The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jun 11, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #8,236 of 8,352
Its has been more than a week now listening to these JVC gems. Grabbed these from ebay in $40 including shipping. I would say i am really impressed with the SQ of these Japanese cans. Very articulated, rich and punchy bass. Treble is exactly what I want from the cans, as I am not a fan of high treble on the name of clarity. Mids IMO are little laid back, kind of coming back from far behind, not very forward. Comfort level is not very high, but keeping in view price to comfort level, its good. They are easily driven by laptop/cell phone. All in all, at this price point, you cant go wrong having JVC S500s in your gear collection. cheers..
regular_smile .gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #8,237 of 8,352
hi guys. i had a jvc ha s400 which i broke yesterday by mistake. do you guys think buying a jvc s500 will be an upgrade?
could you guys recomend me on ear headphone with good sound signature. my budget is $70.
i dont like Grado or koss since grado is open and i am im looking for on ear headphones only. thanks

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #8,238 of 8,352
  hi guys. i had a jvc ha s400 which i broke yesterday by mistake. do you guys think buying a jvc s500 will be an upgrade?
could you guys recomend me on ear headphone with good sound signature. my budget is $70.
i dont like Grado or koss since grado is open and i am im looking for on ear headphones only. thanks

Sad to hear that, Maybe you should look up on the S680 instead? It is a over ear headphone not on ear like the s400 or s500. Not sure about the SQ but worth checking out !

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #8,239 of 8,352

As Whaleshark said, try the S680 if you don't mind the over ear, if not, the S500 is still good!

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #8,241 of 8,352
  Sad to hear that, Maybe you should look up on the S680 instead? It is a over ear headphone not on ear like the s400 or s500. Not sure about the SQ but worth checking out !

As Whaleshark said, try the S680 if you don't mind the over ear, if not, the S500 is still good!

If he would go over the ear, I recommend the Creative Aurvana Live more than anything else in that price range. The CAL destroy the S680 in terms of sound and comfort

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #8,242 of 8,352
  Guys plz share your opinions about "Amping" the jvc s500s. What amps/dacs you people are using, and is it really enhance the SQ and specially the sound stage??

To me, amplification doesn't help much with the headphone. DAC upgrade would be better. Soundstage is pretty much restricted because of the form factor. Get a low power amp because its both low impedance and high sensitivity. Something like the FiiO E12A would be nice since it's made with IEMs in mind.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #8,243 of 8,352
  To me, amplification doesn't help much with the headphone. DAC upgrade would be better. Soundstage is pretty much restricted because of the form factor. Get a low power amp because its both low impedance and high sensitivity. Something like the FiiO E12A would be nice since it's made with IEMs in mind.

i am thinking about Fiio E11, what do you think about it? I m using jvcs with my laptop.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #8,246 of 8,352
They're two different worlds, considering they're built for different purposes and in different price points.

The HD650 is very detailed and has an expansive staging, S500 while detailed pales into comparison and with congested soundstage.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #8,247 of 8,352

So, I was bored and based my idea on top of the principles from dynamic drivers:

The more air, the more lows, but minds and highs will fade away.

Today I have made this mod

1/ vents from the back, so more air got pulled
2/ vents to the top, so more air is moved

The logic behind the different sizes = smaller for leakage to move out, and larger for air sucked in.

So this mod works as more air being pulled from behind the drivers, and then dispersed toward the top smaller vents.

Result ?

Sub-bass: now has a nice rumbles and vibrations
Sub-mid: fade back a little bit
High: fade back by a little bit

This result in the imagination of wider soundstage, as the sub-mid, high are both faded toward you as the spectrum got lowered a little, mean whiles the sub-bass gave the lows a nice touch of booming sound.

*Disclaimer* only try it if you dare, I know it works for me as I cover/in-cover the back vents.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #8,248 of 8,352
It works on the same principle as the Beyerdynamic COP with the tuneable bass response. It's good if you want to make it genre specific, but the clarity is sacrificed. If you do want better bass without compromising the highs and mids, the drivers and housing must be tuned from the ground up.

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #8,249 of 8,352
It works on the same principle as the Beyerdynamic COP with the tuneable bass response. It's good if you want to make it genre specific, but the clarity is sacrificed. If you do want better bass without compromising the highs and mids, the drivers and housing must be tuned from the ground up.

I agreed totally :), then this won't cost as cheap anymore, since you will need to replace the soldering quality, wires, cavity....etc lol.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #8,250 of 8,352
I'm about to buy a pair of these headphones, and they're a lot cheaper to buy on eBay from Japan than through Amazon. Are there a lot of fakes on the market? I was planning on buying from this link/seller, 100% positive feedback.. I'd love any input before I drop cash on them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back