The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Apr 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #530 of 3,535
Think these would be a straight upgrade from triple fi 10?

When I first got into this hobby, I bought a TF10 and an IE8 - and those two cans complimented each other - one was the big expansive dynamic driver phone and the other was the fast, bright, punchy BA phone...

As I have upgraded over the years, these two presentations have somewhat merged into one with first my 8A and now my JH16FP - but if I was (and I probably will when the price comes down a bit more) to buy a spiritual successor to my IE8's, it would have to be the 850. So I don't think it is a natural upgrade from the TF10 - but I am sure it IS an upgrade from the TF10. IMHO

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #531 of 3,535
Is the cables microphonic? Are they good for walks?

The stock cable is soft and flexible. I have not noticed any appreciable amount of microphonics. I should think they would be satisfactory for walks unless is is extremely windy. They do have a small vent on the outside. On a scale of 0-100, I would rate the isolation as about a 65.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #534 of 3,535
The stock cable is soft and flexible. I have not noticed any appreciable amount of microphonics. I should think they would be satisfactory for walks unless is is extremely windy. They do have a small vent on the outside. On a scale of 0-100, I would rate the isolation as about a 65.

What if isolation compared to a Westone, say W4 or UM3X? What would the scale be for Westone?

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #535 of 3,535
Just going by memory, the W4 has a little better isolation.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #536 of 3,535
I say 70% isolation for me:blush:....and the synergy with the fiio x5 is natural and very detailed, but both are still new and needs adequate burn in to sound proper :blush:...fx850 has only 26hrs and the x5 has 4hrs:sweat_smile:

You should hear how the Flat 4 Suis sound on the X5. Sublime...

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #537 of 3,535
Put in an order for the 750, looking forward to what I hope will become a great new daily driver. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #538 of 3,535
Hi all - if you are looking for a microphone for the FX850, the Westone ones fit well. I am using the Android one.

Here is what I am referring to (BTW I did not buy from here - I picked mine up from a retailer in Hong Kong).

Kind regards

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #539 of 3,535

Without drifting off topic to much this really depends on an items popularity.

My theory in practice will only work with gear that holds resale value (or/and while an item is hot topic on head-fi)  Often if somethings enthusiastic ( like JVC FX850 right atm), people will be looking on the boards, if you've only tried them  which isn't for you dropping $20 will work as they're getting it cheaper than new in  "as new" condition. then you need to consider these people are often ready to ship in the USA  straight to you in 2-3 days. (No Tenso). if it's an absolute must you need total outlay back take it to eBay instead. 

My theory will not work with something unpopular, it must be holding resale value or currently circulating  in the hype machine. 

I'd like to think by trying gear you're gaining a certain level of experience along the way, the small loss is what you outlay to try the item.

You cannot have your cake for free, Lee.

Anyway, if anyone knows Lee and I our conversations could seriously drag out for a good few hours so I'll let you all get back to those JVC. 
smile.gif

I know this is waaay late, not not entirely on-topic, but I do want to comment about this, since I am sometimes surprised by the asking price for used gear here.  Yes, when you resell something it is USED. In the case of direct import stuff like the 850s, there is no easily usable warranty unless you are in Japan, so the used piece has higher value relative to new gear than when the item is available new in your market.  Note, most warranties are NOT transferable, so $20 off is a crappy deal for the buyer.  

just my 2 cents worth (shipping fees and paypal not included)  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #540 of 3,535
  I know this is waaay late, not not entirely on-topic, but I do want to comment about this, since I am sometimes surprised by the asking price for used gear here.  Yes, when you resell something it is USED. In the case of direct import stuff like the 850s, there is no easily usable warranty unless you are in Japan, so the used piece has higher value relative to new gear than when the item is available new in your market.  Note, most warranties are NOT transferable, so $20 off is a crappy deal for the buyer.  

just my 2 cents worth (shipping fees and paypal not included)  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Why thank you for quoting me on that fzman, you really caught me out there mate!

Now, I must get back to what I was doing unfortunately . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back