The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2,611 of 8,352
So how do you super pimp your clip? Simple. Throw it on one of these Bravo Ocean Amps. This don't sound like just a Clip anymore.Lol.

Sounds like A Full
basshead.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,612 of 8,352
Quote:
If you want something portable that you can take with you to use with your mp3 player, you should look at the FiiO E17. Has a line in for plugging in your mp3 player to use it just as a headphone amp. Works great. Very small and easy to carry in your pocket, but also has optical in and USB for plugging your computer up to it when you need both the DAC and the headphone amp part. 

Thanks for that tip. After doing some more learing, I would probably realize that I should get something with a DAC in it. From recent posts I just learned that I can't hook up my portable players to the Fire Phoenix, so I'm not sure it's for me. And there is no DAC in the Bravo tube amp. And neither is portable. So the FiiO E17 sounds interesting! Thanks.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2,613 of 8,352
I was looking onto the E17. Those seem to be a very versatile portable dac/amp and for what it does is at a good price. I would look into them. I am more stationary than mobile so I wanted a bit more powerful dedicated hardware than the E17.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2,614 of 8,352
Quote:
I was looking onto the E17. Those seem to be a very versatile portable dac/amp and for what it does is at a good price. I would look into them. I am more stationary than mobile so I wanted a bit more powerful dedicated hardware than the E17.

I've been reading up on the E17 at B&H, including reading the reviews, and yes, it like it might be perfect for me.

Mind you, your pimped out clip setup looks somewhat awesome lol!

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #2,615 of 8,352
Quote:
It will be quite a waiting given the things on my audio plate at the moment. Do not believe it would be so conviencigly better than Foobar2000. But for the price of original purchase and additional fees for each upgrade, I guess they must be offering some advantage over free F2K.  My main concern is the ability to play back DSD files - both F2K and jRiver 17 ( latest ?)  can do that. And DSPs must cater for crossfeed. From what cute wrote, jRiver has more options/settings for crossfeed, but I did not get to test it yet.

There are definitely more crossfeed settings. The amount of audio settings is pretty ridiculous actually.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,616 of 8,352
I have been visiting a friend and discovered a CD at his place I lent him ages ago :

http://www.burmester.de/en/produkte/index.php?product=2,16,38

It is all reference quality material, but the real killer is the last track, from the album

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1273246/a/Poems+of+Thunder.htm

the mp3 samples can not possibly do justice to the real thing - if you really want to test something, this CD is it. But proceed with caution - most hifi and phones are incapable of such an onslaught.  I am happy to report HA-S500  is man enough !

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #2,617 of 8,352
Quote:

The only place  that I can find these HM5 pads is mp4nation, they sell it for like $8 a piece. Think they ship worldwide but not sure, since I have never ordered from them before........

Thank You. Just ordered from theme. hope it is going to be more comfortable then the stock pads. And they ship free worldwide using airmail without tracking and for 2.5$ you could also get airmail shipping with tracking number

Thank you

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #2,618 of 8,352
I've been reading up on the E17 at B&H, including reading the reviews, and yes, it like it might be perfect for me.

Mind you, your pimped out clip setup looks somewhat awesome lol!

Why not try the E10? CD sample rate is only 44.1khz anyway and the E10 DAC hits 96Khz. Instead of the E17 I got the combo of (and usually recommend to people) the E10 for your desk and the E11 for portable. A couple of reasons:

1. you can keep your portable rig as a portable rig and don't have to keep taking it apart.
2. You can always have the E10 sitting there at your desk or with your laptop and don't have to fuss with it.
3. the E11 is about 35% more powerful than the E17 and sounds very transparrent and fast IMO.

You could even do the E10 as you DAC+Ocean tube amp using the line out if you want.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,619 of 8,352
Quote:

Thanks for that tip. After doing some more learing, I would probably realize that I should get something with a DAC in it. From recent posts I just learned that I can't hook up my portable players to the Fire Phoenix, so I'm not sure it's for me. And there is no DAC in the Bravo tube amp. And neither is portable. So the FiiO E17 sounds interesting! Thanks.

The E17 is very portable. It's exactly the same size as three Clip+ laid side by side (I just checked). Not too big to carry. 

Quote:
3. the E11 is about 35% more powerful than the E17 and sounds very transparrent and fast IMO.
You could even do the E10 as you DAC+Ocean tube amp using the line out if you want.

I didn't know it was that much more powerful. Headfonia did say that while the E11 amp is a little better than the E17, the DAC in the E17 is better than the E10, so maybe it's a wash in SQ difference between E17 vs E10/E11. Have you heard both setups? 

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2,620 of 8,352
Oct 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #2,621 of 8,352
I havent read through this whole thread but im interested. Is there any pads that you can put on these that make them circumaural? Also, it seems like they may be to bassy for me, any pad changing that will take away some bass or add mids and highs? Also, are they sensitive enough to work fine from an iPhone, or do they need an amp?

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,622 of 8,352
I havent read through this whole thread but im interested. Is there any pads that you can put on these that make them circumaural? Also, it seems like they may be to bassy for me, any pad changing that will take away some bass or add mids and highs? Also, are they sensitive enough to work fine from an iPhone, or do they need an amp?

One thing I can the you is the bass tightens up and calms down a little bit after burn in. The ATH pleathers sound like the best pads for the sound you're looking for. As far as over ear cute is the man to ask about that.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #2,623 of 8,352
I didn't know it was that much more powerful. Headfonia did say that while the E11 amp is a little better than the E17, the DAC in the E17 is better than the E10, so maybe it's a wash in SQ difference between E17 vs E10/E11. Have you heard both setups? 

Yes no doubt it has a different DAC and I have never gotten a chance to try them both side by side so I can't say on the E17. I own the E11 and think it is a very fine amp and the E10 seem to do the job beautifly.

You know who you could PM is Malveax. He uses the E10. You could ask him if he has compared them side by side.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #2,624 of 8,352

Ath pleathers if you want a more refined sound with a little less of bass.
Yes, its easly driven by an iphone, even a clip+

Just to be warned, they need burn in, out of the box and with stock pads you may not like the bass. So, they need extensive burn in and at pleathers.

I havent heard nobody wanting more highs, even with stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back