The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Feb 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #4,996 of 8,352
I've had mine for a day or so now and i think the stock pads aren't bad. The sound is amazing for the price, my dad was listening to them for a while and had to call me just to say how good they sounded.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #4,999 of 8,352
Stock pads all the way. The ATH pleathers do make the sound airier but the bass is reduced a lot and while the sound is wider it loses some of its depth. As far as taping the vents I found it to negatively affect the texture of the bass, so I'll be sticking to the stock pads, which are comfy enough

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #5,000 of 8,352
Quote:
Stock pads all the way. The ATH pleathers do make the sound airier but the bass is reduced a lot and while the sound is wider it loses some of its depth. As far as taping the vents I found it to negatively affect the texture of the bass, so I'll be sticking to the stock pads, which are comfy enough

You must have a really weird shaped head if you find the stock pads that comfy lol 
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #5,002 of 8,352
Quote:
No, it's a normal head LOL Just my outer ears are smaller. I can see how the pads could be uncomfortable for you if you have ears like an elf.

Haha, well I've got normal ears too but stock pads get hot after an hour use lol

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #5,003 of 8,352
I am more used to in-ear and was wondering what actually is causing the discomfort from the pad.
Is is the harndness/lack of softness of pad, inability for the ear to "breath" through them, clamping force, combination of all these?
What if I make multiple little holes in the "leather" to make it breathe/ soften it... am i crazy?

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #5,004 of 8,352
Quote:
I am more used to in-ear and was wondering what actually is causing the discomfort from the pad.
Is is the harndness/lack of softness of pad, inability for the ear to "breath" through them, clamping force, combination of all these?
What if I make multiple little holes in the "leather" to make it breathe/ soften it... am i crazy?

It's NOT the clamping. The S500s barely clamp at all, which is what mainly makes them so comfortable to wear for long periods.

What I think it is that the vents are actually facing towards your ears, not outwards. 

Also, once I changed to ATH Pleathers I just can't go back to stock pads. I find them boomy and uncomfortable after an hour's use.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #5,005 of 8,352
Depth is more important to me than width or openness. So I guess I'll stick with the stock pads.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #5,007 of 8,352
Quote:
This is the reason why you want the WS99. It is gonna blow your mind. But see it has plenty of stage too.

I did a double take there. I thought this was in the other thread, I was like: when did I post this?! I guess I gotta go with the WS99s then. They are more expensive too, huh? xD

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #5,008 of 8,352
Quote:
I did a double take there. I thought this was in the other thread, I was like: when did I post this?! I guess I gotta go with the WS99s then. They are more expensive too, huh? xD

My first love of music was Metal believe it or not. I was blasting Judas Priest. Screaming for vengeance in the 6th grade out of the cassette deck in the library during the 80s..I am just saying. The ES700 has an elegant sound. The WS99 is full frontal brutality. What would you prefer listening to Metal with.  More expensive but not by much. Considering you have to buy WS55 pads on the ES700 if you get those that adds another $30 to the overall cost on that. This will end up being almost as much as a WS99..

Back on topic folks.

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #5,009 of 8,352
Quote:
My first love of music was Metal believe it or not. I was blasting Judas Priest. Screaming for vengeance in the 6th grade out of the cassette deck in the library during the 80s..I am just saying. The ES700 has an elegant sound. The WS99 is full frontal brutality. What would you prefer listening to Metal with.  More expensive but not by much. Considering you have to buy WS55 pads on the ES700 if you get those that adds another $30 to the overall cost on that. This will end up being almost as much as a WS99..

Back on topic folks.

So by power of deduction... ES700 will be perfect for Trance music? 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back