The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #7,744 of 8,352
Found my S500s
dt880smile.png

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #7,745 of 8,352
  I ordered them from japan off amazon too much of a hassle lol, 
does anyone know what size pads the has500 uses? 
i want to know because if i order pads i dont want them to be too big or too small to replace

Same size as most on-ears like the WS55, HD25-1 ii, K518. I find the stock pads to be the best in terms of sound quality. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #7,746 of 8,352
  Same size as most on-ears like the WS55, HD25-1 ii, K518. I find the stock pads to be the best in terms of sound quality. 

+1 for the stock pads.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #7,748 of 8,352
hi guys...is there anyone here who happened to compare between ha-s500 and the phenomenal ath-m50?
how is the pros n cons for each cans in terms of comfortable and sound quality wise? like the bass depth/impact,mid,high,soundstage,bass speed,etc? :)
quite hard to find the demo set in malaysia :|

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #7,749 of 8,352
The M-50s are clearer across the spectrum, but have less bass quantity, and slightly more laid-back mids.  They are also twice the S500's price.  In general, the M-50s are best with classical music with piano, violin, etc.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #7,752 of 8,352
hi guys...is there anyone here who happened to compare between ha-s500 and the phenomenal ath-m50?
how is the pros n cons for each cans in terms of comfortable and sound quality wise? like the bass depth/impact,mid,high,soundstage,bass speed,etc? :)

Heres a mini comparison for you
Build quality = M50's hands down.
Comfort = also M50's.

Sound:
They both have equal amounts of bass and both have quite good subbass extension. The s500's have more upper bass and the bass is a bit tighter. Across the spectrum, the s500's sound more full-bodied with more weight and authority. The M50's almost sound thin in comparison. The mids are more recessed on the m50's especially the upper mids. S500 has very slightly recessed mids but you won't notice it unless you're coming from a mid-centric headphone. The highs are what makes these headphones different. The highs on the s500 have a fairly good extension but are very smooth and laid-back. Much easier to listen to. The highs in the m50's are very harsh and grainy, a lot of sibilance which makes it nearly unlistenable to for EDM or treble-focused genres. Soundstage, I gotta give it the m50's.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #7,753 of 8,352
  The M-50s are clearer across the spectrum, but have less bass quantity, and slightly more laid-back mids.  They are also twice the S500's price.  In general, the M-50s are best with classical music with piano, violin, etc.

Heres a mini comparison for you
Build quality = M50's hands down.
Comfort = also M50's.

Sound:
They both have equal amounts of bass and both have quite good subbass extension. The s500's have more upper bass and the bass is a bit tighter. Across the spectrum, the s500's sound more full-bodied with more weight and authority. The M50's almost sound thin in comparison. The mids are more recessed on the m50's especially the upper mids. S500 has very slightly recessed mids but you won't notice it unless you're coming from a mid-centric headphone. The highs are what makes these headphones different. The highs on the s500 have a fairly good extension but are very smooth and laid-back. Much easier to listen to. The highs in the m50's are very harsh and grainy, a lot of sibilance which makes it nearly unlistenable to for EDM or treble-focused genres. Soundstage, I gotta give it the m50's.

k
Thanks for all your response guys :)
Actually I own an M50 but I feel that the bass is not that much in quantity (needs an extra amp to satisfy my hunger :p)
and ya I agree with Darknecron that M50 is good with the kind of string instruments like violin n guitars..

I also agree with xkonfuzed in terms of M50 got a bright and harsh treble..sometimes it fatigues my ear for a high pitch vocalist listening to. smoother one is a good preference..
Then, is this S500 character similar to AKG K420? since u mentioned about a tight bass n smooth treble..

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #7,754 of 8,352

Where are you from? I can lend you my set, my location is in Cyberjaya. You can have it for like a few days if you need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back