The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jun 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,457 of 3,535
Not sure I hear it the same way, 850 definitely better in the bass department, felt SM64 did detailing/soundstaging better, but that was before the attenuator/Ray Samuels combo got into the act. The 850 definitely closed the gap in those areas with that combo, but I haven't compared them to get a sense of whether it caught up, passed the SM64, or the SM64 is still ahead in those areas (it definitely is ahead in comfort/fit, at least in my ears).

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,458 of 3,535
Well I found a headphone. It's $150 more, right at my limit for price, but I feel it's worth it. I just wanna know if the tips from the FX850 will fit onto the Senn IE800.
Also, is the 800 capable of using a different cable? Some say it's quite microphonic.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,459 of 3,535
Jun 29, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #1,460 of 3,535
I like the Narmoo S1, good fit, reasonable, sound really nice through DX90.

Appreciate the suggestion. Pretty set on getting the Senn's now. IE800. Emailed Senn about a different cable (maybe I could just outright buy one).

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,461 of 3,535
Oops, thought you wanted inexpensive knock arounds that sounded god. Don't have the Sennheiser, heard it at a meet, sound great the top of the line Shure iem (?850?) are also supposed to to great sounding and fitting.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #1,462 of 3,535
Oops, thought you wanted inexpensive knock arounds that sounded god. Don't have the Sennheiser, heard it at a meet, sound great the top of the line Shure iem (?850?) are also supposed to to great sounding and fitting.

Yeah, those would have done, but I'm a minimalist, so if I can get the best of both it's better. IE800 is end game IEM for me. Won't hit end game over ears till I get the stax sr-009 :p, but for now, shall settle for one of the planars. Maybe the HE400i.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,463 of 3,535
I finally listened to the FX650s I bought for my wife....and I was pleasantly surprised that they come pretty close to the FX850s. What a nice surprise. I am selling almost all of my headphone gear to fund another hobby, but I think I will keep these, especially since my wife hardly used them.

Anyone who wants to try the JVC woodie sound but does not want to spend for a pair of 850s should definitely check out the 650s.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,464 of 3,535

This does not surprise me they scale really well to amping.. Guys that own the FX850 try some different amp configurations to throw the FX850 into overdrive. I am rediscovering the FX850s with my new ICAN.. Never sounded better to my ears.

The JVCs sound great with the smaller iCAN Nano amp for a less expensive and more portable solution, although it is still pretty large for a portable.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,465 of 3,535
Is anyone selling a spare pair of those Spiral Dot tips, sized Medium? 
L3000.gif

Trying to avoid paying $40 for tips... 

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,467 of 3,535
  Possible a dumb question, but the FX850 is my first pair of IEMs with MMCX connectors. Any advice on how to plug and unplug them in as safe a manner as possible? From what I've read MMCX connectors are kind of delicate and applying a light amount of force doesn't seem sufficient. I'm not quite comfortable applying more.

like all iem, you have to hold the cable and pinch against the iem to push out the cable(your thumb and index fingers will push against the shell of the iem while holding the cable, the iem will be pushed away and the cable will come off.). NOT pull it out. do a search in youtube. there are some videos showing how to do it.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #1,468 of 3,535
The bass on these things are quite impressive lol

From pictures on this thread I thought they were bigger but they're a lot smaller than I expected ..

Cable and packaging not too impressive for what it costs but other from thay , definitely enjoying it !

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,469 of 3,535
Anyone has both the DN-1000 and the FX850?
How do you think they compare? I just got my FX850 and had a short listen, probably only 20 mins. I think they are quite similar. However,  I do think the soundstage of the 850 is much wider and the clarity is better. Instruments sound more realistic and mids are more forward. I don't know how to describe the bass and treble tho. Maybe I will have to spend more time with it. Listening to music with lots of focus on instruments are definitely very enjoyable. Definitely a step up. What do you guys think? 
Then my Clip+ plays Daft Punk's Derezzed....dat bass..now I understand.
I don't wanna take them off..

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,470 of 3,535
Listening to my preowned well burned in (260 hrs) 850s has been a revelation.  after replacing the stock cable with the Filo silver upgrade cable, the bass was
tamed and the whole SQ well balanced.  hearing things i never heard before in well listened recordings.  Psytrance just explodes in new gestalts of sound,
rock guitars have color and body, and voices sing like angels.  a true breakthrough product!  how did i live without them?  they synchronize well with DX90 and
benefit greatly from amping.  using E12 gives them power and grace. about to try RS amps with them for some more refinement and class A goodness.
Kudos to JVC for hitting one ou of the ballpark with the 850s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back