The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #22,216 of 22,424
Cable question:

I can't afford the Superconductor, even at its used pricing. The stock cable sounds great, but is stiff and unwieldily. Curious if you guys have found an aftermarket cable that performs as well as the stock cable?
I can only speak for the brilliance of Lavricables Grand for my Diana TC.
I sometimes wonder what one would be like for the 1266, but the performance of the Diana suggests to me it could be great.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #22,217 of 22,424
I can only speak for the brilliance of Lavricables Grand for my Diana TC.
I sometimes wonder what one would be like for the 1266, but the performance of the Diana suggests to me it could be great.
Much appreciated. I'll look into those. Also, very nice of you to share the personal impact of music and what it means to you today to hear those songs tied to such intensely personal life events.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #22,218 of 22,424
Much appreciated. I'll look into those. Also, very nice of you to share the personal impact of music and what it means to you today to hear those songs tied to such intensely personal life events.
By the way, if the Grand are too expensive it appears from others experience that the slightly cheaper lines like Master and Ultimate are still excellent too. I would have happily bought the Master cable for my Diana TC.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #22,219 of 22,424
I used to have a subpac but tossed it as the seller gave me a very disgusting unit, and the preorder of the subpac X1 took like 3 years (still not ready afaik) to come out so I dropped the whole tactile bass stuff.
I use a Subpac with the 1266 and love it. What do you mean by a “very disgusting unit”? I agree the wait for the new model has been beyond frustrating.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #22,220 of 22,424
I use a Subpac with the 1266 and love it. What do you mean by a “very disgusting unit”? I agree the wait for the new model has been beyond frustrating.
It was a used S2 unit off of ebay and dude had the control box covered in sticky goop. I was carving out sludge from the box for over an hour. And the coiled cable that connects from the box to the unit ripped open, exposing the 3 individual wires which became super tangled and impossible to manage. Between the messy control unit and now wires everywhere I threw it away. It was a nice addition when I had it, but the mess wasn't worth it. I'd get a newer unit but...

Cancelled my preorder for the X1 after waiting like 4 years for an "already finished" product. They lied about the product being ready to ship for years. Month after month they came up with a new excuse as to why our orders weren't ready. Now the price has trippled so I can't get my original pre-order price back.

Tactile bass is still really good with headphones though, especially 1266. Open back headphones benefit from it unlike closed backs and in-ears which directly channel the tactile vibrations into the inner ear via bone conduction. That leads to a loud and deafening 2-5x~ increase in bass. Since the 1266 doesn't clamp and is also open 1266, you simply only feel the added bass which is exactly the intendid use case with subpac.

Was playing Scarlet Nexus and when the track "faded bustles" came on, the subpac really hit hard down low, lower than the 1266 can even play lol. It's a great augment for headphones, but it did feel a little slow and unable to keep up with the TC's speed. Maybe newer model's faster.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #22,221 of 22,424
I have M2 for sale in EU in good condition if anyone is interested. Those remotes are made out of this type of plastic I'm afraid, mine is not disgusting or anything tho 😂

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #22,223 of 22,424
Okay. I think I've been using the TCs incorrectly, 😂.

Previously, I had my ears positioned either in the center or at the back of the earcups. Later, for whatever reason, I brought the front side of the earcups towards my ears by maneuvering my head and......the bass is exploding, lmao. Obviously, track-dependent, but Christ. I can FEEL the bass!! Sheeeeshhhh! Insanity!
Imagine a dinosaur walking towards you. With every footstep (mid-bass), you can feel the after-effect/rumble (sub-bass). This is what I feel now, except the feeling is limited to my ear region cause of Physics, lol.

I don't know if any other HP can do this; it's crazy. I'm also kinda happy I have the option to revert my ears back to the old position if I'm not in the mood because some tracks make the bass overwhelming (which I still love!). And, if I'm in the mood for an absolute mess and headache, there is EQ, lol.

Here are some tracks that were amazing with this:
  1. Sokio (by Skeler)
  2. One Day (by Skeler)
  3. Sun Dimension (by Neil Ramos)
  4. One Thing (by Zeu5 & Kondo)
  5. Be Different (by Gentleman)

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #22,224 of 22,424

Previously, I had my ears positioned either in the center or at the back of the earcups. Later, for whatever reason, I brought the front side of the earcups towards my ears by maneuvering my head and......the bass is exploding, lmao. Obviously, track-dependent, but Christ. I can FEEL the bass!! Sheeeeshhhh! Insanity!
Imagine a dinosaur walking towards you. With every footstep (mid-bass), you can feel the after-effect/rumble (sub-bass). This is what I feel now, except the feeling is limited to my ear region cause of Physics, lol.

I don't know if any other HP can do this; it's crazy. I'm also kinda happy I have the option to revert my ears back to the old position if I'm not in the mood because some tracks make the bass overwhelming (which I still love!). And, if I'm in the mood for an absolute mess and headache, there is EQ, lol.

1. Sokio (by Skeler)
  2. One Day (by Skeler)
I think that is one of the things I love about the TCs , a little bit of repositioniong or toe in or out can change the sound so much.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #22,225 of 22,424

1. Sokio (by Skeler)
  2. One Day (by Skeler)
Yes, it's a cool phenomenon and a bit counter-intuitive. If you open up the air gap just a bit (or however much you like), the bass/sub-bass will become more prominent. It's actually measurable and described in this video below:

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #22,226 of 22,424
I think that is one of the things I love about the TCs , a little bit of repositioniong or toe in or out can change the sound so much.
True! At first, I had a few issues figuring out which position I'd like the seam to be at cause of comfort and imbalance. I'm not sure who suggested 9 o'clock here, but it's the one that has been working well for me since. I was surprised by how different the sounds were when going back and forth between the new and old positions.

Yes, it's a cool phenomenon and a bit counter-intuitive. If you open up the air gap just a bit (or however much you like), the bass/sub-bass will become more prominent. It's actually measurable and described in this video below:

Oh, I saw that video before. It's nice how he was able to measure it. I thought that massive peak (3rd graph) would cause a lot of distortion. It's what I experienced when I first received and tried these HPs. I need to try different pad positions again for this, but I'm worried about them tearing off from the ring (even if I follow the right removal steps). And some of that FR roll-off, lol.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #22,227 of 22,424
Frankly the vid, wasn’t reassuring to none users. I want to strap on my headphone, fire and forget. No eq, no toe in or out. For whatever knock hd800S or for different reasons, susvara may have, it’s plug n play. LCD 5 for ex need for eq is a turn off. I want bare back o natural in my hp. Course no diss and just imo

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #22,228 of 22,424
It's more convoluted than anything. The fitment allows a wide-range of adjustability.

I've found my range, I never have to adjust or fiddle with the fit.

Audiophiles are fickle.

Those whom don't have struggle with EQ. Those with tubes find enlightenment.

Don't bottleneck the TC and you will experience world-class performance.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #22,229 of 22,424
Just another confirmation for those reading this thread that don't currently own them, but are considering a purchase... after performing the initial adjustments, my 1266 hold their position just fine. I don't have to re-adjust them when taking them on and off. So my pair are "set and forget".

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #22,230 of 22,424
It's more convoluted than anything. The fitment allows a wide-range of adjustability.

I've found my range, I never have to adjust or fiddle with the fit.

Audiophiles are fickle.

Those whom don't have struggle with EQ. Those with tubes find enlightenment.

Don't bottleneck the TC and you will experience world-class performance.
agreed, fantastic HP and truly world class with a good tube amp

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back