The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #18,331 of 22,491
OK so I've been running the 1266s off my SU-9 -> A90 combo and I'm not getting any weird midrange wackiness i was getting with the TToby. Just nice and smooth. Was getting pretty nervous there for a bit. Going to get a FS+PM and work from there.

The Topping A90 is ridiculous for the price. I mean sure I'm almost certainly not getting everything out of the 1266 with it, but I'm getting a LOT out of it.
Consider a wa33, its a fantastic amp for abyss tc.

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #18,332 of 22,491
Yes biggest thing of the TC is bass which only dynamics can give you a close taste if it's right type like Fostex TH900. Only other planar within proximity is my Modded T50rp. Crappy thing with the TC is that bass can shift to one side if not placed correctly or just moving out of the equal point. EDM is the easiest music to hear this happen. For me I was lucky on my newest pair that the ear pads are fully circular on the inside making turning the pad so the thicker part is on the bottom this gives the gap of about hair all around better and producing better bass. The other pads I had where more oval inside so turning only caused my ears to get squished as i tuned and made it uncomfortable to use. I thought Abyss changed the pads but Joe said they didn't.

So because of this bass of the TC is so addictive and not attainable on other planar headphones I'm more attracted to dynamics, but feel planar is cooler being it is more unusual driver type if you grew up on cone speakers.

I have the pads currently positioned with the stitch at 2 and 10 position with tiny tow towards the front of my face. Still have to sit without leaning to either side. I can slouch forward or lay straight back in my couch.

I'm curious how much difference we hear between each other being my fit isn't going to work the same for you as my head is round.
How did you get those earpads with circular interior?

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #18,333 of 22,491
OK so I've been running the 1266s off my SU-9 -> A90 combo and I'm not getting any weird midrange wackiness i was getting with the TToby. Just nice and smooth. Was getting pretty nervous there for a bit. Going to get a FS+PM and work from there.

The Topping A90 is ridiculous for the price. I mean sure I'm almost certainly not getting everything out of the 1266 with it, but I'm getting a LOT out of it.

Don't forget about the other amp brands. XI is solid choice. Its not important but it's non balanced which I like more. You may want to check out the Wells Audio Dragon level 3 if you're looking at that price range. Dragon utilizes current of 1 amp and 5 watts so it's stronger amp. Mainly you'll see milli amps of current. Amp is dead silent with super efficient headphones. The gains are different and if your home has noise there's 4 types of grounding. It's hybrid with option of 12bh7 or 6992. The 5 watts is not really it's power output to figure that out you have to do math. If it was 5 watts the Susvara wouldn't sound good on it. It does take up some space.
PXL_20210903_210804009.jpg

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #18,335 of 22,491
Hi guys, I had the chance to try out the AB-1266 Phi TC today, along with a load of other high-end headphones. I was there to try out the Ferrum Oor for use with my Susvara, and ended up buying one along with the Hypsos. To cut a long story short, I thought the 1266 sounded incredible - the stage, the bass, the transparency... If the Susvara is an angel, the 1266 is devil. I can't stop thinking about it, simply because out of everything I've tried, it seems to actually do something to set itself meaningfully apart from other headphones. It was the sort of sound signature I'd expect from speakers, not from headphones.

My only issue was that I did not find them comfortable at all, although I put them on as I found them, and didn't adjust them to fit my head in any way. Are these headphones going to be significantly more comfortable after I've adjusted them to fit me? If so, I'm going to have to seriously think about how I can get a pair.

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #18,336 of 22,491
Hi guys, I had the chance to try out the AB-1266 Phi TC today, along with a load of other high-end headphones. I was there to try out the Ferrum Oor for use with my Susvara, and ended up buying one along with the Hypsos. To cut a long story short, I thought the 1266 sounded incredible - the stage, the bass, the transparency... If the Susvara is an angel, the 1266 is devil. I can't stop thinking about it, simply because out of everything I've tried, it seems to actually do something to set itself meaningfully apart from other headphones. It was the sort of sound signature I'd expect from speakers, not from headphones.

My only issue was that I did not find them comfortable at all, although I put them on as I found them, and didn't adjust them to fit my head in any way. Are these headphones going to be significantly more comfortable after I've adjusted them to fit me? If so, I'm going to have to seriously think about how I can get a pair.
It takes a good 10 minutes initially to put them on and get the setting right. You go through tweaking it for a day or two and by day 3 you've got the fit dialed in and it's very comfortable. That was my experience and others have had a similar one with the fit.

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #18,337 of 22,491

In a word yes! You just have to look at this thread to see how many of us struggled initially with the fit etc . But god they are worth persisting with

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #18,338 of 22,491
When will be the highly teased new abyss product launching? Will we be seeing it in 2021?

I'm guessing we might see it for NYC Can Jam in Feb 2022. Its at the end of Feb.

Abyss is NY state based, so that sort of made sense in my mind.

Of course, I guess it depends on how the final development and tuning is going for them, as well as the global supply shortages : )

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #18,339 of 22,491

Takes time to find the perfect fit as you have to try multiple earpad positions plus different toe ins but when you do finally get it right it's :metal: :L3000:

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #18,340 of 22,491
I thought I would follow up about the 1266TC super conductor cable that I recently purchased. This is hands down the most expensive audio cable I have purchased but I managed to get it for a great price. I went for the 2.4m/8 foot version as my setup is part of my home cinema and needed the length. I'm currently using a formula S/powerman with Dave and M-Scaler

Joe from Abyss recommends 70 hours burn in and I've got 150 hours on the cable so far. I let it burn in for 96 hours straight (while I was sleeping) while listening around 6 hours every night as well.

I'm really impressed with what the SC cable has added. This cable really changes the 1266TC.There is substantially more bass over the stock cable. Bass hits Harder and goes deeper. There is just this amazing weight and depth to the music now. I mainly listen to alot of heavy metal and EDM ( as well as many other genres) where bass is very important and it's made a substantial difference.

Soundstage width and depth is slightly bigger and the midrange is brought forward and fuller sounding over stock.

What hit me right away is the smoothness this cable has added. Everything is much easier to listen to. The stock cable in comparison sounds thinner and harsher on certain music especially certain female vocals. The sc cable is thicker sounding with every so slightly more warmth with treble sparkle. I would would go as far as saying it sounds slightly more dynamic and just very clear and defined.

It's a very expensive cable no doubt but in my opinion was worth the money and I'm super happy with the results. The build quality is night and day compared to the stock cable. The furutech mini 3 pin XLR's , chrome 4 pin XLR and braided cable are absolutely stunning in hand. I don't like using the word musical but that's exactly what this cable does over the stock cable which is more analytical. This cable is making me question every other cable in my chain now lol :L3000:

Hi there,

Was there a specific reason why you didn’t opt for the dual 3pin XLR and chose the 4pin XLR instead?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #18,341 of 22,491
Hi there,

Was there a specific reason why you didn’t opt for the dual 3pin XLR and chose the 4pin XLR instead?

Thanks in advance.

Not to answer for @DJJEZ , but here are my thoughts:

I have the dual 3 pin XLR and had the Formula S and now Wa33, but listened to the 4 pin xlr and if there is a difference - I can’t here it. Also, if you want to connect to an amp without dual 3 pin - you have to use an adapter which (sort of ) defeats the purpose of having the best connection possible. Last, I imagine the 4 pin has higher resale value.

I think the dual 3 pin is a marginally nicer cable because you get two of those beautiful furutech XLRs instead of one - eliminate the possibility of cable crosstalk - but practically, I think the 4 pin cable makes a lot more sense - and you're not giving up anything from a sound quality perspective.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #18,342 of 22,491
If people have the dual 3 pin SPC, I got this beautiful furutech dual 3 pin to 4 pin adapter cable built by drew at Moon Audio:

Adapter.jpg

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #18,343 of 22,491

Yes. I have had them for a few years and comfort is not an issue at all. I got adjusted to the old headband, but the new headband is better - and that much more comfortable.

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #18,344 of 22,491
A new paradigm is exactly right. Took this STAX boy and ruined him. LOL

Me too. Once I heard the Abyss TC at Canjam, I sold my 009 and Carbon and bought an Abyss set up - and @paradoxper had the KG DIY T2, the holy grail electrostat amp. So if he got an Abyss, you know they are doing something right.

I was very close to getting a DIY T2 commissioned by Kerry, who is an excellent builder. But, the Abyss ruined me as well.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #18,345 of 22,491
spot on, all this stuff is worth whatever people will pay for it and nobody forces anyone to buy anything..if you think it is too expensive simply buy something else

The SC cable made the biggest difference of any cable I have ever tried, whether headphone, interconnect, or otherwise. It is expensive. But, it does make a significant improvement. Do I wish it was less expensive? Yes - it definitely is a lot for a cable. But if you have an Abyss centric system, I think you are going to eventually get it, because of how good it is. Others may disagree - but I had it on trial twice with the Cable Company before I got it. I will say the strength of it's effects are amp dependent. It had more of an impact on my Formula S than on my Wa33. But that is either because the Formula S is single ended, or they built it to somehow be more affected by the SC cable. I like it better on my Wa33 - because on the Formula S it was almost like too much of a good thing in my setup (though I still prefer it to the stock cable on the formula s). But this is strictly IMO, and DACs and other components are going to predicate how well it synergizes with your system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back