The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #3,826 of 8,352
Not a good excuse except that the deadline sprang up quickly and its a busy time. Maybe the deadline can be extended by a week?

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #3,827 of 8,352
I was about to take my picture for the contest and realized my source is my phone. I have no idea how I'm going to take a picture now xD I guess I could wear the headphones and hold up my phone.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3,828 of 8,352

Watch in 720p! It sounds fantastic in the S500s.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3,831 of 8,352
I will say for the guys that submitted today you all will get a prize.. For the rest of the guys it remains to be seen who will win the fuze.  If it is just you guys then one of you guys will win it..I know it is busy now so it makes sense to extend the dead line. I will keep tabs on all submissions and make a final decision after Christmas.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,833 of 8,352
Here's mine, with only an hour to spare!

EDIT: Here's the song:
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8PWsI4sRJU[/VIDEO]

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #3,834 of 8,352
Quote:
I happen to not believe too much in cable - no cable is capable of fixing the problem HA-S500s, and to a lesser or greater degree, any other real transducer, has. Cables certainly do make a difference - but depending on the application within the system. The one place a quality piece of wire of the proper design really does present an improvement over its lesser siblings, is from phono cartridge to phono preamp. All other applications are less critical than this one - but far from inaudible. A good piece of wire can in fact exceed the cost of stock JVC HA.S500 - no way JVC can afford doing anything of a sort if they want remain competitive. 

I did not intend to condemn the HA-S500s - they are one of the most rewarding and cost effective solutions I can think of. I agree with you that manufacturers have to please the mainstream in order to make money - but if no one says anything critical about their product, there will be no progress. If JVC's next headphone model will have better cups as a result of complaints like mine, everyone will benefit, not only Spen et allium admirers. We still can recable that phone with wire of our choice, to improve it further. What most of us will not try to do is to make new earcups that do not have this problem so pronounced - far harder to do than recabling.

In my case the DHC cable that I made was a litz round braid, OCC copper, cryoed, which is known to change the capacitance and characteristics, where most cheap IEM cables are low quality wire straight pairs!  I will not get into a cable feud, since some have never or will never experience because of disbelief!

Like I said, you have not heard my cable......and I have 2 pair of S500 to A/B each with a different cable/stock cable whatever, and I believe what I hear....so if you do not believe too much in cables........the soundstage/separation/imaging did change to these ears.  I have used the DHC cable several times before with similar results. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #3,835 of 8,352
Quote:

In my case the DHC cable that I made was a litz round braid, OCC copper, cryoed, which is known to change the capacitance and characteristics, where most cheap IEM cables are low quality wire straight pairs!  I will not get into a cable feud, since some have never or will never experience because of disbelief!

Like I said, you have not heard my cable......and I have 2 pair of S500 to A/B each with a different cable/stock cable whatever, and I believe what I hear....so if you do not believe too much in cables........the soundstage/separation/imaging did change to these ears.  I have used the DHC cable several times before with similar results. 

I never said I do not recognize benefits of better cable. But cable can and does improve something that already has decent characteristics, when there is such a glaring defect as in HA-S500, it will usually makes it even worse, because it will better reveal everything, that defect included. Cable is not a "smart" device, it does not have artificial intelligence built in to tell it what we want to hear through it and what not.

The demage in HA-S500 is done after the cable, after the driver - cup resonance(s). But I certainly believe that you have achieved better results by replacing the cable - it definitely is a step in the right direction - but alone cable change it simply is not enough in order to put HA-S500 really right.
Try ANY well recorded solo flute recording - when it goes wrong, it is ear piercing. No cable in the galaxy alone can possibly change that.

The resonance must be pretty higfh Q in order to be that annoying at some frequencies. It is like a racing car that is super stable on road, very fast,
with great acceleration and braking - its single flaw is that at precisely between 125 and 128 mph spuns off road in the right curves, nommatterwhat. Would you enjoy racing a car with such defect known in advance - sooner or later you will be forced to enter the fobidden speed range in the heat of the battle of the race, transporting yourself (hopefully)  to H-V-N in the process ...

Bottom line - I believe that your pair(s) of HA-S500s are the best in existance - but that does, by your own admission, not make them good enough for
ALL of music. Whether everything that does play well on HA-S500s is 60 % or 99,99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 %,
is personal decision of each listener. Be it as it may, I still love and enjoy my pair with the right choice of music and reccomend them to friends with taste in music not likely to cause trouble with HA-S500. For the money, there is little if anything out there like HA-S500s that punch far above their weight.

As always, enjoy the music !

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #3,837 of 8,352
Quote:
I never said I do not recognize benefits of better cable. But cable can and does improve something that already has decent characteristics, when there is such a glaring defect as in HA-S500, it will usually makes it even worse, because it will better reveal everything, that defect included. Cable is not a "smart" device, it does not have artificial intelligence built in to tell it what we want to hear through it and what not.

The demage in HA-S500 is done after the cable, after the driver - cup resonance(s). But I certainly believe that you have achieved better results by replacing the cable - it definitely is a step in the right direction - but alone cable change it simply is not enough in order to put HA-S500 really right.
Try ANY well recorded solo flute recording - when it goes wrong, it is ear piercing. No cable in the galaxy alone can possibly change that.

The resonance must be pretty higfh Q in order to be that annoying at some frequencies. It is like a racing car that is super stable on road, very fast,
with great acceleration and braking - its single flaw is that at precisely between 125 and 128 mph spuns off road in the right curves, nommatterwhat. Would you enjoy racing a car with such defect known in advance - sooner or later you will be forced to enter the fobidden speed range in the heat of the battle of the race, transporting yourself (hopefully)  to H-V-N in the process ...

Bottom line - I believe that your pair(s) of HA-S500s are the best in existance - but that does, by your own admission, not make them good enough for
ALL of music. Whether everything that does play well on HA-S500s is 60 % or 99,99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 %,
is personal decision of each listener. Be it as it may, I still love and enjoy my pair with the right choice of music and reccomend them to friends with taste in music not likely to cause trouble with HA-S500. For the money, there is little if anything out there like HA-S500s that punch far above their weight.

As always, enjoy the music !

To close my discussion with you, I can say fortunately your flaw with the S500 does not show itself in any of my music library, and Loreena Mckinnets high soprano voice, as well as many other soprano voices that I listen to.....I am 100% convicned that the S500 is the best I have heard to date.  Unless the JVC FXZ200 that I will receive today bests it!  I do not plan to dispose of any of my headphones/IEM's because of a flaw that "you" detected......but I am glad you made us all aware of that.  Now, your task is to contact all of the manufacturers of headphones/IEM's, and convince them to fix the flaw!  In the meantime I will assure you I will not be purchasing any choir music, and I have other genres, for whatever reason that I do not enjoy! 

Enjoy your music, and keep finding those flaws with other headphones/IEM's, because there are none that are perfect!

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3,839 of 8,352
Quote:

To close my discussion with you, I can say fortunately your flaw with the S500 does not show itself in any of my music library, and Loreena Mckinnets high soprano voice, as well as many other soprano voices that I listen to.....I am 100% convicned that the S500 is the best I have heard to date.  Unless the JVC FXZ200 that I will receive today bests it!  I do not plan to dispose of any of my headphones/IEM's because of a flaw that "you" detected......but I am glad you made us all aware of that.  Now, your task is to contact all of the manufacturers of headphones/IEM's, and convince them to fix the flaw!  In the meantime I will assure you I will not be purchasing any choir music, and I have other genres, for whatever reason that I do not enjoy! 

Enjoy your music, and keep finding those flaws with other headphones/IEM's, because there are none that are perfect!

There are few, very few things in life that are 100%. One of them is that no audio device is perfect.

I am not interested in finding flaws in audio whatever per se, but if it does significantly affects the music. Believe me, when recording "anything", there is nothing more frustrating than not be able to hear in your monitor what you see in front of you and hear with your own ears without any technical assistance. Two sopranos lumped together in a mess (or any other voice/instrument) when they are clearly naturally separated heard live is no fun - and can and does lead to wrong mic positioning. No after the fact can correct for such mic placement error.
Therefore, I require/demand equipment to function properly. "Translating" in your mind the sound in your monitor headphones/IEMs just how it will all sound on speakers is hard enough - compounding the problem with a headphone deficiences exactly in the range where I need it the most is just too much.

Interested how your new JVC IEMs turn out - save for your (newly formed) dislike of choral music we (did) share some taste in music and I am looking forward to your impressions on FXZ200s.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,840 of 8,352
Quote:
There are few, very few things in life that are 100%. One of them is that no audio device is perfect.

I am not interested in finding flaws in audio whatever per se, but if it does significantly affects the music. Believe me, when recording "anything", there is nothing more frustrating than not be able to hear in your monitor what you see in front of you and hear with your own ears without any technical assistance. Two sopranos lumped together in a mess (or any other voice/instrument) when they are clearly naturally separated heard live is no fun - and can and does lead to wrong mic positioning. No after the fact can correct for such mic placement error.
Therefore, I require/demand equipment to function properly. "Translating" in your mind the sound in your monitor headphones/IEMs just how it will all sound on speakers is hard enough - compounding the problem with a headphone deficiences exactly in the range where I need it the most is just too much.

Interested how your new JVC IEMs turn out - save for your (newly formed) dislike of choral music we (did) share some taste in music and I am looking forward to your impressions on FXZ200s.

I think it would be very helpful to this forum of you would list the headphones/IEM's that do not have your flaw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back