The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Feb 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4,966 of 8,352
Quote:

Had to edit my posts, was enjoying the HA-SR500's I picked up locally, especially with my electronic music.  But be aware they aren't the same as the Japanese import model.  Shame on you JVC ;-P  Why not bring over that same model?

Oh well.
TBB

Yes, I almost made the same mistake. Luckily I realized it before I bought them. The difference is the HA-SR500's don't have the carbon nanotube drivers.  But for the same price you can get MOST of the S500's sound AND buy it here with the S400 (30mm driver vs. 40mm in the S500). My wife absolutely loves hers and I even steal them sometimes too as they actually sound better to me on certain types of acoustic music than the S500's.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #4,967 of 8,352
Quote:
Yes, I almost made the same mistake. Luckily I realized it before I bought them. The difference is the HA-SR500's don't have the carbon nanotube drivers.  But for the same price you can get MOST of the S500's sound AND buy it here with the S400 (30mm driver vs. 40mm in the S500). My wife absolutely loves hers and I even steal them sometimes too as they actually sound better to me on certain types of acoustic music than the S500's.

I was browsing around for reviews of the HA-SR500 model that I picked up and came across this...

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/jvc-ha-s400-ha-sr500-headphones/

"JVC announced the HA-S400 and HA-SR500 on-ear, foldable headphones, which each feature 30mm neodymium driver units with carbon nanotubes which help produce crisp, clear sound."

I imagine ecoustics.com has the wrong info, which of course I read before I went to buy (facepalm)
No idea if ecoustics is a reputable website or just some low end online reseller?

Thought I'd share.
Cheers,
TBB

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,968 of 8,352
Quote:
I was browsing around for reviews of the HA-SR500 model that I picked up and came across this...

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/jvc-ha-s400-ha-sr500-headphones/

"JVC announced the HA-S400 and HA-SR500 on-ear, foldable headphones, which each feature 30mm neodymium driver units with carbon nanotubes which help produce crisp, clear sound."

I imagine ecoustics.com has the wrong info, which of course I read before I went to buy (facepalm)
No idea if ecoustics is a reputable website or just some low end online reseller?

Thought I'd share.
Cheers,
TBB

Yeah I actually saw that on ecoustics and thought it was weird that they were basically showing 4 different headphones. All of the other sites I went to (Amazon, B&H Photo, testfreaks.com, etc.) didn't mention carbon nanotubes. I'm assuming the "R" in the model number is the only difference other than it being a completely different headphone. LOL

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #4,969 of 8,352
Quote:
Yeah I actually saw that on ecoustics and thought it was weird that they were basically showing 4 different headphones. All of the other sites I went to (Amazon, B&H Photo, testfreaks.com, etc.) didn't mention carbon nanotubes. I'm assuming the "R" in the model number is the only difference other than it being a completely different headphone. LOL

In this case the "R" stands for remote, which in on the headphone wire.  My opinion so far, and without burn-in yet, is that the sound is fairly decent for the price range.  They are certainly the most comfortable on ear models I've ever worn.  I can barely feel them on my head, and they drop down around my neck without making me feel like I'm choking, like my Porta Pro's do.  

Edit - I went to visit my sister today and gave them to her.  To her they rock!  I'm sure she'll enjoy them more than I would have.  Back to the hunt for my next set of cans.

Cheers,
TBB

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #4,970 of 8,352
The S500s are just amazing. I am very very happy with these. I will stop my headphone hunt for a long time because of these. Not only do these sound incredible, they are easily powered by anything, they sound really really good. They fold up neatly as well! And it also helps that these are insanely low in price compared to what I've spent so far. Compared to the 300 dollar headphones I've used, bought, returned, tested, these are by far my favorite. I'm keeping these in the same drawer with my HD600s so they can be friends with each other.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #4,971 of 8,352
Quote:
The S500s are just amazing. I am very very happy with these. I will stop my headphone hunt for a long time because of these. Not only do these sound incredible, they are easily powered by anything, they sound really really good. They fold up neatly as well! And it also helps that these are insanely low in price compared to what I've spent so far. Compared to the 300 dollar headphones I've used, bought, returned, tested, these are by far my favorite. I'm keeping these in the same drawer with my HD600s so they can be friends with each other.

I doubt they will be friends.

Rich headphones are usually far too uptight to make friends with the middle-class folk.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4,972 of 8,352
I doubt they will be friends.

Rich headphones are usually far too uptight to make friends with the middle-class folk.
Yeah, the sennies will get jealous... :p

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #4,973 of 8,352
Quote:
Yeah, the sennies will get jealous...
tongue.gif

Haha, yeah. They are two different headphones, but they are great sounding. I doubt I will be giving either one up. As I type, I am listening to the S500, just an amazing phone. I haven't even burned them in as recommended. I am contemplating buying a few more for my family/friends who are into headphones.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #4,974 of 8,352
Haha, yeah. They are two different headphones, but they are great sounding. I doubt I will be giving either one up. As I type, I am listening to the S500, just an amazing phone. I haven't even burned them in as recommended. I am contemplating buying a few more for my family/friends who are into headphones.
great present indeed!

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #4,975 of 8,352
Quote:
you are right, thats what i said, so i come to the conclusion, that my brain "burned in" or you could say, i get used to the sound. thats another hint for me, that burn in is all about psychology.

Could not disagree more with you regarding burn in. I hated my s500 on open box. Now the surge after surge on matters that had to be attended to ASAP is finally over and I will come to get the Bruel & Kjaer measurements translated in English. Burn in data are for JVC HA-S770, which is the same driver as in HA-S500. After 48 hours of my burn in regime, there is, contrary to some that claim they found no marked change after measurements the same headphone on open box and after burn in, a clearly different measuring result. Basically, HA-S500s behave in the same manner.

I admit it is about psychology when changing transducers. It takes a while for me when going to headphone A to headphone B to be able to listen to say an amplifier or turntable or DAC or whatever differences correctly - they usually are lesser in magnitude than differences among phones. Still, an open box unburnt in headphone is immediately audible - with JVC drivers, the effect is most pronounced in low frequencies and there is some audible and measurable difference in highs too. I could use well burnt in HA-S500 when putting together the last turntable, but for the real fine tuning I had to switch to Stax Lambda Pro - that mid/high frequency anomaly some find so objectionable mainly responsible for that, as well as inability to go so low or so low/loud as Lambda. It is still mighty fine performance at any price, let alone the retail HA-S500s sell for.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #4,976 of 8,352
Feb 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #4,978 of 8,352
Feb 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #4,979 of 8,352
I did misread...

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #4,980 of 8,352
Hey guys, try cranking this up a bit (I hope I didn't hurt myself! lol) on your S500s!! I tried ot see hwo high I could handle mine and they literally vibrated off my ears, no distortion. Wow 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back