The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,781 of 8,352
Quote:
Here's my pick to test S500. Unfortunately the YouTube quality is a bit poor but it could give you a good impression of HP's capabilities.

I would rather suggest the CD version by Deutsche Grammophon

I will listen to that - thanks!

Btw, how are you finding the bass now? I must admit that when I read your comments about the bass of the S500, I was scratching my head a bit because when I first got the S500 (with the stock pads), the bass was substantial enough to fatigue my ears. After substantial burn in, and now with the vents tapes, I can almost handle all of the bass with the stock pads, but prefer the slightly lesser bass with the ath pleathers (and generally more balanced sound).

Anyway, I'm interested in your present thoughts.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3,782 of 8,352
Quote:

I will listen to that - thanks!

Btw, how are you finding the bass now? I must admit that when I read your comments about the bass of the S500, I was scratching my head a bit because when I first got the S500 (with the stock pads), the bass was substantial enough to fatigue my ears. After substantial burn in, and now with the vents tapes, I can almost handle all of the bass with the stock pads, but prefer the slightly lesser bass with the ath pleathers (and generally more balanced sound).

Anyway, I'm interested in your present thoughts.

When I first tried the headphones I was expecting much more bass impact judging by everyone's first impressions. As I mentioned in the first post I don't consider myself a basshead so I was "afraid" that the bass could blow me away. That fortunately didn't happen! So probably the first time was a comparison of my theoretical expectations and the reality.
Also I listen to 0% of EDM/DNB music so I was testing the bass mainly with "wrong" Rock songs. When I tried some of electronica just for burning purposes, I can confirm that sometimes the bass is unbearable for me!

On the other hand it is great for Hip Hop. I don't know if it was mentioned before, but you can try to hear the background bass at Nas feat Lauryn Hill - If I Ruled The World. If I'm not mistaken this song was suggested by Dsnuts in another thread.

I haven't reached the 100hrs of burn in so I think that there will be more changes to come. Also I used mainly bass softer music so I hope that with rougher genres the proceed will speed up.

I'm not an expert and I can't compare the experience with other cans. I found the s500 great for almost every genre I tried, good instrument separation and I could easily recommend them for any Rock genre. I was impressed by their performance in Acoustic, Country and Folk too. Also no sibilance so far but I'm using mainly FLACs and V0 MP3s. I usually prefer to use EQ but they sound just good even without this. They are too easy to drive I usually go to 50-60% volume through my laptop and max 70% through Samsung Wave.

I'm still using the stock pads, and I don't think that someone should change them immediately. I'm also expecting HM5 pads and ELE-DAC so I will have different results in the near future.

I would like a bit more soundstange, think this will improve with HM5 pads.

Probably I'm just repeating more or less the same thoughts as everyone else that is because I'm totally satisfied by them even without any mod so far!

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #3,783 of 8,352
Quote:
I would like a bit more soundstange, think this will improve with HM5 pads.

Probably I'm just repeating more or less the same thoughts as everyone else that is because I'm totally satisfied by them even without any mod so far!

Once you get the HM5 pads (they work great), if you really want mind blowing/insane soundstage, separation, and imaging, buy some DHC OCC wire and build a cable for the S500!  Best $ I have spent on this hobby!

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3,784 of 8,352
Once you get the HM5 pads (they work great), if you really want mind blowing/insane soundstage, separation, and imaging, buy some DHC OCC wire and build a cable for the S500!  Best $ I have spent on this hobby!
Finally you share your wisdom Cute! :D

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3,785 of 8,352
Quote:

That could be a good idea, but I really don't know anything about recabling so I would not attempt to make the S500s my first  guinea pig!

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3,786 of 8,352
Quote:

Cute sell me one of your godly modded pair of S500s, i'll pay anything!!! I'll trade one of my kidneys for it.
tongue_smile.gif
Damn i wish my noob @ss got the skittles for recableing, etc. So jelly. :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #3,787 of 8,352
Where do you get your cables Cute?

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3,790 of 8,352
Quote:
Where do you get your cables Cute?

Peter (doublehelixcables.com) sells DIY wire, and 3.5mm plugs.....I purchased enough wire in the last year, and taught myself to do a litz braid.  I use clear wire for tip and ring, and translucent black for the returns.  Completed cables can be seen on the web site, but they are pretty much cost prohibitive, unless you are a serious head-fier.  Wire is $1.69 a foot right now, the plugs $7, soldering skills required.  A four foot cable requires 20ft!  You can check around for a DIY'er to build it!  I have wire coming to build a silver cable for my other S500.  BTW, I have tried two other types of wire tool, and believe me I can very easily tell by the sound which one I was listening to, A/B (I did an A/B with the stock cable when I started the process), and I can say manufacturers do not pay much attention to that detail even in some of the better headphones!  Wire is a whole separate business, but it takes some research to get the right synergy! 

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3,794 of 8,352
Dec 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #3,795 of 8,352
Quote:
I can't buy the DHC wire and build cables rewire headphones for profit......copyright laws!   DIY!

Then sell it at a loss.
biggrin.gif
It's call DIY charity. ahahahaha Just want to hear what your mad modding skills are cooking up that's all. Since you sold all your $$$s gears for these cheapo modded S500s, i can't even imagine how AMAZING your sets sounds tbh cuz my simple modded ones already sound so incredible. These S500s are truly nuts yo!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back