The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #22,232 of 22,482
Okay. I think I've been using the TCs incorrectly, 😂.

Previously, I had my ears positioned either in the center or at the back of the earcups. Later, for whatever reason, I brought the front side of the earcups towards my ears by maneuvering my head and......the bass is exploding, lmao. Obviously, track-dependent, but Christ. I can FEEL the bass!! Sheeeeshhhh! Insanity!
Imagine a dinosaur walking towards you. With every footstep (mid-bass), you can feel the after-effect/rumble (sub-bass). This is what I feel now, except the feeling is limited to my ear region cause of Physics, lol.

I don't know if any other HP can do this; it's crazy. I'm also kinda happy I have the option to revert my ears back to the old position if I'm not in the mood because some tracks make the bass overwhelming (which I still love!). And, if I'm in the mood for an absolute mess and headache, there is EQ, lol.

Here are some tracks that were amazing with this:
  1. Sokio (by Skeler)
  2. One Day (by Skeler)
  3. Sun Dimension (by Neil Ramos)
  4. One Thing (by Zeu5 & Kondo)
  5. Be Different (by Gentleman)

I believe the "bass explosion" comes from a full but light earpad contact. A little gap from this point doesn't hurt but you'll get into distortion territory with obvious gaps. When you take it off and hear it distorting from bass alone, it's an indicator that the drivers are moving a ton of air, but it all means nothing if the earpads can't redirect the bass to you. That's where your fitment comes in.

The earpads have to actually be able to redirect the bass towards your ear and keep it from escaping. A toe-out opens up the back and tapers down to the front, resulting in a better contour of the head. There's not really one way to do this since everyone has a different head shape and/or glasses, but for me the rear toe-out helps align the earpads to my head shape. You should be able to trace the contact point of the earpads all the way around your ear. Shouldn't be tight at all, and there shouldn't be any obvious gaps. But again, a little is fine. I have glasses so those are my gap. This type of fitment maximizes the amount of air the driver has to work with while also preventing most of the bass from escaping. And you can always just widen out the frame for more air or increase the angle of the toe out. It's not uncomfortable with mild toe-out.

The driver never does anything differently; it's just the bass that it is outputting is being lost due to your fitment, or in some cases not reaching your ear. When you readjusted, your ears found the bass.

I would if I could but I kinda want a mod for deeper, larger pads and increasing the amount of width you can pull the headphone. Would be bass heaven.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #22,233 of 22,482
Does no one want the XIAUDIO stack for Abyss headphones anymore? I've had mine for sale on here for over a week at crazy money and not had a single comment or PM of interest. At a certain point it stops being about 'how much is it', and is more 'are you even in the market for this thing'. Feel like I could list the FS/P stack for £1000 and it still wouldn't move. Weird. It sounds incredible, but I'm wanting to check out other things.

This isn't an ad, btw. I'm genuinely confused as to the lack of interest.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #22,234 of 22,482
Does no one want the XIAUDIO stack for Abyss headphones anymore? I've had mine for sale on here for over a week at crazy money and not had a single comment or PM of interest. At a certain point it stops being about 'how much is it', and is more 'are you even in the market for this thing'. Feel like I could list the FS/P stack for £1000 and it still wouldn't move. Weird. It sounds incredible, but I'm wanting to check out other things.

Inflation, cost of living, interest rates…

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #22,235 of 22,482

A week is nothing around here. Buyers tend to want stuff for at least 50% off retail at a minimum, even if it is barely used. Some buyers even think 75% off is reasonable. Chumps like me that mostly buy new at full retail take a big hit, but, I know that stuff going in, so, it is, what it is.

I've sold quite a bit of gear here, and even though I usually start at around 50% off retail, sometimes it can take a long time, occasionally even 6 months. And then, suddenly, buyers pop up with interest. Patience is key.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #22,236 of 22,482
Inflation, cost of living, interest rates…
Meanwhile we're all over here throwing down $4k on Campfire Trifectas because of some favourable mentions on the CanJam impressions thread, and throwing 10k down on the new RAAL. The real world doesn't really apply to us, does it?? :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #22,237 of 22,482

You are new around here. You'll learn.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #22,238 of 22,482
I believe the "bass explosion" comes from a full but light earpad contact. A little gap from this point doesn't hurt but you'll get into distortion territory with obvious gaps. When you take it off and hear it distorting from bass alone, it's an indicator that the drivers are moving a ton of air, but it all means nothing if the earpads can't redirect the bass to you. That's where your fitment comes in.

The earpads have to actually be able to redirect the bass towards your ear and keep it from escaping. A toe-out opens up the back and tapers down to the front, resulting in a better contour of the head. There's not really one way to do this since everyone has a different head shape and/or glasses, but for me the rear toe-out helps align the earpads to my head shape. You should be able to trace the contact point of the earpads all the way around your ear. Shouldn't be tight at all, and there shouldn't be any obvious gaps. But again, a little is fine. I have glasses so those are my gap. This type of fitment maximizes the amount of air the driver has to work with while also preventing most of the bass from escaping. And you can always just widen out the frame for more air or increase the angle of the toe out. It's not uncomfortable with mild toe-out.

The driver never does anything differently; it's just the bass that it is outputting is being lost due to your fitment, or in some cases not reaching your ear. When you readjusted, your ears found the bass.

I would if I could but I kinda want a mod for deeper, larger pads and increasing the amount of width you can pull the headphone. Would be bass heaven.
The light earpad contact was the case with the seam of the pads at the original position (11 o'clock, I think). And, when my face was thinner, haha. This was during the first few weeks of receiving my TCs.
The way I use it now, in addition to the 9 o'clock position, is by keeping the width at its max and tilting the TCs completely forward. That is my default adjustment position, and has been for a while.

I see what you mean, however. The gap was a little much at start, but not anymore. I feel the earpads all around my ears, but is a little tight, given how my face got wider later. I tried with my glasses too, but their arms would almost break and also give me a headache, lol. So, I rest their arms on top of the earpads, hahaha. It looks weird, but I can't do anything else.

100% agree on that mod. I'd love more soundstage and bass (relative to the distance)!

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #22,239 of 22,482
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #22,240 of 22,482
Meanwhile we're all over here throwing down $4k on Campfire Trifectas because of some favourable mentions on the CanJam impressions thread, and throwing 10k down on the new RAAL. The real world doesn't really apply to us, does it?? :)
Yeah, it’s comical at times. There are also heaps of people who think a $4k headphone or IEM is perfect straight from their laptop, so they never look to a dac or amp. And then, as mentioned above, there are the loonies who think even half price is paying too much. Lots of people seem to want something for nothing.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #22,242 of 22,482

I think it is mostly that the used market is slow in general right now, but there are also a few other reasons.

1.) You are based in Scotland/UK. Its a smaller market than North America, so there are less people that might be interested. I spend quite a bit of time in Scotland and have experienced this also.

2.) Pricing disparity also keeps North American buyers away from UK/EU sales, so again the market is smaller. For example, a Formula S with Powerman, based on a few recent North America based sales, would be listed for around 2800USD, and might sell for less once negotiation happens behind the scenes. Yours is listed for right around $3500USD. This is mostly due to VAT ( 20%) and the fact that audio equipment costs more at MSRP regardless of brand in the UK and EU in comparison to its North American MSRP. Basically, if you are selling in the UK, you are only going to be appealing to the UK (and maybe EU) market, which again is smaller.

3.) But yeah, mostly the used market is just slow right now in general barring a few really hot ticket items.

There might be other reasons, thats just what I can come up with to help from the top of my head :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #22,243 of 22,482
I think it is mostly that the used market is slow in general right now, but there are also a few other reasons.

1.) You are based in Scotland/UK. Its a smaller market than North America, so there are less people that might be interested. I spend quite a bit of time in Scotland and have experienced this also.

2.) Pricing disparity also keeps North American buyers away from UK/EU sales, so again the market is smaller. For example, a Formula S with Powerman, based on a few recent North America based sales, would be listed for around 2800USD, and might sell for less once negotiation happens behind the scenes. Yours is listed for right around $3500USD. This is mostly due to VAT ( 20%) and the fact that audio equipment costs more at MSRP regardless of brand in the UK and EU in comparison to its North American MSRP. Basically, if you are selling in the UK, you are only going to be appealing to the UK (and maybe EU) market, which again is smaller.

3.) But yeah, mostly the used market is just slow right now in general barring a few really hot ticket items.

There might be other reasons, thats just what I can come up with to help from the top of my head :)
That all makes perfect sense. Thanks :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #22,244 of 22,482
This album is the fukcing sh!t

XiyTlQV.png

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #22,245 of 22,482

Users who are viewing this thread

Back