The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Apr 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #467 of 3,535
That is what I thought....but not really so sure I want to buy a $400 cable for the JVCs.

I wouldn't ever recommend it. Give James444's mod a try and it'll do more for the sig than any cable or burn in ever will. The bass is too obtrusive and boomy in stock form IMO

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #468 of 3,535
Hi, would appreciate someone that owns both the TF10 and FX850 to post a pic of them side by side. Need to have an idea how big the housing is to help me decide. Thanks.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #470 of 3,535
I wouldn't ever recommend it. Give James444's mod a try and it'll do more for the sig than any cable or burn in ever will. The bass is too obtrusive and boomy in stock form IMO

I am waiting for the break-in to be more complete, but I find most headphone bass is too polite, and so far I am enjoying the bass quantity. So I may not want it to be less. Still it is good to know there is an easy way to tune the JVC's if desired.

Also the Tera is known to have a little roll off in the bass, especially with low impedance headphones. So it might be a case of perfect synergy with the JVC's.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #473 of 3,535
Any impressions on how this cable affected the sound?

I still haven't properly a/b'd it since I don't want to keep taking the cable on and off but what I immediately notice is the vocals are more forward and larger stage or the placement of instruments is better defined. I don't hear much change in bass. What I hear is a small difference in sound. I'll report back once I properly compare the cables.

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #474 of 3,535
I am back to listening to the JVC's with my big iCAN with the battery. It is not super portable, but it does add a degree of realism with the 3D effect on the iCAN and really makes the JVC's shine. So for longer focused listening, I will pull out the iCAN, and then for less serious listening at the computer or the like, I will just use the Tera by itself. As good as they sound with the Tera, they are at another level with the iCAN.  (Too bad the portable iCAN Nano had a problem with hiss as it would have been the best of both worlds....portable iCAN goodness)

I even use the lower level of bass boost on the iCAN as the effect is limited to the lowest frequencies and it fills in the sound in a nice way. I guess I truly am a basshead :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #475 of 3,535
How would any of these potentially pair, with the RSA P-51? That's my main amp.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #476 of 3,535
I still haven't properly a/b'd it since I don't want to keep taking the cable on and off but what I immediately notice is the vocals are more forward and larger stage or the placement of instruments is better defined. I don't hear much change in bass. What I hear is a small difference in sound. I'll report back once I properly compare the cables.

I just picked up an FBI solid core OCC silver cable with Shure connectors that was just listed in the classifieds, so I will have something to try now also with my JVC's. I guess FBI is the new company by Ted Allen who used to make all of the Chris Himself cables. His new website is http://headphonelounge.com/

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #477 of 3,535
How would any of these potentially pair, with the RSA P-51? That's my main amp.

Never heard the P-51 but have had a couple of Ray's amps and should sound awesome with it, especially if it tightens up the bass which is a plus with RSA amps.

I just picked up an FBI solid core OCC silver cable with Shure connectors that was just listed in the classifieds, so I will have something to try now also with my JVC's. I guess FBI is the new company by Ted Allen who used to make all of the Chris Himself cables. His new website is http://headphonelounge.com/

I have owned one of his cables before and will look forward to your impressions when you receive it.  

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #478 of 3,535
The FX850 looks big on picture. I have small ears and might need an idea how big it is compared to let's say the TF10. Anyone here had both and can share some thoughts. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #479 of 3,535
I received the 650 today and for those who already own the 850, save yourself the money because the 850's are better in a big way.  650's don't sound any closer to neutral, still has the big bass but loses out on the clarity and definition of the 850's.  650's still sound very good and you will get a good sense of how the 850's sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back