to quality ratio since I paired them with Nexus 5 CAF. A simply perfect match! Great soundstage and proper frequency response - noticeably better results than with S4 (Exynos/Wolfson based).

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #8,254 of 8,352
Both my S500 and S680 still going strong, cheapest longest surviving headphones I've ever had.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #8,257 of 8,352
Ordered these like 10 days ago on ebay. So looking forward to try them out!!! And also some velour pads on Aliexpress when I read about the comfort being so so. But I am quite sure the comfort is still better then my stock Somic MH463 :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #8,258 of 8,352
Made the mistake of leaving my S500 with a nephew. One channel died and the cushions pleather layer torn off. Left it at my home with the intention of repairing it later. Now I can't find it anymore.

I just buyed a second pair... waiting for the "mail man"

rolleyes.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #8,259 of 8,352
Hey guys.  I bought the S500 and am in the process of breaking them in.  I've read through a decent amount of this thread and the consensus seems to be they sound incredible but are uncomfortable without, and even sometimes WITH, new ear pads, and don't have a wide soundstage.  Mine are definitely not comfortable, and while mine aren't broken in, a wider soundstage would be nice.  There was also wishful talk of JVC one day releasing a set with 50mm carbon nanotube drivers.

Did an improved version of these ever come out?  Or a set with 50mm carbon nanotube drivers?  I read through the thread on the JVC S680's, and while people seemed to be hyped about them at first, it seems like a lot of people cooled on them after a while. 

Thanks for any insight.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #8,262 of 8,352
Just use them,  it will get more comfortable..  Give them some time.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #8,263 of 8,352
I wish they do come out with an upgraded version instead of just updated in a different housing or pads. I love the bass and treble extension, and the high sensitivity. It sounds hifi enough to convince other normal earphone users that you can get premium sound with little money.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #8,264 of 8,352
I wish they do come out with an upgraded version instead of just updated in a different housing or pads. I love the bass and treble extension, and the high sensitivity. It sounds hifi enough to convince other normal earphone users that you can get premium sound with little money.

They tried to do that with S680, but failed to do so...
I would say S500 is pretty much one-off, it's very hard to get it right with budget oriented cans like they did when you take into account burn-in effect, pads, resonance, clamping force, vents etc. And usually once you've got a perfect formula and you try to improve one thing (like comfort) you tend to screw up something else - there is no extensive R&D behind $55 cans.

They sound exactly how would I EQ other headphones to sound like. With many headphones you can hear massive improvement when a/b'ing after trying some custom EQ presets, not with these - after proper burn-in they don't need EQ at all, you will only ruin their sound and those beautiful mids/mid-bass if you attempt to extensively EQ them. :p

As for the pads, my advise is don't use anything other than stock and try to just get used to them - different pads will change their sound signature.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #8,265 of 8,352
Personally I think the S680 is an amazing improvement on he already pretty nice recipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back