The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Apr 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #541 of 3,535

Why thank you for quoting me on that fzman, you really caught me out there mate!

Now, I must get back to what I was doing unfortunately . 

Now I am not sure if it was you or Lee that I meant to quote - but my comment was intended to express some surprise that people would buy used for only a $20 reduction relative to new pricing - not a criticism per se - it's a free market after all....  

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #542 of 3,535
When I first got into this hobby, I bought a TF10 and an IE8 - and those two cans complimented each other - one was the big expansive dynamic driver phone and the other was the fast, bright, punchy BA phone...

As I have upgraded over the years, these two presentations have somewhat merged into one with first my 8A and now my JH16FP - but if I was (and I probably will when the price comes down a bit more) to buy a spiritual successor to my IE8's, it would have to be the 850. So I don't think it is a natural upgrade from the TF10 - but I am sure it IS an upgrade from the TF10. IMHO

So you mean the sound signature isn't the same? Because I usually just eq it anyway :D. How much do the fx850s cost in the U.S? I see them on eBay, but eBay isn't the most accurate.

Edit: it looks like the cord is removable as well, where can one get a replacement cable if it breaks?

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #543 of 3,535

Now I am not sure if it was you or Lee that I meant to quote - but my comment was intended to express some surprise that people would buy used for only a $20 reduction relative to new pricing - not a criticism per se - it's a free market after all....  

When I sell gear it tends to be for quite a bit more than a $20 loss. Probably $50+ usually and that also includes shipping costs to the buyer. It also depends on what gear you are selling. Gear that is cheaper you tend to take a lesser hit on it. Gear that is more expensive well...

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #544 of 3,535
So you mean the sound signature isn't the same? Because I usually just eq it anyway
biggrin.gif
. How much do the fx850s cost in the U.S? I see them on eBay, but eBay isn't the most accurate.

Edit: it looks like the cord is removable as well, where can one get a replacement cable if it breaks?

Right now on buysmart japan - they are about $375 shipped to the USA - and the connectors are standard MMCX - so Westone, Shure, UE cables will fit.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #546 of 3,535
Right now on buysmart japan - they are about $375 shipped to the USA - and the connectors are standard MMCX - so Westone, Shure, UE cables will fit.

Alright thanks. Guess I'll have to sell my oxidized Chris_Himself cable with reverse channels. (9_9 like that'll ever sell)

Hope they go down in price, considering ue tf 10 are like $320 on amazon now, it's not a ton more, but the sell price for tf10s still hasn't gone up.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #551 of 3,535

When I sell gear it tends to be for quite a bit more than a $20 loss. Probably $50+ usually and that also includes shipping costs to the buyer. It also depends on what gear you are selling. Gear that is cheaper you tend to take a lesser hit on it. Gear that is more expensive well...

I suggest you both refer to my Head-fi sales feedback and observe some of the inspiring prices I give on my items, also how happy my buyers are. When I move gear it's often gone in less than 24 hours for example, the original 1Plus2 (which Lee said there might not be any interest in) sold in less than five hours only two days ago, and It isn't an isolated case, I didn't earn 66 feedback points all 100% positive by lowering my items $20, I really doubt anyone doing so on all items would have such luck let alone gold stars which I'm happy to point out. If it were the case my gear would just sit there which brings me to the point. My theory was exclusively when FX850 was a hot topic (which I believe it isn't anymore personally) and would only be successful within a small  window. Something dug up from over 1.5 months ago then brought to the last page is irrelevant to the topic anymore imo and I'm afraid fzman kind of missed the boat, however I will address the comment for him regardless. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #552 of 3,535
Hey Hiflight, I remember you having a great review of the RE600 when they came out. Would you consider the FX850 an upgrade to the RE600? Are they even similar sounding r two different beasts? Thanks!

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #554 of 3,535
Afternoon all,

Slightly off topic, but I'm flying to Japan on Saturday and I'm looking to pick up a pair of FX850's (and also maybe the FX750's to compare them!). Does anyone know of any good shops in Tokyo for IEM's? Or would I be better off just buying them for amazon.jp and getting them sent to my hotel?

I'm not sure if I get the VAT off if I buy them in a highstreet store...

Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back