The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2,626 of 8,352
Quote:
For those of us who weren't born knowing "JVC S500 slang" he is talking about these specifc pads from ebay.

Hasn't our friend put the pad links into the OP yet? I guess he is spending too much time having fun listening to all of his toys! :wink:

Btw, thanks for the info about the E10 and E11 - I will definitely check them out :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2,627 of 8,352
Hello, I bought a pair of HA-S500's on ebay, and I have 2 questions:
1) The mids are really shouty and distant so it's hard to get into some songs, is anyone else hearing this? (And will burn-in help?)
2) I know this is a lot, but can anyone make a guide to making the cable removable. (dual 3 pin mini XLR, and comment on if it changes the sound by much on these, as I heard that the housing is really sensible to mods and stuff)

EDIT: And my ears touch the driver, so they get irritated, will any pads fix this?

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2,628 of 8,352
Hello, I bought a pair of HA-S500's on ebay, and I have 2 questions:
1) The mids are really shouty and distant so it's hard to get into some songs, is anyone else hearing this? (And will burn-in help?)
2) I know this is a lot, but can anyone make a guide to making the cable removable. (dual 3 pin mini XLR, and comment on if it changes the sound by much on these, as I heard that the housing is really sensible to mods and stuff)
EDIT: And my ears touch the driver, so they get irritated, will any pads fix this?

Ears touching the drivers, thats the first time i have heard about that. Try rolling some paper under the pads.
How many hours of burn in they got? Stock pads?

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,629 of 8,352
Ears touching the drivers, thats the first time i have heard about that. Try rolling some paper under the pads.
How many hours of burn in they got? Stock pads?

1) Yeah, my ears are touching big time, they get all red.
2) Instead of paper, will cotton sound better?
3) Not much burn in, I'd say 5 hours, Just got them.
4) Yup, stock pads.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2,630 of 8,352
Your ears should only have contact with the pads, or you got very small ears.
Try the cotton, could work.

5 hours, thats nothing, you need at least 5 days. But imo if your ears are touching the inside of the phone and rubbing the drivers thats the main reason of your problemss, you got very small ears dude :D

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,631 of 8,352
Your ears should only have contact with the pads, or you got very small ears.
Try the cotton, could work.
5 hours, thats nothing, you need at least 5 days. But imo if your ears are touching the inside of the phone and rubbing the drivers thats the main reason of your problemss, you got very small ears dude :D

Or, its the pads on my ears (but still irritate it), not my ears on the drivers, I have medium-large ears xD

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,632 of 8,352
Quote:
1) Yeah, my ears are touching big time, they get all red.
2) Instead of paper, will cotton sound better?
3) Not much burn in, I'd say 5 hours, Just got them.
4) Yup, stock pads.

You should also consider the ATH pleathers. Balances out the sound. I found the S500's somewhat fatiguing with the stock pads (both bass and highs), but I love the sound with the ATH pleathers. Mind you, the opening of the ATH pleathers is a bit bigger, so that won't help with your small ear syndrome
wink.gif

Edit: I just read your above post. I find the ATH pleathers much more comfortable than the stock pads as well. So, you know what you need to do lol!

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,633 of 8,352
Okokok

Yea, thats the stock pads, they are not comfortable and not the best sounding, try the at pleathers, check the link posted by Doc. It helps a lot.

Also, BURN them like no tomorrow, 5 hours is nothing. Carbon nano tubes needs a pounding.

Keep us updated. What other phones you got?

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2,634 of 8,352
Okokok
Yea, thats the stock pads, they are not comfortable and not the best sounding, try the at pleathers, check the link posted by Doc. It helps a lot.
Also, BURN them like no tomorrow, 5 hours is nothing. Carbon nano tubes needs a pounding.
Keep us updated. What other phones you got?

How loud do I blast these while burning them in?

EDIT: other cans are Razer Carcharias (NO soundstage whatsoever), and the monoprice 8320's, I used to have the AKG K702 before I sold them to fund my portable rig (4 gig white Clip+ rockboxed, 32 gig microSD, JVC HA-S500 (duh), second pair of Monoprice 8320's (lost my first), and a pack of Comply T400's, as well as $35 extra)

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,635 of 8,352
85-90% of volume, just check it doesnt distort and use bass heavy music to pound those drivers.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #2,636 of 8,352
85-90% of volume, just check it doesnt distort and use bass heavy music to pound those drivers.

OK, are you sure they won't get damaged? (Better safe than sorry)

EDIT: Does the song need to be in FLAC, or will 320 MP3 be fine? (I have a 320 MP3 album where the bass hits HARD, and my FLACs are like Noisia)

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,637 of 8,352
Quote:
EDIT: Does the song need to be in FLAC, or will 320 MP3 be fine? (I have a 320 MP3 album where the bass hits HARD, and my FLACs are like Noisia)

The file quality doesn't really matter IMO... just make sure the music is bassy. And people have reported that such volumes will not be damaging.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2,638 of 8,352

320 or flac, doesnt matter just be sure its not distorting and its bass heavy music.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,639 of 8,352
320 or flac, doesnt matter just be sure its not distorting and its bass heavy music.

Actually, do you know any good songs to burn in with, mine aren't really that bassy
I found one, it was in the portal 2 soundtrack, feels like my headphones are gonna fall off :D

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,640 of 8,352
The file quality doesn't really matter IMO... just make sure the music is bassy. And people have reported that such volumes will not be damaging.

Yea, no problem, i am listening to RHCP at 90% on my ipad, not a hint of distortion just bass, drums and guitars flying every where :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back