The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Apr 10, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #496 of 3,535
The FX650's are already sounding better after a good 24 hours plus burn in.  I think the price of the FX750's are only around $30 more than the FX650's currently, so that's a no brainer for some woodie goodness.  Even with the 850's around, I am finding that the 650's are worth keeping.  

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #497 of 3,535
The FX650's are already sounding better after a good 24 hours plus burn in.  I think the price of the FX750's are only around $30 more than the FX650's currently, so that's a no brainer for some woodie goodness.  Even with the 850's around, I am finding that the 650's are worth keeping.  

Yeah, they are quite literally half the price of the FX850's on amazon.jp right now. Which is a bargain considering the high praise these reviews are giving them

I really have to get james444 to tell us the difference between them. Me thinks a PM is in order.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #498 of 3,535
Yeah, they are quite literally half the price of the FX850's on amazon.jp right now. Which is a bargain considering the high praise these reviews are giving them

I really have to get james444 to tell us the difference between them. Me thinks a PM is in order.

I just read in James's thread that he tends to agree with a reviewer that the differences seem to mainly be the cable. Good news.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #500 of 3,535
I just read in James's thread that he tends to agree with a reviewer that the differences seem to mainly be the cable. Good news.

Very good news. Now, do I opt for the cheaper option, or get the flagship for even more music euphoria when I upgrade the cables.... Hmmm, options.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #501 of 3,535
I'd pay $30 more for a detachable cable. Wish they had put it on the 650. I would buy one right now.

Knowing that cables are almost always the first thing to fail, it's hard for me to justify purchasing an IEM over $150 that doesn't have a detachable cable.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #502 of 3,535
I'd pay $30 more for a detachable cable. Wish they had put it on the 650. I would buy one right now.

Knowing that cables are almost always the first thing to fail, it's hard for me to justify purchasing an IEM over $150 that doesn't have a detachable cable.

That's the thing. The only model with detachable cables are the FX850s, which atm is twice the price of the 750s. Not sure if it's justifiable at that pricepoint since sound has been confirmed(almost) to be quite similar. The option to just swap out cables when the time comes to replace them is tempting, but at that price I could probably get another pair of 750s for less.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #504 of 3,535
Did the price just jump up for the 750, on AmazonJP? 

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #506 of 3,535
I am continuing to be amazed by the 850's. They sound great straight out of my Tera, but if I hook the Tera up to my iCAN amp, the sound can make my jaw drop. So much body and fullness to the tone without getting muddy. This is after 3 days of pretty constant burning in. And with the 3D feature on the iCAN, the soundstage is almost unbelievable for an in ear headphone.

The other quality that stands out is how instruments just sound right and real. One of the toughest things for me on most headphones is the trumpet. It often gets harsh or bright and almost hurts on a lot of headphones. But on these the trumpet sounds amazingly real and yet smooth at the same time. Also drums come across as more real sounding than any other headphone I have owned. Not to mention the flute which can sound like a toy whistle on other headphones, but simply sounds like a flute on these.

I am going to try the FBI silver cable I have on order, and I am also going to be trying them again with the more portable iCAN Nano amp along with some attenuators that iFi is sending me to correct the hiss I heard with the 850's on the Nano....but it is hard to imagine much room for improvement.

I do not have a lot of experience with high end iem's but these are completely changing my opinion of what is possible. It reminds me of when my friend in Spain drove me around in a Smart car. We would drive for a while and then when I got out of the car, I would look back at it and say, "Oh my god, we were driving around in that tiny little thing!"  When we were inside going down the road, it did not feel like we were in such a small vehicle....but from the outside, it sure was tiny. Same with these 850's: I can hardly believe they are just small little cylinders when I take them out of my ears. The sound is like a big powerful Mercedes sedan.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #507 of 3,535
I just bought a pair of the 650s on Ebay for my dear wife.....she has been using $10 earbuds, and it doesn't seem fair.

And of course, it means I get to try them out also to see how close they come to the 850s
cool.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #508 of 3,535
I just bought a pair of the 650s on Ebay for my dear wife.....she has been using $10 earbuds, and it doesn't seem fair.

And of course, it means I get to try them out also to see how close they come to the 850s :cool:

What a guy! You should score big-time points for that. Of course you would score more points by giving her your 850's! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back